Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank of the Future....

Andrew Hesketh

'Tank of the Future to be Monstrous Land Ironclad'

So runs the headline in the 'Calgary Herald' in late January 1917. I came across this in a Canadian newspaper whilst looking for details of one of 'my' men, and couldn't resist posting it. An artist took some prediction of the great H.G. Wells and, well, got a little over excited......

post-150-1120598754.jpg

i wish i knew how to post pictures,you would wet yourselves if you saw the german one from the boer war,bernard

i wish i knew how to post pictures

You dunno how? Ok, then...

Just "Add Reply".

There`s "File Attachments" below the icons;

Press "Choose" and find your picture.

Press "Add this Attachment".

"Add Reply"...

I find it hard to believe that active member like you don`t know this... :blink:

Landsturm - that's a serious monster!

Unusually, that doesn`t look much of a prediction from HGW. It`s almost a tank as existed in 1917 with a few more guns? Phil B

Interesting ideas there from people who were trying to guess what tanks of the future might look like.

Equally odd is the drawing of a tank in a German report by a front-line observer who had just seen one in action on October 18th, 1916..........

post-7-1120668734.jpg

Interesting ideas there from people who were trying to guess what tanks of the future might look like. 

Equally odd is the drawing of a tank in a German report by a front-line observer who had just seen one in action on October 18th, 1916..........

Well one end is vaguely the right shape - obviously he didn't hang around long enough to see the other end! It's all a bit like Blackadder's elephants, isn't it?

Adrian