Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two regiments listed

doogal

Hi,

It's a basic question, but - I've been looking at an MIC, that has two regiments listed on it - both of the medals are noted as awarded via the second regiment.

Nothing unusual in this, but it prompted the question - would this soldier have served overseas at all in the first regiment, considering his medals are both awarded via the second regiment?

with thanks for any advice

regards

doogal

Possibly;Medals Should be named to the unit first served with,but as with most things it didnt always happen that way,hence medals to units that didnt serve O/S such as Huntingdonshire Cyclists,etc,plus errors were made in naming medals to later units rather than 1st unit,on Some or all Medals { I have a Trio to a Cambridgeshire Regt, Sergeant,Impressed on the Star "S.Staffs",though he served overseas with 1/1st Cambs.R; from 14.02.15 & didnt get posted to Staffs until 1916,His BWM & VM are correctly impressed "Camb.R."}

There is a difference in the Medals being issued from a Regiments Record Office & Being named to that Regiment,they should usually carry the Regiment first served with,wether or not he served overseas with them,but they would be issued from the Regiment last served with's Record Office

Hi Harry,

thanks for this - the soldier I am looking at began in the 22nd Durhams (Pioneers), then went into the Royal Engineers.

The 22 Durhams went into France in Summer 1916. If I took his DLI number at face value, it was about number 850 (I'm at work, so don't have the exact number to hand), I would think he would have gone over with them, especially as his RE number is a six digit number - though his medals are attributed to the RE numbering, which in itself has set me off on a bit of a search to find his unit

I've posted about this RE number in a different thread, so will leave that one for that thread.

thanks for the help

doogal