Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Action at Welch Ridge

Guest jim taylor

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am trying to find out information regarding my Great Uncle 201263 PteThomas Richard Fieldhouse who served with 1/4 KSLI. He died of his wounds on 02 January 1918. He is buried at Manancourt. From the information I have gathered the most likely scenario behind his death was that he was injured on 30/31 December 2017 at Welch Ridge. If anyone has any further information I would be grateful. Thanks

21 minutes ago, Beebop said:

If anyone has any further information I would be grateful

1/4 KSLI were the left-hand battalion in the left-hand brigade (190 Bde) of the 6,800 yard front held by the RND on Welsh Ridge. 7/Royal Fusiliers (190 Bde) were on their right and the boundary with 19th Division was on their left.

For a full divisional report of the action on 30 and 31 December 1917 the Kew reference is ADM 137/3932.

That report records losses for 1/4KSLI as Killed: 3 x Off , 28 x OR; Wounded: 6 x Off, 101 OR; Missing: 20 x OR.

For a summary of the action see Douglas Jerrold "The Royal Naval Division" pp 264-271.

Edited by horatio2

Hi Beebop,

Welcome to the Forum.

Findmypast have a medical record for Thomas. It shows that he was admitted to 149 Field Ambulance on 30th December 1917 with wounds to his legs, chest and right hand, and transferred to Casualty Clearing Station "Ytres" on the same day.

Regards

Chris 

Hello Beebop

The History of the KSLI in the Great War covers the action. If you message me your email address I will send you a scan of the two pages that cover it.

Aucto splendore resurgo

Robin

• 4 months later...
On 21/09/2018 at 18:57, michael (mick) duggan said:

Thank you Horatio 2& clk Chris for your prompt reply . i do have his service  certificate which was sent to my grandmother, but i have no confirmation of as to where he was killed, i assume it was at welsh ridge?

Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Michael( Mick)Duggan

Michael - your grandfather signed up at the same time as my great uncle, Thomas Bartlett.  I researched him on Ancestry (I am a member) and put his family history as I knew it up on Ancestry.  Please contact me there if you need any further help.  My great uncle and your grandfather were, I believe, friends and died on the same day.

• 4 years later...

add R/1920 Able Seaman Edmund Astell of the Drake Battalion to this list of those killed on Welsh Ridge.

He is remembered at Thiepval and on the Harbury War Memorial in Warwickshire.
https://www.swfhs.org.uk/index.php/war-memorial-transcriptions/war-memorial-transcritions-e-k/harbury-wm