London/198 Nellie Taylor Voluntary Aid Detachment

Jim Strawbridge

Taylor

Nellie

Rank/Title/Service Number: Member, London/198

Unit/Force: Voluntary Aid Detachment

Place/Date of Birth:

Place/Date of Death: 27/6/18

Place of Burial/Memorial: France; Seine-Maritime; Mont Huon Military Cemetery, Le Treport; V. M. I

Remarks: Daughter of John and Mary A. Taylor of Helmside, Grasmere, Westmorland, and Brywood, Birkdale. Attd. 10th Motor Amb. Convoy, British Red Cross Society. Her name appears high up on the Southport, Lancashire war memorial under “B.R.C.S. Nellie Taylor. Dvr V.A.D.” Officers Died In The Great War, under Voluntary Aid Detachment, notes the British Red Cross Society. CWGC. YMP5. ODGW

If there is a Pal from Southport or someone going to Mont Huon Military Cemetery I would appreciate photographs.

If there is a Pal from Southport or someone going to Mont Huon Military Cemetery I would appreciate photographs.

Jim

I live in the Southport area. I was copying details of "local" New Zealanders from the Southport war memorial only last week, although it is no longer in Lancashire but in Merseyside.

The problem is that, although I have a digicam, I am not able to make it work due to some sort of conflict.

If/when I get around this problem I will be happy to do pics for you.

Hello Jim

I have some overviews (landscape sort of pieces) of Mont-Huon - do you remember that I took a photo of Gertrude Chambers' gravestone there?

You would be very welcome to any if they were of interest or use. I'm sorry that I don't have any specifically of Nellie Taylor.

Gwyn

BeppoSapone - thanks for the offer. I am content to wait until you have mastered the problem.

Dearon - it is the grave headstone that I am really after. Thanks for the offer, though, Gwyn. Much appreciated.

• 5 years later...
Guest jwntaylor

Jim - I see this is an old posting but I am planning on visiting Mont Huon cemetery in a couple of weeks - did you get the photo you wanted?

Also I am interested to understand your connection with Nellie. She was my Grandfather's sister.

Thanks for you response

Taylor

Nellie

Rank/Title/Service Number: Member, London/198

Unit/Force: Voluntary Aid Detachment

Place/Date of Birth:

Place/Date of Death: 27/6/18

Place of Burial/Memorial: France; Seine-Maritime; Mont Huon Military Cemetery, Le Treport; V. M. I

Remarks: Daughter of John and Mary A. Taylor of Helmside, Grasmere, Westmorland, and Brywood, Birkdale. Attd. 10th Motor Amb. Convoy, British Red Cross Society. Her name appears high up on the Southport, Lancashire war memorial under "B.R.C.S. Nellie Taylor. Dvr V.A.D." Officers Died In The Great War, under Voluntary Aid Detachment, notes the British Red Cross Society. CWGC. YMP5. ODGW

James, I now have photographs of her grave. My interest is because she is one of the women that I am putting together in a Register to eventually commemorate women who died in service in WW1. Out of interest her name is on the Southport War Memorial and on a brass plaque in St. Oswald's Church, Grasmere where the organ had been donated in her memory. I have some information on her life but could do with more. I would particularly like a photograph of her that I may use in the Register. I can be contacted at :- jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk

• 4 years later...
Guest G Clarke

I realise this is a very old post but I visited Mont Houn 31st May and have some photos of the cemetery and headstone. They are too large to attach. Have you another email address that I can send them to if you are interested?

Kind Regards.

Graham Clarke

• 3 years later...

Gents,

I stumbled upon a story here that might be Nellie Taylor ... no names, but date and place match. I'm just puzzled at the circumstances.

I'm reading the war diaries of Edith Appleton right now (edited by Ruth Cowen) and in the 4th volume of her diary, she returns from leave to be posted at Nb 3 General hospital in Le Treport. This is 15th June 1918.

On the 28th June she writes about a woman driver who launched herself off the cliffs after writing letters. Apparently this was not her first suicide attempt and her father had send her to Frane to keep occupied, hoping it would cure her. She was buried 3 days later in a huge cortege, with hundred in attendance, lots of flowers and journalists taking pictures for postcards - somethin Edie Appleton finds absolutely disgusting.

She does not quote a name, but the date of death combined with the place ... there are only 4 women buried in Le Tréport Communal and Mont Huon ...

so my question is: is this story true??

Marilyne

She died of melancholia so it is quite possible. For a moment I thought that the entry referred to Elizabeth Slight Johnson who threw herself from a church tower but the dates do not quite coincide.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:48, Jim Strawbridge said:

She died of melancholia

interesting way to put it ...

• 1 year later...

Nellie is commemorated on her parents' grave in Southport's Duke Street Cemetery. I have just completed a record for this on the IWM's War Memorials Register (WMR 93447). I have also found that a collection of letters from her have recently been for sale (unsold) on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-Letters-NELLIE-TAYLOR-10th-Ambulance-Detachment-1917-18-Southport-Grasmere-/164323101274?nma=true&si=qB2gQ4Owop00X9tvq10DJydgfT4%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557. Interesting to read the conjecture about her death - once Covid restrictions allow I will visit Sefton Archives to see how her death was reported in the local press.

21 hours ago, Padre Bill said:

Nellie is commemorated on her parents' grave in Southport's Duke Street Cemetery. I have just completed a record for this on the IWM's War Memorials Register (WMR 93447). I have also found that a collection of letters from her have recently been for sale (unsold) on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-Letters-NELLIE-TAYLOR-10th-Ambulance-Detachment-1917-18-Southport-Grasmere-/164323101274?nma=true&si=qB2gQ4Owop00X9tvq10DJydgfT4%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557. Interesting to read the conjecture about her death - once Covid restrictions allow I will visit Sefton Archives to see how her death was reported in the local press.

Fascinating to see these letters have surfaced. They seem to have sold at the second offering. They make interesting reading and I would have been happy to join the fray for them had I known they were available.

• spof changed the title to London/198 Nellie Taylor Voluntary Aid Detachment

Interesting letters indeed, from what one can decipher on the screen. 

M.