Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Execution Post, Poperinge

Tom Morgan

Been away for the last week, so forgive me if this has already been noted......

Don't go to look at the execution post in the yard of the town hall at Poperinge for the time being - it isn't there, neither is the wall which stood behind it and neither, come to that, is the town hall courtyard!

There's major building work going on at the moment, with the courtyard paving having been removed and the post moved and the wall demolished.

No doubt they will put everything back in due course......

Tom

Hello,

I read somewhere that they will renovate the site...

Jan

If anyone who hasn't seen what we're talking about, Chris Baker kindly uploaded some photos I took onto this bit of our site, but they're well down the date llist by now I expect.

I hope they won't replace the wall and post with a Disney version?

Kerry

• 2 weeks later...

To Stevew,

Recently, I read that the subsidy (more than 45.000,- euro) is granted for the rearrangement of the garden of the Talbot house. So it will go on (I hope so).

The subsidy for the rearrangement of the execution post at the innerside of the townhall in Poperinge is also granted.

To Kerry,

I would also be very happy to see or to receive a scan of the mentioned photos of this site, as said in your communication.

Regards,

Gilbert Deraedt :huh:

The post is still around, leaning against the wall in one of the cells just inside the town hall yard. (The unrestored cell.) As mentioned by others, there are plans to reposition it outdoors, in the yard.

Tom