Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Labour Company 1918

Guest DrGerald

To anyone with expertise in Labour Companies.

I have a letter from my GGF who was Sgt in a labour company in January 1918 in France. It is a bit unclear as to whether he writes 717 or 7/7. His serial no was 300104 since moving to this company. So far I have been unable to trace any 717 or 7/7. Anyone know which it is likely to be and anything about their movements ?

Regards

Gerry

It was certainly 717 Labour Company, which is shown as being under Third Army on 11 November 1918. For further detail contact Ivor Lee, who is the expert of the Labour Corps. His e-mail address is lc1917@aol.com.

Charles M

Gerry

To add a little to the binformation form Charles.

717 Company was formed from 7 Labour Company of the Army Service Corps.

I have a number of locations and some details of the work it undertook for this Company from September 1916 until it was disbanded in 1919.

If you would like to send me your email address I will send the details to you.

Thanks both to you Charles and to you Ivor. I have just mailed you Ivor. Looking forward to receiving your reply, and thanks to you gents I already know more than I did last weekend !! Always nice to meet experts.

Regards

Gerry

I have just noticed the rank on the left for you two gentlemen Charles and Ivor. May I be cheaky and ask if these are "real" or "virtual" ranks ?

Regards

Gerry

They are virtual, Gerry. However, I'm sure you'll agree that they both deserve a medal!