Remembered Today:

Kirkee Cemetery, Pune, India

Paul Nixon

Fred

Got your e-mail and replied to it. You're very welcome, I'm glad I could give something back to a forum whose members (yourself included)have, at different times, also assisted me greatly.

Best wishes

Paul

• 1 month later...
Guest Geoff Walton

Dear Paul,

Did you go? I went about 20 years ago but when I got back my photos did not come out well, so I know my grand father is on one of those large columns at te back but I don't have any good pictures. His name was John Walton. I discovered from his death certificate that he died while on garison duty but I have no other clue why he was in India and not in France. Does anybody else know?

Regards,

Geoff Walton

I shall be visiting Kirkee cemetery next Monday (4th July) and, flights permitting, will have the afternoon to take photos.

Although established to receive Second World War graves from western and central India there is a also a memorial in the cemetery to more than 1,800 servicemen who died in India during WW1.  This is from the CWGC site:

The KIRKEE MEMORIAL commemorates more than 1,800 servicemen who died in India during the First World War, who are buried in civil and cantonment cemeteries in India and Pakistan where their graves can no longer be properly maintained. This total includes the names of 629 servicemen whose remains were brought from Bombay (Sewri) Cemetery for re-interment here in 1960.

Happy to take photos if you PM me the details.

Paul

Hello Geoff

I did go and I took photos of all panels bar one so the chances are that I have your grandfather's name. If you can let me know what panel he is on I'll send you the photo.

When World War One began, many seasoned troops garrisoned in India were hurriedly brought back to England before being sent to join the war effort closer to home. Somne regular battalions remained in India throughout the war (The 1st Royal Sussex is a good example) but in many cases. the regulars were replaced by territorials who, in retrospect, must have counted themselves lucky that they'd been spared the Wetsern Front and Gallipoli. India was non hostile of course but a garrison presence was still required. Those troops - like your grandfather - who died whilst in India, mostly did so as a result of disease or accident. The flu pandemic in 1918 also took its toll on those men who had already escaped dysentry, cholera and must have thought they were home and dry.

Paul

• 8 months later...
Guest lone piper
I see that the above shots have pixelated somewhat but you get the general idea. The originals are far better.

Bill Jenkins

Liverpool

Hi

I know you must have got proud satisfaction in helping so many out with the photos from KIRKEE. Kirkee was just on of 32 war grave locations visited in 1991 but it left me with a memory that inspired me to carry on with my lone war graves pilgrimages each year up to this day. There among the graves was the grave of a FIFTEEN year old soldier and he stayed in my mind. I often think of the politicians and ranking military who stand yearly to mutter WE WILL REMEMBER THEM without really knowing who THEY were.

As I stood at that wee lads grave playing 'Going Home' on my pipes I knew he never would go home. He would never have the pride of sitting with his children on his knee. That is what war is. Not simply the destruction of counctries but the cutting down of a young life. I hope one day we will learn

Bill Jenkins (72

The Lone Piper

Guest geoff501
There among the graves was the grave of a FIFTEEN year old soldier and he stayed in my mind. I often think of the politicians and ranking military who stand yearly to mutter WE WILL REMEMBER THEM without really knowing who THEY were.

There is a 17 year old, RGA casualty on my local memorial who name is on the Kirkee memorial, but this may be your young fellow:

As per CWGC.

Name: FISHER, JOSEPH

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Connaught Rangers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 21/11/1914

Service No: 10676

Additional Information: Son of Catherine Fisher, of 33, Ineverton St., North Kensington, London.

Casuality Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Face 10.

Cemetery: KIRKEE 1914-1918 MEMORIAL

From SDGW.

b Kensington, Middx.

e Warley

r Kensington.

Died, India.

In the 1901 census, there is a birth of this name registered in Middlesex, the first quarter of 1899, which would make him possibly under 16 at the time of death.

We Will Remember them. Thank you Bill for your posts.

• 2 years later...

Hello Paul

I am new to the forum and have just your topic on Kirkee Cemetery with great interest. If I am not too late I would like to request a photograph of a soldier's memorial reference. His details are as follows.

Gummer, William, Serv No 40015

Driver, Royal field Artillery, 37th Bde, Ammunition Col

D.O.D. 01/08/1916

Grave/Memnorial Ref: Face B.

Kind regards

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, Roy. I have that image, can you send me a PM with your e-mail id please.

To everybody else who has sent me a message recently, e-mails are on their way to you. Regretfully, I only have photos of the memorial panels at Kirkee and a few general shots of the cemetery. All the photos of the WW2 graves were sent to the British War Graves and Memorials project some while back so they should appear on their website.

Paul

Dear Paul

If you by any chance had a high resolution image of the memorial Face 1 (3 x 14th Hussars; Plyer. Collins Griffiths) and Face A (1 x 14th Hussars; Holloway) I would be very grateful. I visited there in 1998 (I think) but cameras are not what they are now!

Many thanks

Patrick

Just a public thank-you to Paul for sending me some good shots of various panels on the Kirkee Memorial.

Much appreciated.

LST_164

LST_164, you're very welcome.

Patrick, yes I do indeed have that panel. I know we've corresponded before but I don't seem to have your e-mail address. Can you send it to me please.

Paul

Incidentally, the individual grave shots that I took do appear on The War Graves Photographic Project site: http://www.twgpp.org/index.php

Paul,

Just connected with your chain of posting re the Kirkee Cemetry. I am working of the Roll of Honour for my home town and would ask if you have a image that portrays Face 2 and in particular the listing for Pte 866146 F. TRIGGER, Royal Field Artillery who died on 1st November 1918. If so, could I ask for a copy for use in this soldier's listing.

A shot showing the general layout of the memorial would also be useful.

Thanking you in anticipation.

John Ellis

Sure John

PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the photos.

Paul

Hello Geoff

I did go and I took photos of all panels bar one so the chances are that I have your grandfather's name. If you can let me know what panel he is on I'll send you the photo.

When World War One began, many seasoned troops garrisoned in India were hurriedly brought back to England before being sent to join the war effort closer to home. Somne regular battalions remained in India throughout the war (The 1st Royal Sussex is a good example) but in many cases. the regulars were replaced by territorials who, in retrospect, must have counted themselves lucky that they'd been spared the Wetsern Front and Gallipoli. India was non hostile of course but a garrison presence was still required. Those troops - like your grandfather - who died whilst in India, mostly did so as a result of disease or accident. The flu pandemic in 1918 also took its toll on those men who had already escaped dysentry, cholera and must have thought they were home and dry.

Paul

Hello Geoff

My grandfather was in India and I recently discovered that the 1st Garrison Battalion the Manchester Regiment was made up of men who weren't considered fit enough for combat . I assume they were formed to release regular army group(s) . I guess that if they weren't completely fit , quite a number must have succumbed to the climate . My grandfather apparently told my mother that he found the heat of the barracks almost unbearable . When he was commissioned life improved immeasurably .

I don't know whether other regiments were formed and selected in the same way , maybe someone can comment ?

Linden

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul -

Relative of mine says her grand-father Arnold Bishop - Royal Lancs Regt - wounded in Mesopotania - died on a hospital ship on his way to India and is remembered on the Kirkee memorial (face B) - do you have a pix of this panel or an overall view of the memorial - any info appreciated

Eric

Sorry for the late reply, Roy. I have that image, can you send me a PM with your e-mail id please.

To everybody else who has sent me a message recently, e-mails are on their way to you. Regretfully, I only have photos of the memorial panels at Kirkee and a few general shots of the cemetery. All the photos of the WW2 graves were sent to the British War Graves and Memorials project some while back so they should appear on their website.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Would those photos include the five RAAF lads that are buried there. A search of their site comes up with a zero result.

ALLEN, JAMES FREDERICK Flight Sergeant 405616 SAC STN POORA 1/09/1943 22 Royal Australian Air Force Australian 13. C. 7.

HAYTER, HAROLD EDGAR Flight Lieutenant 257620 227 Group (RAF) 15/08/1943 40 Royal Australian Air Force Australian 9. J. 11.

SHANAHAN, JOSEPH PATRICK Warrant Officer 418186 353sq (ACSEA) 17/08/1945 23 Royal Australian Air Force Australian 7. D. 10.

STRACHAN, ROBERT HAWKINS Warrant Officer 413040 3 RFU POONA 16/01/1945 26 Royal Australian Air Force Australian 9. H. 8.

WHITEHURST, DOUGLAS ARTHUR Flight Sergeant 421779 3 RFU RAF POONA 16/05/1944 20 Royal Australian Air Force Australian 10. E. 9.

Cheers

Geoff

• 1 year later...
Hi Paul,

Would those photos include the five RAAF lads that are buried there. A search of their site comes up with a zero result.

ALLEN, JAMES FREDERICK Flight Sergeant 405616 SAC STN POORA 1/09/1943 22 Royal Australian Air Force Australian 13. C. 7.

HAYTER, HAROLD EDGAR Flight Lieutenant 257620 227 Group (RAF) 15/08/1943 40 Royal Australian Air Force Australian 9. J. 11.

SHANAHAN, JOSEPH PATRICK Warrant Officer 418186 353sq (ACSEA) 17/08/1945 23 Royal Australian Air Force Australian 7. D. 10.

STRACHAN, ROBERT HAWKINS Warrant Officer 413040 3 RFU POONA 16/01/1945 26 Royal Australian Air Force Australian 9. H. 8.

WHITEHURST, DOUGLAS ARTHUR Flight Sergeant 421779 3 RFU RAF POONA 16/05/1944 20 Royal Australian Air Force Australian 10. E. 9.

Cheers

Geoff

I know it's been along time since you posted this request, but I've only just stumbled on it, I've got some photo's of Douglas Arthur Whitehurst's grave taken a couple of years ago. He died with my uncle who is buried next to him P A Wilde. I also have some pictures of Douglas and another couple of Australian pilots that Tony ( my Uncle) took before he was killed. Would they be of any interest to you?

I know it's been along time since you posted this request, but I've only just stumbled on it, I've got some photo's of Douglas Arthur Whitehurst's grave taken a couple of years ago. He died with my uncle who is buried next to him P A Wilde. I also have some pictures of Douglas and another couple of Australian pilots that Tony ( my Uncle) took before he was killed. Would they be of any interest to you?

Hi Irish Hussar,

Fantastic that you came across this post.

Any photos would be most welcome.

I will PM you my email ID.

Cheers

Geoff

I am unable to send you a PM. Message states you do not receive PM.

How can I send you my email address short of posting it on open forum?

Cheers

Geoff

• 4 months later...
The KIRKEE MEMORIAL commemorates more than 1,800 servicemen who died in India during the First World War, who are buried in civil and cantonment cemeteries in India and Pakistan where their graves can no longer be properly maintained. This total includes the names of 629 servicemen whose remains were brought from Bombay (Sewri) Cemetery for re-interment here in 1960.

Hi Paul

I know I am a bit late but.....

I am wondering if you have a photo of Face F. I am looking for the names of Sister Amy O'Grady AANS, and Sister Kathleen Power AANS. Both died of cholera in Bombay just one day apart on 12 and 13 August 1916. Also on Face F I am looking for the name of Australian Munition Worker Ralph Jones who was on his way back to Australia in March 1919 when he became very ill and died in Bombay on 4 May 1919. All three were buried in Bombay (Sewri) Cemetery. The numbers of the grave locations for the Nursing sisters appear in their service records which I have read online, but I am not able to read Ralph Jones's dossier online.

The above quote mentions that the remains of 629 servicemen were brought from Bombay (Sewri) Cemetery for reinterment at Kirkee in 1960. It would appear that, as their names appear on the Kirkee Memorial, Sister Power, Sister O'Grady and Worker Ralph Jones were not amongst those reinterred and their remains are still at Bombay (Sewri) Cemetery. I wonder if the graves are marked in any way.

Many thanks if you can possibly help me with photos or information, or to anyone who can assist.

Judy

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Judy, I've only just seen this post.

Please send me a PM with your details and I'll send you the photograph.

Paul

I have only just seen this too, and am also after a pic of Face F.....N E J Harding.

I'd be delighted to receive a pic, but not if it is any bother.

Bruce

Many thanks Paul. It is amazing to be able to zoom in and read the names so clearly. I echo the Big Big Thanks

judy

Kim, Judy

You're both very welcome; it's no trouble at all for me to send an e-mail with an attachment. Bruce, I've just dropped you a message to the same effect.

Paul