Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arras - 23 April 1917

John_Hartley

Prior to a visit, I'm trying to establish exactly where the Bn was on this day.

The War Diary describes its starting frontage as N29.D.8.6 to N35.B.1.6 (a fronatge of approx 400 yards). Does anyone know where this is?

Similarly, the objective is described by the History as "enemy positions at Cherisy", but this is not further described (except as being at 122 degrees magnetic and scheduled to be reached at +60 minutes from start).

My reason for asking is that I'd like to walk the ground if still possible.

John

John.

This trenchmap extract (51BSW2 - Vis en Artois), though dating from February 1917, shows the map references you refer to as the start line. The 17/Mancs line basically cut off the bottom right hand corner of square 29 ,then dropped due south at the boundary of square 35. The lines are illustrated pretty well (as is the course of the attack) on pages 162, 163 and 165 of Michael Stedman's Manchester Pals book.

Dave

post-2-1058052518.jpg

Not a great deal more, but the history of the Liverpools elaborates on the objective a tiny bit more... "The Divisional objective was a line running from south-west to north-east along the ridge west of Cherisy".

Every little helps, I suppose.

Dave.

This part of the Arras battlefield is very walkable; although it is fairly close to the motorway, the ground is pretty much unchanged geographically since 1917. Armed with the trench map above and a modern IGN Blue series map of the area you should be fine. This is an area that will be featured in my forthcoming Walking Arras which should be out over the winter 03/04.

Dave - many thanks for the tactful way in which you've reminded me that Stedman's book is not two feet from where I sit. Sometimes one can't help missing the wood for the trees. Call meself a Mancs "expert"!!!

I already have the full war diary account but it wasnt helpful in the placing the geography for me

Paul - also thanks for the confirmation about the area's walkability. I'd rather hoped that your book would have been out in time for my September visit. pity.

John

:rolleyes: