Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurses Photos

CSMMo

I have had this photo along with about 100 other WW1 era photos of my grandfather's without a clue as to who these nurses are or what the significance of the photo might be. The background also intrigues me as it doesn't look a lot like the Scotland I've seen (although they do grow palm trees on Bute where the family is from).

Could this be nurses in Salonika? I originally filed it under family photos as the inscription says "To Bob, From Me" and the printing on the back of the chair that one can see reads "McK." (There was a Robert Mckim in the family of whom I've neither heard nor been able to discern anything who was a doctor.)

It occurred to me that it could have been in my grandfather's WW1 collection as he was hospitalized in Salonika with Malaria when there with the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade, RGA, TF.

So I toss it out to the experts - what do you think?

Mike Morrison

p.s. Somehow the photo got reversed!

Mike

Some hospitals hung on to old fashioned uniforms longer than others, but everything about this photo seems to suggest a period between 1900 - 1910. The fullness of the sleeves and bodice and the length of the skirt were of a fussy type that was fading fast, and although no expert on hairstyles, those curls under caps figure frequently in photos of nurses around the turn of the century - by 1912 straighter styles were more obvious. As for Salonika - the photos taken during the Great War show, in the main, tented accommodation in arid conditions, with women wearing a more practical form of dress and hat. I don't think tea in a conservatory fits the bill :) - I would come down more in favour of a UK garden.

And wouldn't I kill for the waistline of the woman in the centre!

Sue

And wouldn't I kill for the waistline of the woman in the centre!

Sue

Sue

Sure you would but would you like the bone corset tied up with strings at the back that forced your waist in to such an unnatural shape?

Martin

I too thought pre WW1,

They look like proper nurses though !!!!

when you look at what we wear to day, sometimes it is difficult to determine who is a nurse, who is adoctor, who is a trained, who is an auxillery etc,

but have to admit that not wearing a hat is better for the head especially in this hot weather!

I too would love that waistline Sue, mine has gone forever!!!!!!!!!

Mandy

Agree with Sue on the uniform dates. Reminds me of some of the photos in Sydney Browne's photo album except these are not military. Are there any South African Boer War connections ???

Norman

It does seem to have the air of an Edwardian afternoon tea, in a well-tended garden.

Is there a clue on the back of the deck-chair? There is a k, and probably an M too.

Well! Great comments. The Boar War connection would be my grandfather's uncle Malcolm Morrison who was in the 1st Contingent of Lovat's Scouts. The image got reversed in the scanning somehow(!) and the lettering on the backs of the chairs reads "McK.". This means (to me) that it goes back to a family history mystery as my grandmother was a McKim and there was a doctor in that branch, although I thought much later.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

Mike Morrison

I envy the one on the right who seemingly has a hussar-type moustache as far as I can see

Careful LB, or there will be complaints about discrimination from female members of the forum who do have unwanted facial hair; the whole matter will end in tears and the thread removed :ph34r:

As for the corsets - most young women like to conform to the fashion of the time, and I imagine that I would have been trussed up with all the others at that time, and thought nothing of it. Nowadays, in liberated times, we continue to be boned, boosted and supported although in different areas - perhaps something to do with the object of men's desire moving upwards?

Sue

Nowadays, in liberated times, we continue to be boned, boosted and supported although in different areas - perhaps something to do with the object of men's desire moving upwards?

Eh??

What Sue means is the bits that society feels are most acceptable to emphasise and display.

The bit most important to men - a pulse - is still exactly where it was, it's just that the secondary sexual characteristics that it is acceptable to show off alter over time. Then - waists and er... waists, really. Today flesh all over the shop, and lots of bosom on display. So the EMPHASIS has, quite literally, moved upward.

I think I need a lie down thinking about that lot...

Adrian

Is there a doctor in the house? :lol:

Marina

Marina

If Adrian needs to lie down he does NOT need a doctor nor anything that may be prescribed for certain conditions.

Ooh, I have come over all of a sweat!

Martin