Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine Artillery in France

Chris_Baker

For the first time, my researches have taken me into the realms of the navy. Well, to be precise, the Royal Marine Artillery.

The chap I'm looking at was posted to France on 1 July 1916, and joined "No 11 How". I understand that was a gun rather than a battery.

Next visit to PRO I shall browse through the gun war diary, WO95/327.

In the meantime, can anyone advise me regarding ood websites or other sources on the RMA?

Chris.

In October- 1914 the RMA had been re-organised to provide two artillery brigades for the Western Front, One of these became an anti-aircraft unit, but the second was equipped with 12 heavy 15" howitzers to form the RM Howitzer Brigade. Rear Admiral Bacon, manager of the Coventry Ordnance Works, who supervised their construction and took them' into action was granted a Special commission in the Royal Marines. The Brigade totalled around 1,000 all ranks, but rarely fought as a unit. More often, the howitzers were deployed as single units along the front line.

Info from official RM Site - http://www.royalmarinesofficialsite.co.uk

There are two photos of the unit.

You probably already know, but just in case RMA VC award details can be found at: http://www.chapter-one.com/vc/unit.asp?unit=263

Dave

This may be of interest:

The guns were strange misfits, owing their existence to the private enterprise of the Coventry Ordnance Works, and their presence in Northern France to the First Lord of the Admiralty, Winston Churchill. The Coventry Works had designed and built the 9.2" howitzers which had first arrived in France in November 1914 and, after the success of this equipment, had, on their own initiative, decided to build something altogether bigger and more powerful. Thus was born the 15" BL Siege Howitzer. In order to gain acceptance within the military establishment, a Coventry Ordnance director, Admiral Bacon, exploited his connections with the Admiralty in order to effect an introduction to the Ordnance Board of the Army. Churchill, as was his wont, intervened. Spotting an opportunity for the Navy to get embroiled in the action on the Western Front, as well as sensing a good story for the press, Churchill manned the first gun with a team of Royal Marine artillerymen and sent them, post haste, to France. They would be followed by another eleven of the 10 ton 15 cwt behemoths. Churchill's enthusiasm for his Royal Marine Artillery soon waned and the twelve howitzers were turned over to the Army. When approached by the Director of Artillery for further information about these unwanted 'gifts' the Ordnance Board commented acidly "These equipments were obtained by the Navy in direct negotiation with the manufacturers, and the Board was not consulted. In view of the poor range achieved, it is felt that these weapons are a waste of money and material." The guns were left to roam Northern France like some dying family of dinosaurs. They were declared obsolete and scrapped as soon as possible at the end of the war.

Chris

Volume 2 of The Royal Marine Artillery 1804 - 1923, Edward Fraser and LG Carr- Laughton, RUSI 1934, covers their WW1 doings in some detail, but at a very big price.

As the previous co-respondents have pointed out, the 15" Hows were a COW design and had to be fitted with large, earth filled, counterweight boxes. Reginald Bacon became Managing Director of COW in 1909, after a successful and very innovative naval career. Under his direction the works also designed and manufactured the 4.5" Howitzer for the Army as well as 12" naval gun barrels and turrets. After his short stint with the RMA he became commander of the Dover Patrol.

Many of the COW buildings still stand today in Red Lane, including the No 1 Gun Shop where the large calibre pieces were manufactured. You may recall a tour around there about 3 or 4 years ago.

Terry Reeves

• 2 weeks later...