Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Ariel and HMS Vehement

PFF

Hello

Checking the George Ransome list for WW I casualties, there are no minelayers lost in August 1918.

There are instances that may fit, but not in this time frame.

don

1/2 August 1918

Vehement, British, V class Destroyer

Ariel, British, Acheron class Destroyer

Both ships were part of the 20th Destroyer Flotilla that was undertaking a mine laying operation in the Heligoland Bight.

Vehement was hit by a mine which caused a magazine explosion blowing off her bow. Attempts to tow her failed and her remains were scuttled.

Whilst attempting to leave the minefield that had sunk Vehement Ariel also had her bow blown off by a mine and she sank in less than an hour.

Vehement was completed as a minelayer with 60 mines and operated out of Immingham.

Sorry I have no casualty details.

Hello

ARIEL and VEHEMENT were both destroyer minelayers.

ARIEL lost 4 officers and 45 ratings and VEHEMENT lost 1 officer and 47 ratings. Neither were lost without surviours.

don

One of the HMS Ariel men who died was J/36501 Able Seaman David Foster. Aged 20, he was the eldest son of David & Elizabeth Foster, Ballycraigy, Ballymena.

Regards

Carninyj

post-3682-1121242739.jpg

Hi,

I have found a little further information for you. It is taken from “The Admiralty Regrets”:

1st-2nd August 1918

HMS VEHEMENT

On the 1st August 1918 The 20th Destroyer Fleet sailed from the Humber to lay a minefield at the seaward end of one the German-swept channels through their minefield in the Heligoland Bight. All was going to plan and the force was within 20 miles of its objective when, at 23:47 hours, VEHEMENT struck a mine and exploded her forward magazine and blew off the whole forward section of the ship forward of the forward funnel. VEHEMENT was taken in tow by ABDIEL and after an hour or so, and when all fires had been extinguished, there seemed every hope of saving the ship. However, at 04:00 hours on the 2nd VEHEMENT’s stern suddenly rose into the air and it was clear that the tow could not be continued. After all hull valves had been opened and the survivors taken off, VEHEMENT was sunk by gunfire from TELEMACHUS and VANQUISHER.

Disasters at Sea during the Age of Steam: Her official complement was 110.

On the 2nd August 1918

HMS ARIEL

ARIEL was the second victim of the 20th Destroyer Flotilla’s sortie into the Bight. While trying to manoeuvre clear of the mine field she also struck a mine. Her bows were blown clean away and she sank in less than 50 minutes. Her survivors were rescued by HMS VANOC.

Disasters at Sea during the Age of Steam: Her official complement was 172. However, she was more than likely carrying more than this number at the time of her loss.

Regards

Arthur

• 2 years later...

Hello All,

Petty Officer Stoker John William Bonser K/7761 Royal Navy HMS Ariel Death Date 2.8.1918.

John is on the Anstey memorial and I'm trying to find any further information on his service record.

I've tried a search on the new Naval records available on Ancestry, but I can't get a match. Would anyone have any tips on other place's to look or information for myself. The only information that I have on John is from CWGC and his links to Anstey.

Regards. Llew.

Hello Llew,

You can get his service record on-line from the National Archives for £3-50p. Date of birth 2/4/1892, place of birth Leicester. I'm afraid I don't know how to use the link to his file.

Regards,

ARABIS.

For official number searches R.N. don't put in a / or a - between the letter and the numbers.

Your time, advise and links have been very much appreciated and have helped me in my quest to research the Anstey Memorial.

Regards. Llew.

• spof changed the title to HMS Ariel and HMS Vehement
  • 2 years later...

Signaller William Cobham (aged 20) of Mawdesley, Lancashire, was lost with Ariel. He is commemorated on his family grave at St Peter's Mawdesley along with his elder brothers, Reuben and Edwin, who died with the Australian Forces in 1915 and 1916. His parents also paid for a wooden reredos bearing their names to be erected behind the altar of the church.

St Peter Mawdesley - R,E & W Cobham - 1.jpeg

St Peter Mawdesley - R,E & W Cobham - 2.jpeg