Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

robwilliams

Hope I can be of help to someone. Over the years I have built up a database of members of the above Regiment. It currently has 39000 entries. By necessity, it is still not complete. However, if you want me to look someone up, just ask

Hi Rob

Any info on Frank Hubert Fellows 39918, 1st Bn, and Harold John Fellows 1117, 14th Bn would be appreciated!

Dave

I'd be very grateful for anything anyone could tell me about the circumstances surrounding the death of Captain Richard Conway LOWE, MC, 1/6th Royal Warwickshire Regiment, who was killed in action on August 18th 1916.

In return I can provide brief details of his family background, schooling and pre-war career. Photo attached (I hope); I can e-mail a larger copy to anyone who wants it.

post-9694-1134838256.jpg

hello Shaun

Will get back to you later with some info. I can tell you one bit of info, if my memory serves me well. He was one of the tallest young officers in the British Army at 6 foot nine inches tall.

regards

Terry

Edited by Terry Carter

Hope I can be of help to someone. Over the years I have built up a database of members of the above Regiment. It currently has 39000 entries. By necessity, it is still not complete. However, if you want me to look someone up, just ask

Hi Rob,

I am looking for information on my grandfather on my mothers side. His name was John Johnson. He was a lance Corporal with the 2nd Bn Royal Warickshire Regiment. His service number was 5104337 he is buried in HOLLAIN CHURCHYARD Row E. Grave 4. Date odf death 21/05/1940. He was aged 31. Son of John and Lilian Johnson, of Coventry; husband of Gladys Johnson.

I would be grateful if you could send me any other information that you may have. I understand that his father - also named John Jonsom also served with the Royal Warwicks in th efirst world war, although I don't know if he was a casualty. I understand that either one of them, or between them there were at least six war medals awarded. I would particularly like to know what these were and and who which of them they were awarded to. Any info, adice etc very welcome.

Alan Parfrey

Dear Shaun

The War Diary of the 1/6th Bn., R. War. R. records his death as follows,

18/08/16 OVILLERS

"In trenches - Took part in attack with 1/5th R. War. R. 4th R. Berks. R. co-operated on night. Held up for short time on right by German strong post but soon succeeded in taking whole objectives capturing 6 officers and 245 O.R. including large number of N.C.O's."

Total 6 officers killed and 3 wounded on the same day. 23 O.R. killed, 90 wounded and 10 missing.

If you check the War Diary you can find Operation Order No. 42 issued by Lt.-Col. F.G. Danielsen, C.O., 1/6th R. War. R., regarding the operation on 18/08/16. That will be the best way to solve your questions.

Regards,

Clifton

Dear Clifton-

Many thanks for this. As I've already written in another topic today, I'm humbled by the way in which everyone here shares their knowledge and resources.

Shaun

Hi,

Do you have any info on any of the following 3 men who gave their lives??

George William Beresford

Private

10th Royal Warwickshire

6th January 1917

Frederick Savage

Lance Corporal

10th Royal Warwickshire Regt

20th November 1916

John.William. Wint

Private

16th Royal Warwickshire Regiment

3rd September 1918

Thanks

Hi

Do you have any information on Alfred Edward Walton 22478 - he may have been injured and returned to the UK as he died in 1918 as a member of the Somerset Light Infantry home service battalion.

Any information would be much appreciated

thanks

min

Rob

I'd be grateful for any info you may have on my great-grandfather Lt. Col. Henry Glanville Allen Moore. I know he was enlisted in the Grenadier Guards, 6th Sept. 1886 and was appointed a commision to the Royal Warwicks, 2nd Sept 1891 He transferred to the East Yorks in 1908 and was killed on 9th August 1915 while trying to take Tekke Tepe during the landing of Suvla Bay.

Thanks so much.

Jane

Edited by SJT

Hello there, any chance you have any info on my great uncle Lemuel (Limuel) Chance? He was a private in the 1/5th Royal Warwicks (reg no. 1460), killed 18/08/1916. i think there was a big attack that day. He has an entry at the Thiepval memorial. Any help is much appreciated,

Regards

Richard Benns

• 2 months later...

Hello, do you have any details on my grandfather, 5264, Private Frank Nash, MM, RWR. I am trying to find out which battalion he served with, could you help me, thanks Mike

• 3 months later...

Hello Rob

My late Grandfather was 202593 A.Sergeant Albert Townsend. According to the medal roll, he served with the 1/6th, 2/7th and 16th battalions. Family memories suggest that he was in France early on in the war, but as yet, any official records do not support that. I have his war and victory medals, but his photo shows what lokks more like the 1914 or 14-15 star ribbon. Do you have any information on him- or am I adding a new name to your data base.

Cheers

Owain.

Hello

I recently replied to this thread mentioning my Grandfather who, according to the medal roll, served with the: 1/6th, 2/7th, and 16th Royal Warwicks. He was 202593 A.SGT ALBERT TOWNSEND. He was a native of Birmingham. While the medal roll only refers to the war and victory medal, family history ''suggests'' that he may have been overseas in 1914 or 1915. His photo appears to show the ribbon of the 14 or 14-15 star. Have you any reference to him in your archive?

Cheers

Owain.

Could you kindly look up my grandfather William Leslie Lilly. I think he was origionally in the 1/8 RW and then transferred to the MGC in 1918. He was captured in the Battle of Asiago june 15th 1918 and thats all i know. Thank you Rob in anticipation

Lindsey

Hi Rob

Do you have anything on a possible relative

12558 Pte John Thomas Holdsworth 9th RWR (DOW 26-01-17)

Many Thanks

Dave H.

Hi

Have you any information on my grandfather Pte (L cpl) Arthur Laishley. I am particulary trying to find out which unit he originally served with, how he was wounded, and the date and place of the action which led to his MM. I have copies of his three medal cards from GRO and his certificate of disembodiment on demobilisation. Information from these is

Enlisted in TA (RWR) 13 February 1914

Original service number 2193

Wounded on the Somme - listed in Birmingham Daily Post 19 August 1916

New service number 268306

New unit 2/7 Bn RWR

Won MM late 1917/early 1918 - listed in London Gazette 7 October 1918 but in Birmingham Evening

Despatch 18 June 1918.

Won DCM 24 October 1918 - listed in London Gazette 12 March 1919 and 2 December 1919.

Disembodied 16 February 1919

Reenlisted (assumed in TA) 12 July 1921

Does anyone know what happened to Rob Williams and his database? He seems to have disappeared.

Thanks

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob.Do you have anything on the following soldiers from the Warwickshire Regiment in WW1 at all?

Sjt 269444 Bertie.J.Charlesworth (previously 2910 Staffs Yeo).

Pte 18457 H.J.Powell

Pte 305022 P.B.Powell.

I gather the above 2 gents were brothers.Any information much appreciated.All the best Bob Clayton. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Do you have any information on Corporal 268167 Thomas Charles Hammersley 2/7 RWR who died on 27/8/1917 and who is buried in Belgium.

Thanks,

Mark.

Guest GDONOHOE

Rob,

would you be kind enough to look up a

Benjamin George Gough

known as George Gough

Died we believe at Ypres in 1915 (may be wrong)

Almost certainly a Private

2nd Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Sent off via Warwick via Isle of Wight?

We have a letter to home from him which I have scanned in, if I get permission from my cousin I may be able to post it on here,but it includes the interesting quote..........

"We do not expect to go for the germans yet as we have no tools, but we shall see in the course of a day or two we have just got a 1 hundred rounds of ball as I are(sic) writing so I dont know what that means for they can shoot anyone here out after dark"

Elsewhere he complains that they have had little food and only got 1 blanket each. Also that he got drunk before they reached the barracks at IOW

He was my great grandad and he died when my Nan was 2.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Rob,

Charles STROUD served as a sergeant (No. 5057) in the Warwickshire Regiment during the First World War.

He earned the Indian General Service Medal 1908-35 (EdVII obverse), clasp 'North West Frontier 1908' as a private (No. 5057).

Any further information would be appreciated. If none, please add this information to your database.

Thankyou,

Mark

Thats twice the coldstream guards entire contigent for ww1 - quite an achievement ! well done you

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Having had a good browse through this thread I realise that Rob is no longer doing his stuff...but if anyone else can help I'd be very grateful.

We're trying to trace my husband's elusive father (for interest's sake, nothing more sinister..) and have recently come across a letter from him that said he served in the 3rd City Battalion, based first in Moseley, then Sutton Coldfield. I'm assuming this was one of the reserve battalions that did not go overseas.

His surname was QUAIFE First names could be Charles or Derek.

Always said he was related to the Warwickshire cricketing Quaifes, but we're beginning to think (from not being able to pin him down at all through any research) that he was a bit of a fantasist!!

Thanks in advance for any information

Lizzie :)

Checking the Medal Index cards on the National Archives web site, there are 58 men who served with the surname Quaife, but none served in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Terry