Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Selection of on-line war diaries - UPDATED 25-09-09

shaymen

I'm on look out for the war diaries of 1st Battalion Rifle Brigade for the time between early September 1914 and end of October 1915. Thanks in advance for any help.

Some more War Diaries available

1st Bn Northumberland Fusiliers August 1914 to Sept 1916 (except Sept/Oct/Nov 1915 - ‘missing’ at NA)

16th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers June 1916 + 1st July 1916

7th Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers June/July 1915

Peter

Some more war diaries available:

9th Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry March to May 1918

15th London (Prince of Wales Own) Civil Service Rifles March/April 1915 - Sept 1916

20th London September - November 1915

PM or email me

John

I've got 1 West Yorkshire's for April, May, June & July 1918 if anyone wants them?

PM or email...Keep your forum tidy!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Glyn

If you are still doing look ups please can I ask you to look up Alexander RATHMELL, service No 4844.

He served in the army for 7 years, first in the 15th and then in the 8th Hussars and left in around 1911. He went into the reserves and re-joined as soon as war broke out. He was attached to the 1st Life Guards, went to the front in August 1914 and was killed on 1 Nov 1914.

I've checked the burnt records at Kew and found no service records, all I have is a copy of his WW1 medal card. I was wondering if he'd been awarded any medals when he first left the army.

Many thanks for reading this message.

regards

Alathea

<Snip>

The following Dairies available for lookups or will e-mail relevant pages to anyone who wants them - these are the ones available online at the NA at 3.50 a go.

Cost to forum members - NOWT.

Long Service and Good Conduct Medal register. Regiments: 1st-2nd Life Guards, Royal Horse Guards, 1st-7th Dragoon Guards, 1st-2nd Dragoons, 3rd-4th Hussars, 5th Lancers, 6th Dragoons, 7th-8th Hussa...

Regards

Glyn

Hi Glyn

If you are still doing look ups please can I ask you to look up Alexander RATHMELL, service No 4844.

Alathea

No mention I'm afraid. Not sure if your aware that this is not the 1st LG war diary I have only Long service/good conduct list.

I belive the 1st Life Guard diary is only available at Kew not online.

Glyn

Glyn, am wondering if you might be able to give me some help am fairly new to this research, am trying to piece together my G Grandfathers war history for my grand father as he doesnt really know very much about his father other than a few old photos. He served in the Scots greys and the The kings royal 8th Hussars i have his medal card which states he served in the 2nd Royal dragoons, corps of dragoons and the 1st royal dragoons would you have any info in your diaries about these. Do you know what the corps of dragoons was

Thanks

Steve

Glyn, am wondering if you might be able to give me some help am fairly new to this research, am trying to piece together my G Grandfathers war history for my grand father as he doesnt really know very much about his father other than a few old photos. He served in the Scots greys and the The kings royal 8th Hussars i have his medal card which states he served in the 2nd Royal dragoons, corps of dragoons and the 1st royal dragoons would you have any info in your diaries about these. Do you know what the corps of dragoons was

Thanks

Steve

Steve

Unfortunately I don't have any of these diaries.

Bit about dragoons on the main site

http://www.1914-1918.net/CAVALRY/dragoons.htm

Glyn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Glyn

Thank you for taking the time to look in the Long service/good conduct list for me, it was the medals I was interested in.

Kay :)

as regards to war diaries on documents online, do you know if they have any for RGA siege battery,135th or 4th.

regards sheila

Sheila

I've just checked "documents online" and there are no RGA units listed.

My understanding is that there are comparitively few RGA diaries surviving at all at Kew

John

Sheila

My understanding is that there are comparitively few RGA diaries surviving at all at Kew

John

[/quote

Thanks John for looking

regards sheila

• 1 month later...

Hi Glyn

Would it be possible to get a copy of the war diary for the east srreys of the 95 IB May 1917.

many thanks

TOM

Tom

No problem mate - drop us a PM with your e-mail and I'll get it off to you.

Glyn

Tom

No problem mate - drop us a PM with your e-mail and I'll get it off to you.

Glyn

Thanks Glyn Although not the btn I'm looking at (2 KOSB) the info i have got from the 1 btn east surrey war diary allowed me to cross ref and fill in blank spacesof the movements and locations of 13IB, very helpfull.

TOM

• 2 months later...

Julie

No problem

PM me your e-mail addy and I will forward you ALL I have on the 4th Bn Royal Fus. You can then have a leisurely read through them

Regards

Glyn

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

And some more recently downloaded from the NA. If you need a copy, please don't post here - just drop me a PM or email (including your own email address).

2nd Durham Light Infantry - Sept 1914

7th Durham Light Infantry - May 1915

12th Durham Light Infantry - JUn 1917

15th Durham Light Infantry - Oct 1918

18th Durham Light Infantry - Apr 1918

1st Honourable Artillery Company - Apr 1917

2nd Kings Royal Rifle Corps - Sept 1914

8th Kings Royal Rifle Corps - Sept 1917

12th Kings Royal Rifle Corps - Aug 1916

16th Kings Royal Rifle Corps - Dec 1917

2nd Middlesex - Mar 1918

3rd Middlesex - may 1915

12th Norfolk - Septe 1918

5th Northumberland Fusiliers - Nov 1916 & Oct 1917

2nd Ox & Bucks - Sept 1915

John

Sheila

John

[/quote

Thanks John for looking

regards sheila

[/quote

Try WO 95/543 4 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery - is this what you are after.

There are hordes of RGA diaries at Kew - but they do not pop up with some of the more obvious search words but put in Royal Garrison Artillery then you get many, type in 4 and you get the siege battery - but typing in siege did not produce any..........

For 135 references you will have to work out which Heavy Artillery Reserve or Brigade they were with and then search within those - there is separate correspondence on this, which I can't instantly recall

hope this helps

Alan

• 2 months later...

Glyn

Is it possible you may have something on 7th Battalion East Lancashire Regiment?

I am looking for info on my Grandfather Pte Herbert Martin 13785 earned himself a DCM in July 1916, he was wounded but not fatally and was sent home to England. He joined the MFP June/July 1917.

Thank you

Ellie

Ellie

Sorry nothing for the 7th East Lancs.

Might be worth putting a thread in Units and Formations and ask the question.

Good luck

Glyn

Hi Shaymen

Do you happen to have the war diary for the 7th Battalion East Surreys for May to December 1917? They were at the battle of Cambrai - my grandfather joined the Bn in June 1917 and was captured in Nov/Dec.

Many thanks

Phil

Glyn

Thank you for your help i'll try as you suggest.

Ellie