Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Roll

CROONAERT

Stu

This is what I enjoy about the forum, I am glad to have been of help.

I already checked Arrowsmith and I am afraid he is not listed. Research into the National Roll has not been done in any depth as far as I am aware and I am not aware of the ref numbers significance I am afraid.

Best wishes.

John.

Hi John,

Thanks for looking for me anyway.

Can you tell me,are all the volumes available still,I think I heard a while ago that they were being reprinted.

Thanks again for the info yesterday.

Kind regards.

Stu.

Dave,

Can I trouble you to look up the following Manchester names for me?

William A. Baker, Machine Gun Corps (d. 16th July 1918)

Myles Mason, K.O.R.L.R. (d. 21st April 1915)

John Mellon Hodgson, K.L.R. (d. 30th March 1918)

Cheers.

Andy.

Hi Dave

Would it be too much work to look up any K.S.L.I. lads, I know there were a lot from London area killed with the Regular Battalions. I do not want to ask too much, so if there are lots do not worry.

Regards

Annette

Stu. I believe that you can obtain (printed) copies from the N & MP (about £30 per volume if memory serves me correctly).

Andy. Sorry, but I'm afraid that another blank has been drawn :( (I even looked in the Salford volume to make sure)

Annette. Bit of a mammouth task there! The CD isn't searchable and is practically an electronic copy, page by page, of the original volume. It is possible, but would take a long time. However, if you can throw ,say 25 names or so my way (preferably in alphabetical order), I could always see what we come up with. (might find some others in between!)

Stu (and others),

As well as the Naval and Military reprints of the entire series (in so far as it was published) the CDs are also available from archive books for a number of the volumes - take a look at

http://www.rod-neep.co.uk/acatalog/Archive...ks_War_165.html

The site is teeming with genealogical (and other) items as well as these war volumes.

Martin

Stu (and others),

As well as the Naval and Military reprints of the entire series (in so far as it was published) the CDs are also available from archive books for a number of the volumes - take a look at

http://www.rod-neep.co.uk/acatalog/Archive...ks_War_165.html

The site is teeming with genealogical (and other) items as well as these war volumes.

Martin

This is where I got mine from, and can highly recommend them for quality and value.

One of the advantages in having them in this format is that you can save them onto your harddrive and it makes looking up the names far easier than having to plough through the pages of a book(I haven't even had to move when looking up any of the names on this thread!).

Dave

Hi Martin,

Thanks,I'll look into that.

In the meantime you don't happen to have the Salford/Manchester edtions,I'm looking for H.Mottershead,16th Lancs Fus(2nd Salford Pals).

I would be very grateful for any info you might find.

Many thanks.

Stu.

Stu.

No H.Mottersheads in either the Salford or Manchester volumes. (If it's any consolation, I've only ever found one out of the people that I've been researching in the whole series! )

Dave.

Thanks Dave

I will do that, I'll try and find a section of Regt. No.'s that I know are men from London or Manchester or one of the other areas covered by your CD. I am only after those who were not killed.

Thanks

Annette

Alan.

I've found 6 "possibilities". Do you have any other info (middle names, parts of addresses, regiment, etc.)?

Dave.

Dave

All I know was that, in 1901 he was living at 2 Carmarthen St Islington.

Thanks

Alan

• 5 weeks later...

Andy.

I know it may be a bit of a stupid question, but is it the London volumes that you want me to look in?

Dave.

Dave

Apologies. All the Spillers lived in Ludgate Circus EC4. Does that mean that they are in the London vols or is it done by Regimental location DWR, Vics etc.

Regards

Andy

Andy.

The volumes are usually arranged about where the soldier lived ,rather than regimentally. I've just looked in my 3 London volumes and only found one person with the name Spiller.Unfortunately, he's not one of the ones that you list. However I am 2 volumes short for London, so they may appear in one of those that I'm missing.

Sorry I can't help,

Dave.

• 7 months later...

Hi Dave,

Would it be possible for you to look in your London volumes for my grandfather William Mansell RN

His address given in 1918 as 45 Douglas Street,Kent (which I am told was in Deptford at that time)

Many thanks,

Ann

Sorry, Ann.

He's not mentioned in any of the volumes that I have.

Dave.

• 4 months later...

Hello Dave,

Could you kindly do a lookup for me from your Manchester volume please:

J Norman HUMPHREYS, whose address in 1941 was

3 Denver Drive, Stockport Road, Timperley, ALTRICHAM.

Thanks

Kate

Hello Dave,

Could you kindly do a lookup for me from your Manchester volume please:

J Norman HUMPHREYS, whose address in 1941 was

3 Denver Drive, Stockport Road, Timperley, ALTRICHAM.

Thanks

Kate

Sorry Kate.

Only 3 Humphreys listed, and these are E.N., H.V. and W. Humphreys. There is a "J.HUMPHRIES" listed , of the LF's, but I doubt this is your man.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help,

Dave. :(

• 3 months later...

As per my announcement, I won't be doing any more "look-ups" on this thread.

Sorry.

Dave.