Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

grandad/devonshire

Guest steve

we r after any info on our grandad :harry clatworthy army no.5608161

we think he was with 1st battn. devonshire. enlisted on 31st dec. 1910 at exeter

thanks

Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

There is a C.S.M. H. Clatworthy (D.C.M.), 1st Bn, Devonshire Regiment mentioned on a couple of occasions in the regimental history although his service no was 9257. Is this your man or a relative perhaps? I could well be wrong but the number you quote seems on the long side for the Devons in 1914-1918? Would this be his subsequent army number?

Regards

Marc

cheers marc i got the info from my grandads regular army cert.of service book grandad did have the D.C.M also he was a C.S.M

at the top of the book is the serial no. 1/devon 612

we know roughly where he was too but not 4 sure and some of the writing is like a docs.

we've looked on loads of sites and got the info up to now, but not where certain things happened ie where he won is D.C.M and how.

anything would be great just 2 give that picture 2 follow he's movements

thanks again

Steve,

I'll send you the relevant extracts from the regimental history which includes the background behind how he won the D.C.M.

Given that this is rather lengthy can you send me your e-mail address via a Personal Message. Please don't post it in this thread or you may run the risk of receiving some unsolicited e-mails (spam).

You can look up when he received his DCM and why by running a search in the London Gazette

Marc

Steve,

I took the liberty of looking up his entry in the London Gazette for you. The citation appears in the LG supplement 13438 15th November 1918 here