Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut. M. Halligan

Conor Dodd

Could anyone tell me was Lieut. Matthew Halligan RFC a pilot or ground crew and was he shot down or just killed in other circumstances ?

Conor

The London Gazette of 11-1-1917 carries this announcement:

ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

Mil. Wing.

The undermentioned appts. are made: —

Flying Officers.—

19th Dec. 1916.

Lt. M. Halligan, R. Dub. Fus., and to be secd. 20th Dec. 1916.

Which would suggest he was indeed a pilot (or air crew, at least)

I'm sure others round here will have more information.

Steve.

Could anyone tell me was Lieut. Matthew Halligan RFC a pilot or ground crew and was he shot down or just killed in other circumstances ?

Conor

I don't know if it helps, but "Officers Died..." show him as "Killed in Action".

Dave.

Conor

Airmen Died indicates that Lt Matthew Halligan (from Naas, Co Kildare and Aldershot, Hants) of No 1 Aeroplane Supply Depot RFC, formerly Royal Dublin Fusiliers, was accidentally killed while flying on 18 November 1917. He was aged 36 and was buried in Doullens No 1 Cemetery.

The type of aeroplane Lt Halligan was flying at the time of his death isn't identified.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

That is brilliant, will there be a record anywhere of the details of his death i.e. how he crashed or what happened.

Conor

• 14 years later...

Published in local County commemorative website

Air travel was practically non-existent at the time, although World War 1 used planes for the first time in warfare. A new military presence in County Kildare was that of the Royal Flying Corps at an aerodrome which was commissioned near the Curragh Camp in 1915. It was intended to be a temporary station for one Training Squadron (Day Bombing), and it remained in use until 1919. Canvas hangars were erected, and the station had an establishment of 332 personnel, who were accommodated in the camp. The 19th Training Squadron, which was equipped with 24 aircraft, was based at the Curragh from December 1917, and in October 1918 a new unit, the Irish Flying Instructors School, was established there. An early Kildare aviator who died while serving in the Royal Flying Corps was Lieut. Matthew Halligan;-

“It has been learned with much regret at Newbridge where his parents reside as well as at the Curragh and Naas that Lieut. Matthew Halligan, Royal Flying Corps, late of McElveen Terrace, Newbridge was killed in the recent advance. While flying over the German lines three British aeroplanes were engaged by German machines and after a short and sharp flight the plane in which Lieut. Halligan was flying was brought down by the enemy dropping a bomb and smashing the aeroplane. On being picked up Lieut. Halligan was removed to one of the Base Hospitals when it was found that he was suffering from a fracture of the base of the skull from which he died soon afterward. Lieut. Halligan, whose parents reside at Newbridge, was of very fine physique and a splendid type of Irish soldier, had been through the South African War with the Dublin’s having joined the regiment in Naas 19 years ago. Although he was through the several warm engagements in South Africa in which his regiment took part he escaped unwounded. He was afterwards a Colour Sergeant in the Naas Depot for a considerable time and while stationed at Kent when the opening of the present War came he accepted his commission as Lieutenant afterwards transferring to the Royal Flying Corps. Going to France some time after war was declared he returned to the Curragh where he was engaged as an officer instructor of the Royal Flying Corps. Some six months ago he went to England with the Corps and afterwards to France. Again returning to the Curragh Camp where he remained until a month ago he left there in charge of an aeroplane along with two other mechanics which had been at the Curragh for some time. It is said at the Curragh Camp that two out of the three machines which left there have been destroyed. Lieut. Halligan was very popular in the Co. Kildare and much sympathy left with his wife and child as well as with his parents, brothers and sisters.” Leinster Leader- 8 December, 1917

It is surely a credit to both the Leinster Leader and Kildare Observer that we can reproduce much of the material required for, in particular, this chapter. More and more stories abound in these newspapers and these few pages are just a small sample of available literature on the subject.

I found a newspaper report on his death. Description would back Dolphin's #4 post that he was killed in an accident rather than by enemy action.

halligan.jpg