Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

" Vivid II "

olosangus

As a complete naval novice, I have found a reference in my great grandfathers service record to " Vivid II " he appears to have been posted there on a number of occiasions as well as serving on HMS Warrior ; HMS Active and HMS Noble.

I am not sure if Vivid II was a ship or some land based station. I would be grateful for any information.

THanks. Simon

As a complete naval novice, I have found a reference in my great grandfathers service record to " Vivid II " he appears to have been posted there on a number of occiasions as well as serving on HMS Warrior ; HMS Active and HMS Noble.

I am not sure if Vivid II was a ship or some land based station. I would be grateful for any information.

THanks. Simon

Go to the "Mariners List". No doubt nautical type pals will tell you where it is.

According to what I found 'H M S Vivid II' was not a ship but a base on land.

"By the way, H. M. S. Vivid II (not eleven) was not a ship but the shore base at Devonport. There has just been a discussion about this on Mariners list - so recently, it hasn't been archived yet."

Vivid II was the RN Barracks at Devonport.

Warrior was a cruiser; Active a light cruiser; and Noble was a destroyer.

Richard

Holmfirth seaman Arthur Lockwood died at Davenport after 2 months training at Vivid I. Have we got two bases here? Perhaps one for training? or do I have a mistake in my information?

Tony.

Most large shore bases were broken down into component parts, so one would get I, II, III etc. at places like Victory (Portsmouth), Pembroke (Chatham) and Vivid (Devonport). Presumably this was for administrative purposes.

For example, I was for initial training; II for those between ships awaiting a draft; III for further trade training.

This would denote which section dealt with his pay and provisions etc.

Richard

The numbers after these 'base' names did not only denote different departments on the same site but often denoted totally different locations - and sometimes the same number was moved to different locations at various times.

As an example - HMS Victory could be followed by any number between I and XI over the years. At various times these different locations were Portsmouth, Goodings (Berks), Crystal Palace, Newbury, Wantage, London, Petersfield, Southampton and Portland! So HMS Victory IV was not on the same site as HMS Victory XI (with IV being variously London, Portsmouth and Petersfield at different times and XI being Portland!).

It can be confusing!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wrinklyone

The churchyard of St Nicholas on Tresco, in the Isles of Scilly, contains some CWGC headstones, including:

CROWLE

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Navy

Unit Text: H.M.S. "Vivid."

Date of Death: 08/08/1917

Service No: 147833

Additional information: Awarded Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. Son of the late James and Mary Ann Crowle; husband of Sarah Jane Crowle, of 8, Argyle Terrace, Camels Head, Devonport.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Cemetery: TRESCO (ST. NICHOLAS) CHURCHYARD

These CWGC headstones are unusual in being of black slate rather than Portland stone - no doubt due to prevailing weather conditions.

CWGC headstones in slate are quite common in various parts of the country - as is granite in others.

Portland is simply the most common type of stone used but there are many others. A local stone will often be used in preference to Portland.

olosangus,

If you require them details of the ships can be found at www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/

Best wishes

David