Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help find a missing soldier?

David_Bluestein

I have come across a soldier who for some reason is no where to be found in the CWGC database (or the Canadian Virtual War Memorial) ? I am beginning to worry he is not commemorated! Here are the details:

I acquired an original photograph of a wooden cross taken by the "Director of graves registration and enquiries" and mounted onto a small official form. The details of the form (next to the photo) describes:

Driver J. Cockburn, Canadian Engineers.

Position of Grave: "Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery"

Nearest Railway Station: "Poperinghe"

The National Archives in Ottawa Canada gives the following information via their web site:

472318 Dvr. John George Alexander Cockburn. Born in Scotland February 7, 1897. Next of kin is listed as his father at a Saskatoon Sask. Canada address. He lists his trade as a Baker.

Would any members be kind enough to try and track down this mans place of burial on the database, or share any thoughts on this case?

Thanks in anticipation

David

Hi David,

In the CWGC register for Lijssenthoek, second part overseas troops other than Australians, your chap is listed as :

COCKBURN Dvr., John George Alexander, 472318, 7th Field Coy. Canadian Engineers. D.O.W. 01/05/16, age 19, Son of Anrew A. and janet COCKBURN, of 1, Hunt Block, 23rd St, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Born at Duns, Scotland. VI.B. 36A.

Koyli.

Well done! Thanks.

Did you find him in the actual register book OR on-line? He still does not appear to be in the internet database???

Howeve, GLAD to know he is commemorated!

Thanks again

David

Thanks to KOYLI*, Tom, and Terry!!!

The pals do it again.

Best regards

David

*(Kings Own Yorkshire Light Inf.?)