Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine Light Infantry

Neil Burns

Hello,

I have a World War I Trio (1914-15 Star, War Medal & Victory)RMLI and a Navy Long Service/Good Conduct Medal with a fixed suspension (early 1920's I think) same soldier now Royal Marines.

The service number begins with a PLY which I believe indicates Plymouth which was a base for Royal Marine units (?).

Can anyone tell me where this gentleman may have served?

I thought maybe at Gallipoli but there is no mention of RMLI in the British Battalions at Gallipoli book.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Neil

Taken from http://www.royalmarines.org/gallipoli.htm

Plymouth RM mentioned about 1/3 way down.

During February and March 1915 elements of the 3rd Royal Marines Brigade (under the command of Brigadier C N Trotman. RMLI* ), which was made up of the Chatham and Portsmouth Battalions RMLI, landed largely unopposed on the Gallipoli peninsula to dismantle Turkish defensive positions. After the unsuccessful Naval attempts to force the Narrows in March the Turkish army reinforced the peninsula in strength. Thereafter a major amphibious operation was required. The Plymouth Battalion RMLI took part in the initial landing on 25th April but the brigade did not land until the night of 28th/29th April when it went ashore at Anzac cove to relieve the 1 and 3 Australian Brigades. On 30th April it was joined in the line by 1 Royal Navy Brigade ( Brigadier D Mercer RMLI ) which contained the Deal RMLI battalion. For the next 13 days both brigades were engaged in continuous heavy fighting bearing the brunt of the Turkish attacks and displaying great resolution. After a counter-attack in the Monash Valley by Chatham and Portsmouth Battalions on 3rd May 1915 the Turks were driven back with heavy losses. Major Quinn, a great Australian VC, said to Major Jerram of the Royal Marine Brigade " The bravest thing that I have seen so far was the charge of your two Battalions up that hill on Bloody Sunday". In another incident Lance Corporal RW Parker ( Portsmouth Battalion RMLI ) was awarded the Victoria Cross for his gallantry in evacuating a party of wounded men under fire. The Royal Marines casualties during this period were 21 Officers and 217 men killed, 29 Officers and 764 men wounded and 122 men missing in action. On 12th May 1915 both Brigades were deployed to Cape Helles to rejoin the Royal Navy Division for the remainder of the campaign.

However most RM would have been serving on board ships and only a small minority were in the RM Battalions of the RND.

Trust this helps!

Fantastic!

That's the first clear information I've seen on the Royal Marine Light Infantry.

Thanks,

Neil

A word of caution.

I have several RMLI trios with the PLY prefix - only a couple of them served at Gallipoli. The others served on RN ships all over the globe - remember every ship always had a compliment of RMs on board.

The best way to check your man is via the service records at the PRO/NA - they have all survived for RM personnel.

Neil

You mention that the LSGC Medal is named to RM

The RMLI and RMA merged in 1923 to form the RM.