Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers died Great War

Guest Steve Seaman

Guest Steve Seaman

Hi,

I wonder if any of the Pals can help. I've just done a look up on SDGW and found that my man was listed as Died as opposed to say for example died of wounds , KIA etc.He was buried in the UK . CWGC gives the same info, could this be just a catch all for reasons unknown?

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

On SDGW, the term 'Died' usually means 'Died of illness' or 'Died in accident'.

The CWGC website lists everyone as 'Died'.

If you give me the name of the casualty & burial location, I will look him up in the old CWGC register which sometimes gives a little more detail.

Guest Steve Seaman

Thanks Terry,

My mans names is James FROST RASC number T4/211873 died at home on the 18/5/17 , buried at St Lukes Bishops Hatfield Hertfordshire.His name appears on the Hatfield War memorial.

Steve

Sorry, Steve. No luck.

In fact FROST does not appear in the Hertfordshire WW1 CWGC register. He is one of the many hundreds of casualties that were only added to the lists after the registers were published - in the case of Herts in 1930.

I have just spent five months researching these 'new' casualties and the tally runs into hundreds if not thousands!

• 2 weeks later...

Just started researching a great uncle of mine rifleman

W. ION - 13th bn Rifle Brigade No B/200823. The local war memorial states K.I.A. but the C.W.G.C. as everyone

probably knows says Died. Where can I find out the true definition.

Sorry if I've missed a former thread on the subject.

Kilty.

From "Soldiers Died in the Great War", where it says he was "Killed in action" in France and Flanders.

The other information contained therein is that he was born at Hesket-in-the-Forest, Cumberland, and that he enlisted and was resident in Carlisle. KIA 28/07/17. Rank is Rifleman. And that he was formerly T4/186722, A.S.C. (M.T.)

First name William.

Hope it helps.