Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY

Guest Ian Topham

Guest Ian Topham

Can any one tell me:

1) If the Royal Horse Artillery had Territorial Units within its organisation in 1914?

2) If so, did those Territorial Units, if they existed, have particular titles or designations?

3) And where, were the Units located at the start of Aug 1914?

4) If those units exist, did they have hat badges or uniform embellishments other than that of the Royal Horse Artillery?

Many thanks for your help. :rolleyes:

Guest Hill 60

According to the book 'Military Badges of the Empire 1914-1918' the RHA:

"At the beginning of the War, the Territorial Force amounted to 12 batteries located in such areas as; Glamorgan, Hants, Lanark, Leicester, London, Notts, Shropshire, Warwickshire and the West Riding. These units had distinctive shoulder titles - such as T/RHA/GLAMORGAN - ."

Guest tintin

There was a battery for each Territorial Mounted Brigade.

They bore a county title eg:-

Warwickshire Battery RHA, TF

On duplication they would be 1/1st, 2/1st, 3/1st Warwickshire RHA

Territorial RHA batteries distinguished themselves in Palestine

I have n't a full list to hand, but there were batteries in Leicestershire, Dorsetshire, Essex and Ayrshire as well as the above. They were completely new organisations being set up with the TA in 1908. Service dress uniform was as regular RHA but with different metal shoulder titles. Full dress was as per regular RHA, but all yellow or gold appointments were white or silver. Some units could get permission to wear regular full dress, the county TA Association would have to apply to the War Office for permission for this.

Two batteries were supplied from the Honourable Artillery Company, a unique formation it is usually unwise to comment on as they are very touchy with selective memories. The HAC comprises both infantry and artillery and as the senior auxiliary military force they are affiliated to the RHA and the Grenadier Guards the senior regular forces of those arms.The batteries were known as "A" and "B" Batteries HAC.

The HAC batteries wore hussar dress in RHA colours with white and silver appointments. In service dress the cap badge was the RA Gun, but the motto is "Armis Pacis Fulcra" Arms - the mainstay of Peace. HAC Batteries had an officer producng role also for RFA and RHA Territorials, during the Great War an HAC Siege Battery was set up to do the same for the RGA.

The HAC can still turn out a small mounted party in this uniform

Guest tintin

Attached should be a picture of HAC RHA full dress, if you look at a picture of the Kings Troop RHA you will see the differences in cut of jacket and style of braiding

post-2-1057763404.jpg

• 4 years later...
Can any one tell me:

1) If the Royal Horse Artillery had Territorial Units within its organisation in 1914?

2) If so, did those Territorial Units, if they existed, have particular titles or designations?

3) And where, were the Units located at the start of Aug 1914?

4) If those units exist, did they have hat badges or uniform embellishments other than that of the Royal Horse Artillery?

Many thanks for your help. :rolleyes:

I see most of your questions have been answered but would like to add that the cap badges were the standard gun pattern but had the unit name above the gun wheel. In my grandfathers case West Riding.