Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

With regard to Auxillary Hospital

jemm

I recently contacted the British Red Cross to see if they held any information on the Auxillary hospital that was in my village during the Great War. They have very kindly sent me some statistical information on the hospital but have suggested I get hold of a book called East Lancashire Branch BRCS: An illustrated account of the work of the Branch during the first year of the war. Published by Sherratt & Hughes, Manchester, 1916.

I have searched all over for this book and am now at a dead end any ideas as to where I might get hold of a copy either to copy the extract out I need for Fernhill or to buy etc.

Jemm, You won't like the price but I have found this one in Lancashire.

East Lancashire Branch British Red Cross Society

Sherratt & Hughes Manchester 1916. " An illustrated account of the work of the branch during the first year of the war ". xxiii. 312 pp. plus 64 full page photo illustrations of hospitals throughout the region including Manchester districts. External and some internal views together with group photos, ambulances etc. Original half calf and green cloth, five raised bands with gilt impressed title label. TEG, otherwise uncut. ink inscription dated 1916 on second front free E/p. Green calf faded to brown on front spine. a little spine edge rubbing, bindings firm and overall a clean very good copy of this scarce record.

Bookseller Inventory #90

Price: US$ 226.14

Bookseller: M. Carter, 49, West Drive,, Leyland,, Lancashire, UK, United Kingdom, PR25 5PE

Terms of Sale: P/P extra on all books listed. Heavy volumes will be restricted to posting within the UK only. If in any doubt please contact me direct before ordering. Also happy to provide more detailed descriptions. All overseas orders will be sent by air mail.

Shipping Terms: Shipping costs are based on books weighing 2.2 LB, or 1 KG. If your book order is heavy or oversized, we may contact you to let you know extra shipping is required. (Minimum postage is £2.50)

Accepted Payment Methods:

- Visa

- MasterCard

- Cheque

- Cash

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to find this book for me Jim but yes your right I don't like the price lol it is way out of my league at the moment.

Unless of course I can persuade the other commitee members at my museum to buy it ( some hope ).

Jemm

Try the inter-library loan service, and also ask about the British Library Lending Division. The latter may be able to issue a copy of the book to your local library temporarily, if they have it. . You may have to read the book at your local library, rather than be allowed to take it home though. There is normally a small charge for these services.

Terry Reeves

Thanks for the suggestion Terry I will try that.

Im sure the whole book would be very intresting but it is really only the parts about Fernhill Auxillary Hospital that im really intrested in. My local history museum has lots of pictures of the nurses and doctors and even one or two of the nurses with the patients and staff but we have very little information on the names of nurses who worked there apart from one or two, and this book apparently lists the staff who worked there.

Anyways onwards and upwards as they say :)