Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

robwilliams

Rob

I have been researching the men named on memorials in the Calderdale area of West Yorkshire. I am currently about half way through my research and have found 3 men who served in the Warwicks.

Name: Harold A Tetley

Regiment/Corps: 6th Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Date Died: 12/04/18

Cemetery/Memorial: Ploegsteert Memorial, Comines-Warneton, Hainaut, Belgium

Details: He lived at 7 Mosley Drive, Holmfield. Enlisted in the ranks in 2/4th Duke of Wellingtons Regt. He was promoted to Sgt and commisioned in the in Warwicks.

Local Memorials: Bradshaw

Name: Albert Ogden

Regiment/Corps: 15th Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Date Died: 26/10/17

Cemetery/Memorial: Tyne Cot Memorial, Zonnebeke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium

Details: He lived at 2 Butress Lane, Luddendenfoot and attended Luddenden Church. Enlisted in the Scottish Horse (no 6288) in 1916. He worked as a woollen mill operative, Rileys Mill.

Local Memorials: Luddenden

Name: Bert Bonner

Regiment/Corps: 2nd Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Date Died: 07/11/14

Cemetery/Memorial: Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium

Details: Son of George and Martha Bonner, of 3, Shibden Mill Fold, Shibden, Halifax.

Local Memorials: Halifax

If you have any more details I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

Regards

Rob Hamilton

Ian,

Pte E Chambers. Died 27.8.17 and commemorated on Tyne Cot. Formerly 27416 Norfolk Regt. Listed in Birmingham Daily Post on 1 October 1917 as killed.

Rob

Dave,

I have EL Styles starting off in the 16th and then going to the 14th battalion. Strangely, he does not appear in the R Warwicks 1915 Star roll, though it is not 100% complete. He appears in the Bham Daily Post on 11.9.16 as missing. His initials in the newspaper are 'EJ', though this source is littered with mistakes.

Rob

Hi,Rob.

I'd be grateful for any info. you have about 24287 Pte. John Thomas MARTIN ,11/R.Waricks.Regt. KIA 9/10/1917.

I already have the CWGC & SDGW info. Anything extra would be much appreciated.

Cheers!,

Dave.

Thanks to Terry and Rob

It does seem odd that Rob's ref. has Private E L Styles transferred to the 14 RWR, when Terry's ref. has him in the 16 RWR. Perhaps he was due to be transferred and the paperwork was completed, but he was killed before he moved.

Thanks again

Dave

Michael,

Re Richard Coles...nothing in my database, sorry. It is still growing. I am off to the PRO later this month and hope to make big inroads into the Silver War Badge rolls. You can now use digital cameras, so I am hoping to photograph as many pages containing Warwicks as possible. If it is a success I can then make a start on the War & Victory medal rolls, but there are 'only' 26 volumes of them, 300+ pages per volume! I hope my database will eventually grow to about 50,000 entries.

Before anyone asks, no, I will not be making it available to the regimental museum, too much water under the bridge for that.

Anyway, the Garrison battalions were raised from men too old/young/unfit for full military service. They literally garrisoned areas, leaving regular battalions free to fight. Egypt was a popular posting for them.

Rob

Nick,

Do you have a number?

I have two Cpls by the name of F Hide.

One, 2903 was listed as wounded in Bham Daily Post of 30.8.16 (so he seems unlikely). The other 5532, was listed on 23.1.17, also wounded. The lists of wounded died out at the end of November 17, as they were getting too long. You could still get details of officers who were wounded, but not ORs. The only ORs were those who were killed, and there was little point searching for them as they are on SDGW and CWGC.

The men of the second-line TF and the later N.A. (ie those who did not get a Star) are much harder to research, as they only appear in the rolls of the War & Victory medals.

Rob

Rob,

Harold Arthur Tetley was comm'd into the 2/6th Bn. He is listed in the Bham Daily Post of 2.5.18 as killed.

I have nothing new on Ogden.

Bonner...Pte 7865 landed with the 2nd Bn on 4.10.14. As such entitled to the 1914 Star. Listed in the Bham Daily Post on 4.10.15 as killed. The newspaper gives his initials as CB. The same paper also lists a Pte C Bonner, 7866, as missing on 4.1.15. However, I believe the two entries relate to the same man. The microfilms of the paper are often very difficult to read and, amongst others, the numbers 5 and 6 are easy to confuse. The dates of the two entries would appear to relate to the same man, as the authorities often left it twelve months before proclaiming a missing man as dead.

Many thanks for your info, I shall now add the details into the database.

Rob

Rob

Thanks very much for the help so far.

My grandfather's rgt no. on his medal roll is 241756 (the 7 may be a 9 due to the hand writing on the form!)

The record also clearly states that he was a sergeant 'sgt' as it is written under the heading rank.

Other details on this form for the medals: Next to heading 'Victory' L/104 B16 3435 and ' - do -' next to British. finally

SWB list L/A/904

I hope this helps and I appreciate your assistance

Nick Clark

Rob

I have copies of the Absent Voters lists for my part of country (South Shropshire), I have just had a quick look and there are a few Warwickshire Regt. included. Would you like me to e-mail you the details of all Warwickshire Regt. that I can find. Plus, does your database record any men who trans. from or to K.S.L.I., I would be interested in any such info.

Regards

Annette

Annette,

That would be very kind and much appreciated.

I will do a search of the database and send you the results.

It really gives me great pleasure to be able to share this information and to add to it.

Rob

Rob

Do you have anyway to confirm if the following officer served in the Warwicks?

I only have the briefest of details

B. J. King 6734487

Sorry no rank.

Regards

Andrew

Annette,

Maj Barnes, Leon Thomas Victor, att 7/KSLI from 5/Warwicks. Won the MC whilst with KSLI. Lived Edgbaston, Birmingham.

He appears to be the only one but I will have another look for you.

Rob

Rob

Thanks for info. on Maj Barnes, Leon Thomas Victor. I have sent you an e-mail with the names of men from my part of South Shropshire who served in Warwicks.

Regards

Annette

Hi Rob,

Could you have a look at another one for me?

The local paper says:

John Taylor, Royal Warwicks, Died 22/10/17.

Parents: The late William & Annie Taylor.

He was a resident of Fenny Stratford/Bletchley, Bucks.

I have no other info and could not find him on the CWGC.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks Ian

I ran a search on Soldiers Died for any soldier with the surname Taylor who died between 1st - 31st October 1917. The closest candidate was

Private John Taylor 14th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment 17805

b. Maidstone Kent

e. Malvern Worcs

r. Bletchley Bucks

kia France and Flanders 22/10/17

despite the contradiction in numbers this appears to be the man on the CWGC: he is the only Taylor with this number, and the SDGW CD doesn't have any 'Taylor' with the number 37805. Must be an error.

In Memory of

JOHN TAYLOR

Private

14th Bn., Worcestershire Regiment

who died on

Monday 22 October 1917 .

Cemetery: TYNE COT MEMORIALZonnebeke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium

Grave or Reference Panel Number: Panel 75 to 77

I think the 14th Worcs were a pioneer unit. I'll consult Stacke and let you know what they were up to on the 22/10/17.

HTH

Simon

Guest stephen821

Hi Rob (and all),

I wonder if you have any information on my grandfather, 10297 Private Albert Dennis Hobson, Royal Warwickshire Regiment?

He was reported wounded by the army 2 November 1915, serving with 10 battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Noted in B'Ham Post 12 November 1915.

I'd also be interested to learn what action the 10th batallion was involved in at that time. From what I seen so far on this website it looks like the tail end of the Battle of Loos, but I can't find what the 10th's involvement was.

Thanks in advance

Stephen

Hi Stephen (Rob, Hope you don't mind me answering this query)

During this period the 10th RWR (19th Div) were in and out the line in the Richbourg St Vaast area midway between Neuve Chapelle and Festubert. There was no offensive action at the time just standard trench holding duties, repairing trenches, wiring parties, night patrols to annoy the Germans.

Their positions can be found on the Trench Map 36 S.W.3 Richbourg, 1/10,000. Roughly squares 14, 15, 16 is the area occupied by the 10th RWR when your Grandfather was wounded.

He was actually wounded on Friday 22 October, 1915 along with another comrade. (both in D Company) Possibly by the same German sniper.

Pte Banks, 8226, received a slight bullet wound to the head. Your grandfather, Pte Hobson, 10297, received a bullet wound in the left shoulder. (Pte Banks was wounded again in September,1916) (At this period War Diarys gave the names of wounded)

Apart from that it was a very quiet day in the trenches. It must have been, because Brigadier General Twyford toured the front line with the battalion C.O. around midday.

At this time the 10th RWR were in the line around Richbourg St Vaast, Rue Du Bois, Richbourg L'Avoue. The front line positions were in the area of Ferme Cour D'Avoue and Ferme Du Bois.

I have sent you an e-mail with this area of trench map.

Any questions please get in touch.

Regards

Terry

Stephen,

Pte Hobson enlisted into the Army on 5.1.15. He landed in France on 18.7.15 with the original 10th Bn. He was discharged on account of wounds on 19.7.16.

He spent all of his time with the 10th Bn.

You have the Bham Daily Post entry.

Rob

(Thanks Terry)

Hello Rob

Would you mind looking to see if you have any details on the following Royal Warwick for me?

He name was Lance-Corporal William Millett and he served with the 2nd Battalion. He came from the Palfrey district of Walsall and was wounded sometime in October/November 1914 around Ypres. There is an account in the Walsall Observer relating to him lying wounded for five days in the open before being retrieved by the Germans, and then being rescued by the French when their position was overrun. I know that he later transferred to the Essex Regiment and was discharged in 1917. Unfortunately I do not have his Royal Warwicks regimental number.

PS I think the 1/5th South Staffords did have a bit of help winning the war - they were a good battalion but not that good! :lol: