Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Roll

CROONAERT

I've now got hold of the following volumes of "The National Roll of the Great War" on CD-ROM, for quick access:

London (3 of the volumes)

Manchester

Salford

Leeds

Birmingham.

Any "look-ups" required, just ask.

Dave.

Dave I do not know what's there. Lewis Charlesworth was KIA with 20th Manchesters, lived in Delph, I have the address . Any thing on him?

I'm afraid not, Paul. (I had a look for him on these rolls when you posted your question on Lewis a while back. I've just double checked now)

Dave. :(

Paul,

There may be something in the Manchester City Battalions book. So far only part of this is on CD and you will probably have to wait until part two is issued on CD unless you can bribe someone into searching the hundreds of pages of names in small print. There is more info on this invaluable volume on some previous threads.

Paul,

There may be something in the Manchester City Battalions book. So far only part of this is on CD and you will probably have to wait until part two is issued on CD unless you can bribe someone into searching the hundreds of pages of names in small print. There is more info on this invaluable volume on some previous threads.

Paul.

As I mentioned in your posting of a while ago, I've also looked in this "Book of Honour". There is a Charlesworth in the 20th, but it's not Lewis. Lewis' service number is also wrong for him to have been an original member of this battalion, indicating a transfer.

I can't find him in the second part of the book either, but this lists employees of various Manchester Firms and corporations (but by no means all!) and usually only lists them by name and regiment. Apart from his place of employment prior to his attestation in the Army, you're unlikely to find any further info about him in this section.

Dave.

Paul.

I notice that Charlesworth was a pre-war regular. I can categorically say, therefore, that he's definately not listed anywhere in the "Book of Honour".

Dave

Dave he was pre war regular called up in August 14 2d Manchesters. I have a lot on him but nothing from PRO, no war diary. Will do an article for US WFA journal and also WFA web site.

• 1 month later...

Alan.

I've found 6 "possibilities". Do you have any other info (middle names, parts of addresses, regiment, etc.)?

Dave.

Dave

Is there any mention of a Edwin Willcock in the London Volumes

Doug

Hi Dave,

Could you please look in your London editions of the National Roll for anyone with the name of Thomas or Charles Arrowsmith.

Many thanks.

Stu

Doug.

There is one Private E.Wilcock, RAMC mentioned.If this may be your man, let me know and I'll give you the details.

Terry.

I've looked in both Manchester and Salford editions, but there's no mention (sorry).

Stu.

Again, sorry, but there's no mention of either name (though I am missing one of the London volumes).

Dave.

Terry,

I don't know whether you have the info., but there's quite a good account of the attack at Neuvilly on 12th October 1918 in the 12th Battalion's history. If you want a scan of this account, let me know.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for checking for me anyway.

I know this is cheeky,but would you mind checking you London editions again,this time for the surname of Deal in the Camberwell/Peckham area of South London.

Many thanks.

Stu.

Sorry Stu.

No Deals in any of the 3 London volumes that I have. As you probably know,(and if you didn't , you probably now realise! :D ), the National Roll is a little "hit and miss" with an "entry by subscription" listing.

Dave. :(

David

Thanks for looking,it wont be my man he joined the South Staffs and was transfered to the Royal Fusilers,

Doug

Dave,

If possible could you send me the scan on the 12th Manchesters 12 Oct.,1918?

Terry

No problem at all,Terry. It'll be with you shortly.

Dave.

Terry. I've had problems emailing you the scans. here they are anyway (3 pages).

Dave.

post-16-1061680432.jpg

...page 2...

post-16-1061680654.jpg

...and page 3...

post-16-1061680756.jpg

Thanks Dave. I note that the 12th Manchesters lost more KIA than any other battalion of the regiment with the exception of the 2nd (Regular) Bn,.

Stu.

Again, sorry, but there's no mention of either name (though I am missing one of the London volumes).

Dave.

Dave

Not trying to be pedantic :D , but if as you state you have 3 London Sections, you are missing 2.

The following Sections covered London.

I II III VII & XIII. For some reason Section I was not annotated anywhere that it covers NW London.

Stu

There are 2 Deal's listed in Section XIII not sure if they are what you want but have copied them for you below.

Best wishes.

John.

post-16-1061695872.jpg

Hi John,

Many thanks for the info you posted for me,you have managed to answer some very long standing questions for me.

John Deal was my Grandfather,all I ever knew of his war service was that he was in the R.A.,I never knew he was a regular,I just assumed he was one of "Kitcheners men".As the family unfortunately no longer have his medals/service docs etc,I have really been finding it difficult to find out more about him,as like most of his generation,he never really talked about the war,so none of the family have been able to help me.

It is only by recent research and use of the online 1901 census that I managed to find out that he had a brother William who died in 1918.

After each entry it appears there is a reference no with a Z prefix,does this mean anything to you,as I still need to find out which brigade he served in I'm hoping this might help,although,now I know he was regular,there is a chance of me getting his service records if they survived.

As you have all the London volumes,I was wondering if you would be good enough to look for the surname of Arrowsmith,probably in North London/Enfield Middx area.

I can't explain how pleased Iam to get this info,its really fantastic to get a few more pieces of the "jigsaw",thank you so much.

Kind regards.

Stu