Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with a name?

nicburch

Can anyone help me find Miss Annie H. Ivin? She is listed as an army nurse on a roll of honour for my village. Are there any archives i can look up?

nick

Nick

She has two files at the NA - WO399/4175 and WO399/12317. This normally suggests that she was a member of the Territorial Force Nursing Service [2nd reference] who was mobilised early and seconded to the QAIMNS [1st reference]for service overseas in 1914 or early 1915. I'm happy to look at the files for you if you're not able to do it yourself.

Sue

It also seems that she was mentioned in dispatches in June 1915, and was awarded the Royal Red Cross in the summer of that year, receiving her decoration from the King at Buckingham Palace in July. As I suspected all these references show her to be a member of the Territorial Force Nursing Service. Her file should have all the details.

Sue

Hello Sue,

thankyou for your reply, i am not sure how to access the files you mentioned,perhaps you could advise.

Also i have two other names Miss E M Minshull and Miss Ethel Lambert possibly with the St. John.

nick

Nick

Records of women employed by the Joint War Committee will be held by the British Red Cross archives if they survive [the records that is, not the BRCS!]. The web site is here:

British Red Cross personnel records

I have a reference to Augusta Minshull who went to Belgium in 1915 with the St. John Ambulance Association, and later to Serbia with the Scottish Women's Hospital, where she died in 1915 - perhaps she's related to Miss E. M. Minshull.

The files I referred to are held at The National Archives, Kew, and you need to visit to look at them. I'm quite happy to go through them and take notes when I'm next there - I spend a lot of time looking at nurses' files, and normally much of my work is done on a random basis - I use a random number generator to prevent myself always picking files of women with exotic names, and avoiding all those called Nellie or Agnes! So I'm more than happy to check any files that may be of use to someone other than me - it's just as useful for my research.

Sue

Sue

I would be very grateful for any information when you are next at Kew. As with many in the Forum I too am researching the war period and the memorial in my village.

I am extremely impressed with your site; your level of research is an inspiration to the rest of us embarking on this journey of obsession.

Nick

I have a reference to Augusta Minshull who went to Belgium in 1915 with the St. John Ambulance Association, and later to Serbia with the Scottish Women's Hospital, where she died in 1915 - perhaps she's related to Miss E. M. Minshull. 

Sue, I have a number of queries on the Minshull that you mention. Augusta Minshull was with the Scottish Women's Hospital and her name is on the York Minster panel's as Augusta. Yet the CWGC has her as A.M. Minshull. Yet again, the Scottish Women's Hospital for Foreign Service Roll of Honour has her as A.A. Minshull, a nurse posted to a Serbian fever hospital in February 1915. I have no notes of her being in Belgium in 1915 but there hardly seems time if she was sent to Serbia in February of that year. Just to top it all Monica Krippner in "The Quality of Mercy" has her down as Sister Minishull, the SWH roll has her date of death as 21st March 1915 and the CWGC as 21 April 1915.

Jim

According to her obituary in the BJN [17th April 1915]:

'We regret to record the death of Miss Augusta Minshull, from typhus fever, at the Scottish Women's Hospital, Kraguievatz, Serbia...

... On August 19th, she went out to Brussels with the St. John Ambulance Association Contingent; and left for Serbia on February 8th...

So the date of the obit. certainly proves CWGC wrong! I'll send the whole entry off list.

Regards

Sue

Jim, as far as I remember, the Belgian Unit was a short-lived affair as they were taken prisoner at the fall of Antwerp and repatriated quickly. So Minshull could have back in the UK by December 1914 ready for her next venture.

I list her as Augusta A. and you might like to note that she was awarded a Serbian Cross of Mercy.

Norman

I have been following this thread with interest and am wondering if this is the same woman who was a hospital nurse in Chester at time of the 1901 census. If it is, she is listed on the the 1881 census with no middle name or initial. This particular Augusta Minshull was living with her widowed mother who was a Hotel Keeper at The Crown in Denbigh, North Wales and her two older sisters and two younger brothers. The family appear to have travelled around, as the children were born in Betton, Atherstone, Manchester, Llandudno and Denbigh.

This Augusta appears to have been born in Atherstone in 1864 which does not tie in with her age of 35 in 1901. Maybe a transcription error or she decided to stay with an age of 35.

Myrtle

SueL has already advised me that Augusta held a nursing post at Chester General Infirmary so this seems to fit in with what you have found from the 1901 census.

SueL has already advised me that Augusta held a nursing post at Chester General Infirmary so this seems to fit in with what you have found from the 1901 census.

Jim

Thanks for the confirmation that it is the same Augusta Minshull on the 1901 census. It looks, therefore, that the 1881 entry of her living in Denbigh is also correct. Again her birthplace is given as Atherstone.

Myrtle