Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

soldiers wages and their families

margaret sheridan

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me about Soldiers wages ?

How much would a man in the KSLI fighting for King and Country get a week ?

What about his wife and six or seven children who were left at home, (suddenly the chief breadwinner had gone), how did they get money to pay the rent, etc ?

Did they rely on Parish Charity, or was money sent home to them ??

Any input much appreciated

Kindest Regards

Margaret

Margaret,

A private in KSLI was paid a shilling a day for most of the war as regimental pay with the ability to earn a bit (pennies) more through profiency pay, good conduct and/or additional pay. An increase was authorized in 1918.

The married man was authorized to make allotments to his family or designated relative, but not to exceed 4/5ths of his entire pay (Army Council Instruction ammending the Royal Warrant for Pay). Additional instructions are found in article 986 of the Pay warrant.

Joe Sweeney

Margaret

I know that any outstanding wages owed to a deceased soldier were forwarded to their next of kin or beneficary as specified in the deceased will. I am in possession of a letter from the Command Paymaster, Eastern Command regarding the back pay of my Great Uncle who died in 1916. The outstanding balance of eight pounds & ten shillings was finally paid to my Great Grandmother on the 18th September 1919. Given Joe's comments that basic daily pay was one shilling, I think my example also highlights the infrequency that which soldiers actually recieved their wage.

Will

Margaret.

You may find this snippet of interest....

post-1-1058222477.jpg

...and this scan is from a Canadian Expeditionary Force paybook from 1918...

post-1-1058222607.jpg

To put these amounts in context, averaged over the war, money was "worth" 40 times the currect year 2002 value. This is a gross simplification, as many things cheap then are dear now, and the converse. And the universal units of value, the MacDonald Burger and Mars Bar, had not been invented.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I've been reading an excellent book edited by Captain J.C.Dunn on the 2 RWFs - The War the Infantry Knew..fantastic.

On January 1st 1917 the 2RWFs arrived in Vauchelles and spent 3 weeks there. The author comments that "the highly paid Australians had just gone, so the price of everything in the village was appalling".

Is this correct, did the Aussies get more pay than the Brits?

Robbie

Hi all,

I've been reading an excellent book edited by Captain J.C.Dunn on the 2 RWFs - The War the Infantry Knew..fantastic.

Join the club! Life will never be the same again. Do you realise he was only pursuaded reluctantly to publish, and, until about 1980, there were only 500 copies in existence?

Desmond Morton just released a book entitled "Fight or Pay: Soldiers' Families In The Great War (Studies in Canadian Military History)" (link here which deals with the Canadian aspect of this. There are some comparisons to pay and seperation allowance received by soldiers from other countries as well. An excellant book and commentary on the social environment of those who remained when the soldiers left.

marc

• 4 weeks later...
On January 1st 1917 the 2RWFs arrived in Vauchelles and spent 3 weeks there. The author comments that "the highly paid Australians had just gone, so the price of everything in the village was appalling".

Is this correct, did the Aussies get more pay than the Brits?

Robbie

I now have my grandfather's pay book so am able to answer my own question!

From the first entry on 5.3.1917 he received net rate of 2 shillings per day. This figure remains the same even when he was "at sea" and in the field. He received 2 shillings right up until his dsicharge 15.5.1919.

It appears that the Aussies were paid well indeed.

RObbie

• 3 years later...

I have a letters of a man which suggests that his mum was sent money which was then sent to the soldier when he needed a bit.

Did mother's receive separation allowance????

The figures in this letter are greater than 1shilling/day for a newly enlisted private...???

Dear Mother, Father and all at home,

I hope you are quite well as I am at present. I hope Harry is getting better. Have you had a letter from Frank yet. Did you send him that photo? I was called in the office to day about that money. There was a letter from the _________ they said if I left my money this week it would make you 11s a week up to when I changed it and then 11s and __d so I told them I should and you will get it straight away so you need not bother.