Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Durham Light Infantry

Doug Lewis

Could anyone point me in the right direction for info on DLI. Im looking for info on hte 20th Btn around Jan 1917 and 13th Btn around Sept 1918.

Thanks Doug

• 1 month later...

13th - France and Flanders 26 Aug 15. Italy 13 Nov 17. 13th were part of 68th Brigade, 23rd Division. France and Flanders 16 Sept 18.

20th - France and Flanders 5 May 16. Italy 19 Nov 17. 20th were part of 123rd Brigade, 41st Division. France and Flanders 17 Mar 18.

You could try:

Durham Light Infantry Museum Collection

This beautifully re-furbished museum tells the story of The Durham Light Infantry from 1758 to 1968, with particular emphasis on the two World Wars. The displays focus on the experience of war, using letter and diary extracts plus the actual voices of WWII veterans. Displays also cover the WWII Home Front in County Durham. The regimental archive is held in the Durham County Record Office, just a few minutes walk from the museum.

Museum Details:

Director / Curator

Stephen D Shannon

Durham Light Infantry Museum Collection

DLI Museum, Durham Art Gallery

Aykley Heads

Durham City

Co Durham

DH1 5TU

Region: North East

Tel: 0191 3842214

Fax: 0191 3861770

e-mail: dli@durham.gov.uk

www.durham.gov.uk/dli

Heritage and Lee

Thank you both for the information you provided.

Doug

Perhaps it's only a one-in-a-hundred chance that this will happen to you but........email, or phone or something before you go to the museum and tell them when you want to go and see if it'll be properly open. I only ever went to Durham once (earlier this year.) I was actually driving from Newcastle to Liverpool between battlefield tour meetings and I deliberately went to Durham just so I could visit the DLI Museum. But when I got there there was a conference or something and some of the most interesting parts of the museum were closed. The staff on the counter told me about this restricted opening, all credit to them. So I went to the cathedral instead. (Fantastic, but I had been looking forward to the DLI Museum as I'd heard so many good reports about it and couldn't see any reason why I should be in the area again in the foreseeable future.)

Tom

I live not too far from the DLI Museum at Aykley Heads and yes they do occasionally let it out for other exhibitions.

Believe they have a dinosaur exhibit coming soon.

It's always best to check.

Bob.