Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private F G Thomas

Ivor Lee

I am intrigued about a men who is buried in the USA and would welcome any thoughts on him.

Private FRANCIS GEORGE THOMAS 234948 678th Coy., Labour Corps

who died on Friday 11 October 1918 and is buried in NEW ORLEANS (GREENWOOD) CEMETERY, Louisana. The CWGC site shows his grave/memorial as British Burial Assoc. Plot Memorial.

678 Company was based at Aldershot so what was he doing in the USA? Part of the British Military Mission? Attached to a British training base? Or what????

Also does the reference to British Burial Assoc. Plot Memorial mean that he is only commemorated at the cemetery but not buried there? If so could it be that he died elsewehere e.g. at sea?

The only other thing I have been able to find out about him is that he was the Son of Mrs. E. Thomas, of 4, Wells St. Grays Inn Road, London.

Any ideas please!

Guest Hill 60

I had a look on SDGW and the theatre of war in which he died is recorded as the USA :blink:.

The place of birth is left blank. Could it be he was born in the USA, or had gone there for training/supplies?

As you can see, I'm grasping at straws!

British Military Mission to USA.

Don't know whether this has any connection with your man, but apparently a British Military Mission to the USA existed, I have a Major George A N Woodcock, Wiltshire Regt & MGC, as part of it.

Maybe someone knows something about it.

There was an MGC contingent at Fort Benning, Georgia, assisting/advising/training the US Army Machine Gun school. There is a mass of photographic evidence.

We also have reason to believe that a silver model of a Vickers was presented to the officers of the US school when our contingent departed.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The two things that really intrigue me are

1. why New Orleans?

2. what does British Burial Plot Association Memorial mean?

There are four WW1 British war graves in New Orleans (Greenwood) Cemetery - two sailors, an RMLI private and Pte Thomas.

None have grave numbers but two are listed as 'British Burial Assoc Plot Memorial' and the others as 'Special/Section Memorial'.

This suggests to me that the cemetery has been grassed over, at least in part, and that individual headstones have been removed. Special Memorials are used in such circumstances or where the grave is known to be in the cemetery but is now lost.

Presumably there was/is a plot bought by the British Burial Association and the burials there are now listed on a memorial.

Only a theory but if there are any locals listening.......

Guest stevebec

I beleive that its hard the bury people in New Orleans because of the under ground water. People are buried on top of the ground or just crematated.

Australia had a number of men in the US or were passing through on there way to France.

There were some Forestry and Railway units. Maybe your guy was in something like that and was on leave in New Orleans. He may have died from an accident or illness?

S.B

Terry

Thanks for the additional information on the Cemetery.

The make up of the four is interesting. The navy connection I can understand. The army one is more obscure.

Steve

According to the CWGC information he was in a Labour Corps Employment Company.

The role of these Companies were to support military establishments on tasks such as general labouring, and as clerks, telephone operators, storemen etc.

His Company was stationed at Aldershot so it is possible he was attached to a base elsewhere. The trouble is we have no records for UK units to check this theory out.

What I would like to find out is which British units were stationed in New Orleans.