Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

robwilliams

Hi Rob

I would be grateful if you could let me have any information on the following man:

HARRISON, George Robson MM, Private 25892. 10 Royal Warwickshires. DOW 14/08/18

He was born in Sheraton, Durham and enlisted in West Hartlepool. SDGW gives his place of residence as Southampton. I'm trying to establish if this is the George Harrison on the War Memorial at Sarisbury, Southampton.

Many thanks.

MARK

Rob, Thanks for this offer, which is obviously keeping you busy!!

Would you possibly check on:

Allsopp, John William, Private 54201, 2nd Bn, KIA 23/10/18, Italy.

Batchelor, Frederick, battalion unknown, 14880, transferred to MGC 1/1/1916.

Thanks,

Andrew

Guest Hussar

Ray,

There is a Pte. J.H Doughty 6790 of the 1st Btn. RWR KIA 25/4/15 but his name is John Henry.

Mark,

Pte. Jasper Packer 3171 1st Btn. RWR also KIA 25.4.15

Son of Eliza Packer, of Tockenham Manor Garage, Tockenham, Wotton Bassett, Wilts., and the late Jasper Packer; husband of Ann Packer, of Longcot, Faringdon, Berks.

both are recorded on the Menin Gate

Rob,

Wondered if you have anything on these chaps:

Lt George Barrett, 12th Batt attached to 2nd Hamps KIA Gallipoli, 6 Aug 1915. May have had a connection to the 11th batt. From Braunston, Rutland.

242172, L/Clp George Kettle, 1st/6th Battalion. Originally a 7th Leics man. Transferred sometime after 1915. Killed, apparently during a night attack (or raid), 16 Apr 1917, close to Epehy. From Burley on the Hill, Rutland.

3088, Pte George Liddamore, 9th Battalion. Died 21 Apr 1916, commemorated on the Basra Memorial. From North Luffenham, Rutland.

I have brief bios on the first two, together with photos should you need them.

Jim

John "Brummie Nick",

Starting with the earliest unanswered request:

Pte 611 Percy Jeeves, 9 Platoon, C Company. Landed in France 21.11.15, killed 22.7.16. Son of Edwin & Nancy, 1a Craven St, Ravensthorp, Dewsbury, Yorks. Photo in Bham Weekly Post 5.8.16. Listed as killed 31.8.16 in Bham Daily Post. Occupation: Warks County cricketer.

Rob

Alec,

FP Cooper is in the Bham Daily Post of 6.10.16 as 'killed' and in Bham Weekly Post of 14.10.16. Came from Droitwich, Worcs.

Nothing extra on Harrison.

Hughes mentioned in Bham Daily Post, 21.9.17, 'killed'.

Rob

Guest peter johnson

Rob

Any info on 2Lt Eric Heatherington, Died 04/05/17, Commemorated on the Arras Memorial

Many thanks

Peter

Mark,

Captain Hicks Philip Hugh Whitby, 1 Battalion. Landed 23 March 1915, hence awarded 15 Star. London Gazette: 4.1.17 MiD, London Gazette 24.9.18 MC, "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during a daylight raid. He commanded his party in a most skilful manner and was largely responsible for its success. About 50 of the enemy were killed, several of whom were shot by him with his revolver, and two prisoners taken. His conduct was splendid.", London Gazette 27.12.18 MiD.

Mentioned in Bham Daily Post 13.9.18, 'wounded'.

Hope that's of some use. Another ex Warwicks RHMS Saundby became high ranking RAF officer in WW2.

Rob

Rob,

Blimey, another luminary who served in the 1st Battalion along with my two great-uncles. Monty, Bairnsfather and now 'Pip' Hicks. Thanks a lot.

Mark H.

I have a regimentally produced photo album of the 1st Bn Royal Warwicks in India in 1908; Hicks features prominently.

Incidentally - he was one of the few survivors of the massacre of the Warwicks at Wormhoudt in May 1940. (See 'Massacre on the Road to Dunkirk' by Leslie Aitken).

I always felt that Hackett did his durndest to besmirch Hicks at any opportunity over Arnhem, but I'm biased..

Rob

Thanks for the offer.

Could you do a look up on these men please.

Pte. 33882 Hector Wark 16th Battalion. Died of Wounds 12th November 1917.

Pte. 32633 A. Matthias 16th Battalion. KIA 23rd August 1918.

Pte. 41318 Simon Cavana 2/6th Battalion. KIA 16th September 1918.

Thanks

James

Cooper,

You have struck lucky. You have a Birmingham Battalion man. He was 15th Battlion (2 City Bn). Landed in France 21.11.15 with the Bn. Originally in 14 Platoon, D Company, so there will be a picture of the platoon in the Birmingham Battalions Book of Honour (though not named individually).

Discharged 25.3.18, probably due to wounds as listed in Bham Daily Post on 12.10.16 as 'wounded'. He was probably wounded around end of August/beginning of September.

Rob

Tony,

All I have on SL Newey is that he went to France on 4.1.15 and was discharged on 17.7.16. I have not yet found him in the SWB roll, so do not yet know why he was discharged, or when he joined.

Rob

Mark,

George Robson Harrison MM. Previously 69103 ASC. LG 13.9.18 for MM. Son of Robson & Mary, husband of Elizabeth Ann. Lived Red Lion, Elwick, Hartlepool. No mention of Southampton. Died 14.8.18.

Rob

Andrew,

All I have on Allsopp would appear to be CWGC. Formerly 117138 Notts & Derby. Came from Derbyshire.

Batchelor does not yet appear. He is not on the 15 Star roll for the Warwicks, so may appear in the MGC roll. Most of the men with numbers near his go into 9, 10 or 11 battalions.

Sorry,

Rob

No problems Rob. Thanks very much for looking, and every little helps - e.g. I didn't know that Allsopp was a former Forester!

Rob,

thanks for the info, I have now something to go on. I really appreciate, thanks,

all the best,

Cooper

John "Brummie Nick",

Starting with the earliest unanswered request:

Pte 611 Percy Jeeves, 9 Platoon, C Company. Landed in France 21.11.15, killed 22.7.16. Son of Edwin & Nancy, 1a Craven St, Ravensthorp, Dewsbury, Yorks. Photo in Bham Weekly Post 5.8.16. Listed as killed 31.8.16 in Bham Daily Post. Occupation: Warks County cricketer.

Rob

Rob thanks for that, much appreciated.

John

Thanx Mark

Info on John Henry Doughty RWR interesting. Can't yet connect with 'my' Doughty's but who knows1

Still looking for ANY info on Prvt Frederick thomas Parker, 2nd Battallion RWR in WW1. He was wounded at Gouzeacourt Wood. Shot through the neck.

He recovered. later servbed in 2/4th Battallion Royal Berks. Don't know why he was transfered or when.

Have writen to R Berks Reg Museum, 'The Wardrobe' for info and sent a donation but haver had no replies at all.

I know Grandad fred did not go to italy with the 2nd battallion so assume he was at that time unfit or had been posted to R Berks reg. I am pretty sure he was then or shortly after made up to Lance Corporal.

Ah well, will keep on searching and trying to piece together his War service from whatever I can get hold of!

Thanx

Ray

• 1 month later...

Rob

The last time I sent a message to this topic was way back on the 4th Jan

My grandfather Frederick Hide was a sergeant in the 2/6th Batt of the RWR and his rgt no. was 241756

I notice you now have records of the SWB recipients? Would there be a record of F Hide here? On his medal roll the details are SWB list L/A/904

You said that the men of the second-line TF and the later N.A. (ie those who did not get a Star) are much harder to research, and only appear in the rolls of the War & Victory medals. Does this mean that the service records for these soldiers will be harder to find too?

I appreciate your assistance

Nick Clark

Guest Simon Bull

Hi Rob,

I would be really grateful if you could give me any information you have on Herbert William Bailey of the 14th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment, killed on 3/9/1916 and remembered at Thiepval. I have an interest in him because I am researching the War Memorial at Great and Little Harrowden. Whilst Bailey does not appear on the War Memorial, he is remembered on his parents' gravestone in the churchyard at Great Harrowden. I assume that they moved to the area after the War, so Bailey is not in fact a "Harrowden Man" but I am still interested in him.

Thanks

Simon Bull

Rob-Any info on Albert Fluck, the father of 'blonde bombshell' Diana Dors? A documentary about her showed a wartime photograph of Bert with a Warwicks cap badge. It went too fast for me to tell what rank he was but he looked junior-officerish.