Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MEDAL AWRD

Guest trigger

Guest trigger

MY LATE GRANDFATHER FRANK E GRAVER WHO WAS A QMSM WITH THE NORFOLK REGIMENT WAS AWARDED THE DCM DURING THE FIRST WAR.

THE MEDAL WENT MISSING MANY YEARS AGO ALTHOUGH MY AUNT STILL HAS THE RIBBON AND CITATION, SHE CANNOT NOW LOCATE THEM.

IN AN ATTEMPT TO FIND OUT HOW WHERE AND WHY THIS MEDAL WAS AWARDED I SEEM TO HAVE COME TO A DEAD END.

THE LONDON GAZETTE ONLINE HAS NO RECORD OF THIS AWARD WHICH MY AUNT SEEMS TO THINK WAS AWARDED AFTER THE SOMME, SHE CAN ALSO REMEMBER SEEING A LETTER FROM THE 1/4 NORFOLK REGIMENT AFTER HER FATHERS DEATH.

COULD ANYBODY HELP ME WITH THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS?

HOW CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE DCM AWARD?

SOME OF THE PHOTOS BELONGING TO MY GRANFATHER SEEM TO SHOW TROOPS IN TROPICAL UNIFORM AND ARMED WITH LEE METFORD OR SIMILAR RIFLES, ARE THESE RELEVENT TO MY SEARCH?.

YOURS RAY WRIGHT

Guest Hill 60

I've had a look in the Recipients of the DCM book I have found 200221 Col-Sjt (CQMS) Graver, F. E. 1st Bn Norfolk Regt. DCM in the London Gazette of 11/3/1920.

Alright Trigger

The info from your Aunt may be wrong (regarding after the Somme) as the 1/4th Norfolks never served on the Western Front. They landed at Sulva Bay on the Gallipoli Peninsular on the 10th August 1915. whilst there they would have recieved drafts of men so its not def that your Grandfather would have been part of these initial landings. They were evacuated to Alexandria on the 19th Dec 15 and went on to serve in Palestine (theres your tropical uniform), at the end of the war they were stationed in Beirut.

Hope this helps

Bill

Guest Ian Bowbrick

200221 CQMS F E Graver 1st Bn Norfolk Regt

DCM Citation:

'During the operations south-west of Cambrai, from 20 to 30 September, 1918, he showed great gallantry and devotion to duty, bringing rations to his company, often under shell and machine-gun fire. On the night of the 26/27 September at Metz-en-Couture, his ration party became casualties. He immediatley organised another another party, and, leading them forward again through the barrage, succeeded in delivering the rations to the company.'

Ian

:)