Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

draperju

I would be grateful for any information on the whereabouts of the 9th battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers on the 23rd June 1916.

I am researching the death of Private Michael Irwin from Hexham Northumberland.

Best wishes

Draperju

109 Bde, 36 (Ulster) Division. From the Divnl History, the Bde spent 22nd and 23rd June taking up it's assault positions in the right section of Thiepval Wood. "These troops had a purgatory to endure. For the most part in the narrow slit assembly trenches, with the rain pouring steadily down on them, they were under furious German bombardments that wreathed the wood in smoke and flame, and made the crashing of great trees the accompaniment to the roar of bursting shells."

I'm sure there are others out there who know more, but that's a starter for you.

109 Bde, 36 (Ulster) Division.  From the Divnl History, the Bde spent 22nd and 23rd June taking up it's assault positions in the right section of Thiepval Wood.  "These troops had a purgatory to endure. For the most part in the narrow slit assembly trenches, with the rain pouring steadily down on them, they were under furious German bombardments that wreathed the wood in smoke and flame, and made the crashing of great trees the accompaniment to the roar of bursting shells."

I'm sure there are others out there who know more, but that's a starter for you.

Thank you for your helpful reply

Best wishes

Draperju