Free downloads from TNA Ă—
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Romanian Uniform?

leanes-trench

Greetings all. Can anyone help me identify this uniform, which I THINK is Romanian? The message on the reverse is dated 1916.

Many thanks,

Pat

post-5223-1120345866.jpg

The capbadge is indeed Romanian, that is for sure.

The cap itself is not typical Romanian, nor or the grades on his shoulderboards.

It are normaly bars, not stars... I think 1 star = 1 bar? so it can be a sergeant.

The armband is strange too.

I am not sure this is a picture of a Romanian officer.

As has been pointed out, the shoulder boards are wrong for the Romanian army. In addition, what caught my eye was the way in which the sword is worn. It is being carried edge to the rear, a traditonal Russian manner of sword carriage. Finally, the badge below the the cockade appears to be a regimental badge, another Russian uniform feature.

I did a quick check of Coil's Uniforms & Equipment of the Czarist Russian Armer Forces in World War I. This book provide hundreds of wartime photgraphs highlighting uniforms. What I looked for was an example of the round cockade and the wearing of a badge on the cap below the cockade. Page 37 has a picture with both features. The officer is wearing the round (instead of oval) cockade, below which is a regimental badge. Page 57 has the traditional cockade with a regiment badge below. Page 364 has a series of color photographs of a hat in a collection with the round cockade and regimental badge. Page 368 has a picture of the round cockade in an collection.

The leather equipment is the traditional style for the Russian army. The shoulder boards are Russian in style, althought the single star puzzles me. The arm band is unusual as well. The device on the arm band appears to be the same as the badge on the cap. Not sure what to make of it. The cap is not a Russian style, nor is the tunic.

So, I am not convinced this is a Romanain soldier, but I am not sure what it is. Too many bits don't match up. What information do you have that leads you to think it is a picture of a Romanian?

Jeff

GCW

Thanks for the site. Interesting. Not sure that the badge is of the Ferdinand regiments, but a clear image of the badge would help.

I did a litle more checking as I was bothered by the shoulder boards. In the Handbook of the Russian Army 1914 Sixth Edition, War Office, I checked the Russian ranks. Appendix VII (Page 251) has the rank of ensign (reserve). Plate 5 shows the rank board for that rank with one star. It is possible that the boards in the picture are Russian.

Pat

In all, I feel that the photo is more likely Russian than Romanian. It was not unusual for Russian officers to have tailored uniforms in different styles (the popular French tunic comes to mind). The key point for me is the sword carriage. I have never read of any army other then the Russian reversing the sword as seen in the picture. To me a very distinct feature of that army. If anyone here has a listing of Russian regimental bagdes, we could try to identify whether the badge is Russian.

These thoughts are based on the limited research as stated above. I am certainly open to other thoughts and information.

Jeff

GCW

Thanks for the site. Interesting. Not sure that the badge is of the Ferdinand regiments, but a clear image of the badge would help.

I did a litle more checking as I was bothered by the shoulder boards. In the Handbook of the Russian Army 1914 Sixth Edition, War Office, I checked the Russian ranks. Appendix VII (Page 251) has the rank of ensign (reserve). Plate 5 shows the rank board for that rank with one star. It is possible that the boards in the picture are Russian.

Pat

In all, I feel that the photo is more likely Russian than Romanian. It was not unusual for Russian officers to have tailored uniforms in different styles (the popular French tunic comes to mind). The key point for me is the sword carriage. I have never read of any army other then the Russian reversing the sword as seen in the picture. To me a very distinct feature of that army. If anyone here has a listing of Russian regimental bagdes, we could try to identify whether the badge is Russian.

These thoughts are based on the limited research as stated above. I am certainly open to other thoughts and information.

Jeff

Very many thanks for your help. There is writing on the reverse, but the characters appear to be Latin. I have Coil's book, and will research it that way as well as through the website noted above.

Thanks to you all!

Regards,

Pat

I definitely think its Russian The pattern of tunic and 'sam browne' and sword hilt are all very Russian. You also see similar tunics in use by the Finns from 1918 on . The buttons are most distinctive. I have also seen the badge some where. It is surmounted by what definitely looks like a Russian Crown with a monogram . I wonder if is a Junker/Cadet school or a one year volunteer.

Greg

I definitely think its Russian The pattern of tunic and 'sam browne' and sword hilt are all very Russian. You also see similar tunics in use by the Finns from 1918 on . The buttons are most distinctive. I have also seen the badge some where. It is surmounted by what definitely looks like a Russian Crown with a monogram . I wonder if is a Junker/Cadet  school or a one year volunteer.

Greg

Greg,

I've been won over by y'all. I just need to figure out what he is now. I've checked Coil, but there's no insignia that's even close.

Regards,

Pat

Hi All,

After the fall of Bucharest, the Romanian army was supplied by the Russians, I seem to recall Romanian troops present in Russia. This could explain the hybrid nature of the uniform.

Take care,

Neil