Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Overseas Service Stripes

Guest Hill 60

:unsure: Am I right in thinking that the small inverted chevrons seen on soldiers right cuffs are Oversea Service Stripes and am I right in thinking that the red one was for 1914 and the blue ones for 1915 onwards?

Cheers - Lee :blink:

According to what I read about the subject, you're completely right, although the stripes were called chevrons.

Some info I found http://au.geocities.com/fortysecondbattali...s-standards.htm : Australian Imperial Force Order No.1053, 4th January 1918 *(Slightly abridged) CHEVRONS FOR OVERSEAS SERVICE (see photo)

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of chevrons to denote service overseas since the 4th August 1914.

Chevrons of two colours have been approved. The first chevron if earned on or before 31st December 1914, will be red; if earned on or after 1st January 1915, it will be blue; and all additional chevrons after the first will be blue.

The chevrons will be worsted embroidery, 1/4 inch in width, the arms 1/4 inch long. They will be worn inverted on the right forearm: in the case of officers, the apex of the lowest chevron will be 1 inch above the upper point of the flap on the cuff. In the case of warrant-officers, non-commissioned officers and men, the apex of the lowest chevron will be midway between the seams and four inches above the bottom edge of the sleeve. The red chevron will be worn below the blue one. They will not be worn on greatcoats.

In the case of Australians, the first chevron was earned the date the individual left Australia. Additional chevrons were awarded for each successive aggregate period of 12 months service outside Australia.

Greetings,

Jan