Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Confusing MIC to Devon Regt.

Duncan

I've just bought a 1914/15 Star thinking he was a casualty, but I think I've made a mistake!!! I assumed the bit in the remarks section said 'died', but I cannot find him on the CWGC for 1915 or 1916.

If it actually says 'disc' for discharged, them why would someone be discharged like that - if he was wounded wouldn't there be a SWB mentioned?

Any suggestions anyone?

Also, does anyone know which Devons battalion had the 3/ prefix for their service number?

Cheers,

Duncan.

post-900-1119716959.jpg

Hi

If you search the on-line mics using the name Taylor and the Service Number 7294

you will get two mics appear. Although there is a slight variation in the spellings I wouldn't mind betting that the other mic is your man's SWB mic. In fact they show the one you already have as "Harved J F Taylor" and the other one as Harold J T Taylor.

Steve

Hello,

Yes, you are right. the first one is S/7294. The S prefix was only used for Scottish regiments (someone's going to tell me otherwise now aren't they!!!). I think you are right, I bet they are the same man.

You are not going to believe what I've done though! This medals I'm researching to the Devons man, I'd just bought it today. The odd 3/ prefix number was bugging me. I knew I'd seen it somewhere before. I checked by old sales on Speedbid, and it's turned out to be the exact same medal I sold when I was living up near Bath 4 years ago. What are the chances that I'd accudentally buy it back 4 years later near Exeter????

Duncan.

The 3 prefix was often used for the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion - for men of the Special Reserve.

Your man would not have been issued the SWB in 1915 - it was not established until 1916.

Your man would not have been issued the SWB in 1915 - it was not established until 1916.

The War Badge had to be claimed it was not issued,unless a claim was put in for it,many men discharged prior to it institution therefore claimed it~it was heavily promoted throughout the land in Local Newspapers in 1916,with large illustrated 1/2 Column advertisements.

Though 3rd Battalions,were Reserve battalions & didnt serve en bloc Overseas,Many of the Men did,being experienced Soldiers they were posted to Regular,Service & TF Battalions for Overseas Service.