Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rose, Malta and Delta Houses

danny

Hi All

I am planning a return trip to Ypres and would love to know if anything remains of three fortified German positions: Rose, Malta and Delta houses, that my grandfather attacked with the 1/4 Gordons at the opening of the Battle of Menin Road on 20th September. They were located to the east of Langemarck on the front of the 154th Brigade with Malta House sitting on or very near the Poelcappelle Road. I also have a reference to 'Beer Trench' which is where I believe my grandfather was captured - does anyone know where it was located? Finally, how easy, or difficult, is it to get hold of copies of trench maps to specific areas of the front?

Danny

how easy, or difficult, is it to get hold of copies of trench maps to specific areas of the front?

I'm sure there will be other suggestions; but for my research, I ordered prints of the map sections I needed from a fellow who has the Imperial War Museum CD. Not wanting to spend 100 British pounds for the CD, the specific print order was the way to go for me. I have been able to pinpoint my Canadian grandad's wounding to a section less than 300 yards diameter.

If interested, you can contact me off forum, and I can give you the fellow's email address.

Peter :)

I have a copy of a map from September 1917 from the 58 Division War Diary which shows Delta, Rose and Malta Houses clearly. If you email me off forum with your address I'll send you a photocopy.

MARK

if all fails contact charlotte cardoan deschamps who is a forum member and runs Varlet farm near Poelcapelle.. she may be able to help.

John

John, Mark and Peter

Thanks for the advice and pointers. The altruism of this forum must be one of its finest features and I hope I can help somebody else someday. Does anyone need directions to anywhere in Aberdeen perhaps, or a decent Indian restaurant in Edinburgh? :)

Danny