Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorabilia in metal

Pte1605

Among the many things I have inherited in the trunk of "family heirlooms" are the three items depicted in the attached photograph. I am left wondering just how common such items are.

The centre piece is constructed of what seems to be part of a button for the base and a bullet for the main part. The base which is about 17-18mm in diameter depicts a monoplane aircraft similar in appearance to that which Louis Bleriot used to cross the English Channel (possibly a French Air Force button?). The bullet part is about 13-14mm across the widest part and about 9mm across where the colour changes from yellow brass to a coppery colour. The crest bears the word Calais just above the shield and this word is also engraved in cursive script on the opposite side of the bullet.

The two small "coal scuttles" are of identical build and overall appearance. The larger part is, I presume, a Very flare cartridge or something similar. It is about 30mm in diameter at its widest point and about 25mm in diameter over most of its length. The base is stamped "J.P.&S" and "IV". The smaller element is about 16mm in diameter across its widest part and about 13-14mm in diameter over the rest of its length. The bases bear similar but slightly different stamp marks as follows:

Each base is clearly marked into four segments with "|" markings.

The segments, reading in a clockwise direction from 9 o'clock, are as follows:

3 | ART . D | 14 | ATE . R |

2 | ART . D | 06 | ATE . BS |

I presume the figures stand for March 1914 and February 1906 and denote the month and year of manufacture.

I would welcome any corrections to my suppositions or, indeed, any observations of any kind about these items.

regards,

Peter

post-7272-1121884142.jpg

Peter,

This is fairly typical 'trench art' (see my site for more info). The centre piece with the Calais crest was more than likely made by locals and sold to Tommy as he passed through the town on the way home to England.

A nice little group, though, given the family link !

Jim