Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A.J. PEARSON 29th Sqd RFC

Guest ARTOISBATTLES

Guest ARTOISBATTLES

Can anybody give me an answer?

Arthur John Pearson is born in july 1887. After pilot training at upham, he returned to France to join 29th Sqd RFC at "Le Hameau" (south of Izel les Hameaux, 14 km west of Arras), in December 1916. After only a shared victory (with Lt Graham et Body 11th Sqd), against Max Bohme (Jasta 5) over Tilloy les Mofflaines, on march 4th; he was shot down in flame by Red Baron on March 9th 1917. This dogfight took place over Roclincourt and Bailleul sir Berthoult and the wreck was reporter 500 m behind the german line. Inside the book "under the guns of the red baron" (Norman Franck) We can read that Pearson's body was totally burnt and not recognisable. So he was buried in a unknown grave by germans soldiers. After the war his body was never found and he is commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the RFC-RNAS-RAF missing, inside Arras Faubourg d'Amiens Cemetery. So why not? But i'm French and I'm living very close to Arras. I know this part of western front very good and I like to go to Commonwealth war graves cemetery. This month I have found a british RFC grave at Beaumont communal Cemetery (registrated) with : A.J. PEARSON 29th Sqd RFC killed on March 9th 1917. Beaumont is only 10km north of the crash site. So, can you tell me if it's probably a mistake inside the book or if perhaps did exist a second A.J. PEARSON, killed at the same date ? Excuse me if my english is very bad!

ARTOISBATTLE

There is only 2Lt A J Pearson [No 29 Sqn RFC] listed in Airmen Died in the Great War, which says that he has no known grave and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial. The commemoration information probably came from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC), which also says that he has no known grave. The authors of Under the Guns of the Red Baron must have relied on the CWGC information as well.

If you have found 2Lt Pearson's grave, it appears that the CWGC records are mistaken. Hopefully, action can be taken to correct the records.

Gareth

• 3 months later...

Pearson is still listed on the Arras memorial.

As possible-I suggest that you send a certified copy of Death Record to:

Following is from CWGC Website:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx

Under heading: CONTACT US

FRANCE AREA

COMMONWEALTH WAR GRAVES COMMISSION

RUE ANGELE RICHARD

62217 Beaurains

France Tel: (03) 21 21 77 00

Fax: (03) 21 21 77 10

email: faoffice@cwgc.org Director: Mr Tim Reeves

PFF

As Artoisbattles has the information, and can verify what he/she has seen, it would be best for him/her, or someone else who has seen the grave in question, to notify the CWGC.

Regards

Gareth

• 7 years later...

Can anybody give me an answer?

Arthur John Pearson is born in july 1887. After pilot training at upham, he returned to France to join 29th Sqd RFC at "Le Hameau" (south of Izel les Hameaux, 14 km west of Arras), in December 1916. After only a shared victory (with Lt Graham et Body 11th Sqd), against Max Bohme (Jasta 5) over Tilloy les Mofflaines, on march 4th; he was shot down in flame by Red Baron on March 9th 1917. This dogfight took place over Roclincourt and Bailleul sir Berthoult and the wreck was reporter 500 m behind the german line. Inside the book "under the guns of the red baron" (Norman Franck) We can read that Pearson's body was totally burnt and not recognisable. So he was buried in a unknown grave by germans soldiers. After the war his body was never found and he is commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the RFC-RNAS-RAF missing, inside Arras Faubourg d'Amiens Cemetery. So why not? But i'm French and I'm living very close to Arras. I know this part of western front very good and I like to go to Commonwealth war graves cemetery. This month I have found a british RFC grave at Beaumont communal Cemetery (registrated) with : A.J. PEARSON 29th Sqd RFC killed on March 9th 1917. Beaumont is only 10km north of the crash site. So, can you tell me if it's probably a mistake inside the book or if perhaps did exist a second A.J. PEARSON, killed at the same date ? Excuse me if my english is very bad!

ARTOISBATTLE

This is very interesting, AJ Pearson is my wife's Great Uncle. We have some letters to his mother written while training and while in France, also one from his squadron after his death with details of the crash site. He transferred from the Machine Gun Corp to the RFC because he thought the MGC was too dangerous! He had an interesting life, he was involved in installing a Telephone Exchange in Peking in 1910 and doing similar work Durban and, we think, Australia before enlisting in 1914 in the MGC.

Regards

Julian Scott

• 11 months later...

He actually enlisted as a Pte in the Royal Fusiliers in September 1914. He was commissioned as 2/Lt in 8th (Reserve) Btn, Northamptonshire Rgt 27th March 1915. He was transferred to Machine Gun Corps 1916. He was awarded the Military Cross (gazetted 19th August 1916) in Battle of the Somme: “For conspicuous gallantry during operations. When held up by the enemy’s fire after an advance through heavy fire,he established himself in a shell hole and held on for five hours. He then withdrew, bringing back his gun and a wounded man.

• 2 years later...

I have visited the Beaumont communal Cemetery twice in the last 3 years and have been unable to find the grave that Aristobattles mentions. My wife, AJ Pearson's great niece, would very much like to visit the grave and, if possible, arrange a small service there. Could Aristobattles give more information on the exact location of the grave? And also confirm that I have been searching the right cemetery on the Boulevard Eugene Thomas (D39)?

Julian Scott

• 2 years later...

Hello Julian,

I have built a museum in Belgium and have just bought A J Pearson's MC. The medal will go in a display cabinet except when I take tours down to the Boars head.  Is it possible you could you let me have any more information for the display?  also would it be possible to see the letter from his squadron after he was killed?

Sorry if I seem a bit forward.

kindest regards

Barry 

www.bbcfm.be   

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone help me with information on A J Pearson (RFC).  I am writing the history of the Royal Latin School - Buckingham and A J Pearson was head boy there in 1903.  In the chapter on the WW! Roll of Honour I would like to feature Arthur Pearson as he was a distinguished old boy of the school plus having such an interesting and distinguished war record.  Any information of any photos would be very much appreciated.

The book is a non-commercial venture carried out on behalf of the Royal Latin School and aimed at Old Latins

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Edmund, my wife is A.J.Pearsons Great niece and we have a considerable amount of information about him. It would probably be easier to communicate directly, my email address is js@scotteng.co.uk

Julian Scott