Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Gazette

Terry_Reeves

I've been on this site quite a few times and my hit rate has been about 50%. I tend to search by surname only, which gives a lot of download options and work my way through them (usually starting with the year I'm looking for).

I've had some success typing in a soldier's number, but again only about 50%. I've searched for some officers I know were awarded an MC or DSO and not got anything, but found others.

A good resource, but not working properly yet.

After a few attempts I was able to find my grandfathers record of his MC on the LG werbsite, but I caution you that I had to search under many variations of the first and last name and only found it when I went with last name and initiatls, not the full first name.

Now the real interesting part is that the record on the Gazette does not match the records here in Canada, they relate to another medal. Now I am really confused as I have an LG record from the war and an LG record in the archives that do not match.

I have sent a note to the LG asking for them to check the records and IF I ever hear anything I will be most surprised!

It's possible there are two LG dates - the first for announcing the award and a second for the citation.

The site seems completely down for the moment. Too many hits perhaps? Why does everyone else want to visit a site that I want to see?

Jan

A mate of mine is a programming/software engineer on the 1901 online census. I asked to him to try and persuade his superiors to do the same thing with the LG website (apart from the paying bit!)

Mind you I wouldn't mind paying a small fee if it works properly.

Tim.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ben Jones

I had real problems with this at first and almost gave up but now it seems to be working fine. There were problems with the reader I think.

• 4 months later...

And now some months later could we call upon one of the members who has used the LG web site with success to give us all a PRIMER on what to do and what NOT to do so that we can get the best out of this site?

I still have not discovered why the LG has a totally different record of my grandfather's medal record (Military Cross, Vimy Ridge) from that was is recorded here in Canada. I sent in a request last fall (2002) and I have never received a response. I guess they are too busy??

Got to admit, I don't know what I'm doing right, but I've never had a problem with the site. It's sometimes a little slow, but I can live with that.

Dave.

Not had a problem since Jock Bruce told me to put a period in after the guy's initial. Although I never seem to be able to find anything if I tick the medal box. Just putting the name in seems OK - - just don't try to find a J Smith.

John

A little tweak I came up with this weekend.

Was looking for an MC citation.

I could find the gazette of the actual award but the citation was published later and try as I might I couldn't find the guy by name (it wasn't a New Year or Birthday list).

Brainwave - tried the name above in the original notification, found the citation for that one and bingo! my man was the next citation. Looking at the page it was obvious that the quality of the original wasn't up to much and their text recognition program had read 'MacDonald' as something like 'MaoDc-ald'.

Jock Bruce