Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

robwilliams

Checking the Medal Index cards on the National Archives web site, there are 58 men who served with the surname Quaife, but none served in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Terry

I'm very grateful for your help. It all gets curiouser and curiouser...every lead we get on the elusive DC Quaife turns out to be a dead end.

All the best

Lizzie

Hope I can be of help to someone. Over the years I have built up a database of members of the above Regiment. It currently has 39000 entries. By necessity, it is still not complete. However, if you want me to look someone up, just ask

hi, can you help me find out more about william day who died 6 sep 1917

Hi Rob

does your database contain any data for Corporal 4417 Thomas Brindley DCM MM 2nd Batt RWR. He was born Bedworth, Warwickshire and died 9-11-1917. He is listed on the Tyne Cot memorial.

My cousin, his great-niece, has the MICs, so we know he landed in France in May 1915. We believe he was with 7 Division, 22 Brigade and have a copy of the 7th Division history. I've found his Gazette entries: MM listed 8-12-1916 although the MIC says he was Gazetted 24-10-1916, DCM citation 31-07-1917.

After the War in Bedworth, a book was published listing those from Bedworth who served, who fell, who were PoW, who received honours. It lists name and regiment, not service number. In the honours list of this book Tom Brindley is shown as having been awarded the DCM, MM and the Medaille Miltaire. I have searched the London Gazette but cannot find a Medaille Militaire awarded to 4417 T Brindley. We don't know what happened to his medals so can't prove/disprove the Medaille Militaire in that way.

Do you know of this man, or can you suggest where I might find details of those awarded the Medaille Militaire?

thanks

Helen

• 2 weeks later...
Hope I can be of help to someone. Over the years I have built up a database of members of the above Regiment. It currently has 39000 entries. By necessity, it is still not complete. However, if you want me to look someone up, just ask

Hiya,

I'm trying to find out about my grandfather who served in the Royal Warwickshire Regt in the 1st WW. His name was Pvt Bennett, William Henry No. 15420. Any info would be most grateful.

Keith.squire68@hotmail.com