Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commander of WarShip

margaret sheridan

Hi there,

Can anyone help with any info on Hugh Davenport CONVILLE of Coton Hall, Alveley

I was orginally told he was Commander aboard H.M.S. Leander, but this may be incorrect and he may have been a commander of another warship "connected" to H M S Leander

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated

Kindest Regards

Margaret Sheridan

I think your man is Capt Hugh Davenport Wakeman- Colville.

Son of Hugh Ker Colville JP of Bowden Hall, Glos. Born 1881, Educated Britannia Naval College and RN College Greenwich. Married 1906 Gladys Louisa, only daughter of Lt Col Edward Maltby Wakeman JP of Coton Hall, Bridgnorth. Entered RN 1894. Served Great War 1914-1919 in command of destroyers. Retired 1922.

Out of interest I think he the same man who was Commodore of Convoy KMF 26 on 26.11.1943 when it came under persistant air attack. During this ariel onslaught, the troopship the Rohna was sunk costing the lives of 1,050 US troops.

A copy of the Navy List will show which ships he commanded in WW1.

Terry Reeves

Margaret

Commander Hugh Davenport Colville was the Commanding Officer of HMS Porpoise, an Admiralty "M" class destroyer at the Battle of Jutland, part of the 4th Destroyer Flotilla. He appears to have added his wife's name to his at a later date. He took command of the Porpoise in January 1914. Promoted to Commander the following year, he appears to have continued with her until June 1918 when he took over command of another destroyer, HMS Gabriel, whose home port was Devonport.

HMS Leander (1882) was built as a cruiser and was converted to a Destroyer Depot Ship (DDS) between 1902-04. From 1910 - 1914 she was based at Devonport. In the DDS role she would have been used to supply the destroyers in her flotilla.

Terry Reeves

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks, that is really helpful.

Everyone in Alveley always called them "The Conville's" I had no idea it was "Colville"

You learn a new thing everyday ! :D

Best Wishes,

Margaret