Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tour de France Winners Killed in WW1

Hedley Malloch

Today the Tour de France starts from La Ferté-sous-Jarre en route for Sedan. This is its only contact with the Western Front. It is therefore a fitting day to remember the three Tour de France winners who lost their lives on the Western Front. They were:

Lucien Mazan known as the Petit-Breton, died 20 December 1917 at Troyes, the result of an accident at the Ardennes front. Winner 1907

Francoise Faber, died 9 May 1915, Pas-de-Calais. Winner 1908 and the Tour's first foreign winner.

Octave Lapize, French Air Force, shot down at Pont à Mousson, 14 July 1917. Winner 1909.

I think Faber still holds the record for the most consecutive stage wins (five)

Hedley there is a plaque to one of these men in the chapel at Notre Dame de Lorette pretty sure it's Faber.

No, I won't get a chance this year. Next year Lille is European City of Culture and Lille has not had a stage for some years, so I would fully expect to see it here next year. I was in La Ferté-sous-Jouarre last weekend; the place was beng done up for its big day and there was quite a party atmosphere.

For the Western Front/bike enthusiast there is only one race: the Paris - Roubaix, 'the Hell of the North', 120 miles much of it over pavé in prime Western Front country. Traditionally held in March/April it heralds the opening of the French bike race season. It's usually a good, hard, mud-soaked slog through the rain and in freezing weather; none of your effete messing around in the sun-drenched Pyrénées or Alps here.

Paul: I didn't know that; but of course, the dates fit French actions in that area. I wil go over and check it out. Thank you for that.

Go to the far end of the chapel to what I think is the altar area, look to the left of that, there it is.

Yes Hedley, the date does fit, that's why I said he is the man on the plaque, I do not actually remember the name.

On the wall to the right of the chapel about mid way is a most interesting memorial to a civilian woman.

You know something, the plaque I mentioned may be at the Rancourt Chapel instead.

Guest Simon Bull

This is off topic, but relates to the issues raised in recent postings.

I have often wondered how the persons commemorated in the chapel at Notre Dame de Lorette were chosen. To a causal eye the names referred to seem to be randomly chosen. Were they chosen by a Committee, or did families "buy" space?

Any information gratefully received.

Simon Bull

• 1 year later...