Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"A" Coy. 20th Bn. London Regiment

Chris_B

This could be either 1/20th or 2/20th - I don't know which. Question relates to a casualty at DAOURS COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION. from "A" Coy. 20th Bn. London Regiment died 01/09/1918. I don't know if the person was KIA or DOW.

Some idea of unit locations at this time would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Chris.

Difficult to say, Chris. The 1/20th were in 47 Div, which was in the advance near Bray-sur-Somme, so being buried near Corbie (am I right?) would be feasible.

The 2/20th were in the 62nd Div, which i think was in the attack on the Drocourt-Queant Line, so on balance I'd go for the 1/20th.

Cheers

Steven

Difficult to say, Chris.  The 1/20th were in 47 Div, which was in the advance near Bray-sur-Somme, so being buried near Corbie (am I right?) would be feasible.

The 2/20th were in the 62nd Div, which i think was in the attack on the Drocourt-Queant Line, so on balance I'd go for the 1/20th.

Cheers

Steven

Steven,

Bit of a guess then without access at least to medal roll,which I would hope would show the battalion.

Chris.

Steven,

Bit of a guess then without access at least to medal roll,which I would hope would show the battalion.

Chris.

Trouble is, Daours seems to be on the Somme, so I imagine it would have been a hospital of some sort - your chap could have been sent back by barge from either battalion. Good luck - be interested to know the outcome (sheer nosiness!)

I'm going to the National Archives tomorrow- got a long to look up, but if you give me your mans details I'll try and check his Medal index card and Medal roll.

Ali

I'm going to the National Archives tomorrow- got a long to look up, but if you give me your mans details I'll try and check his Medal index card and Medal roll.

Ali

Ali,

That's a very kind offer, these are the details:

GODFREY, CHARLES VALENTINE

Initials: C V

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: London Regiment

Unit Text: "A" Coy. 20th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/09/1918

Service No: 632902

Additional information: Husband of Amy Violet Godfrey, of 191, Sellincourt Rd., Tooting, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VIII. B. 34.

Cemetery: DAOURS COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Many Thanks,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Sorry, I wasn't able to access the forum from the NA so I haven't been able to check. I am going back in two weeks and if no one else has answered your query I will do it then.

Regards

Ali

Hi Chris,

Sorry, I wasn't able to access the forum from the NA so I haven't been able to check. I am going back in two weeks and if no one else has answered your query I will do it then.

Regards

Ali

Ali,

It doesn't look if anyone else will answer my query. If you do get a chance to look later on that would be great.

Chris.

• 6 years later...

MY Grandfathers brother AE Harrot was in the same Bn. and died at a similar time - I do have a photo of him and camp if you're interested

Steve

There's a book called Love and War by Peter Trafford ISBN 0902780 107 - sometimes appears on Ebay or Amazon if you're interested in 20th bn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cliff smith

MY Grandfathers brother AE Harrot was in the same Bn. and died at a similar time - I do have a photo of him and camp if you're interested

Steve

My father was in 'A' company 20th Bn London Regiment. Enlisted on the 11 - 4 - 18. Regtl. No. 62340.

Cliff Smith