Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Let's hear it for the women

Sue Light

As it seems to be the quiz season - who is this European 'Royal,' working her aristocratic fingers to the bone in a British Military Hospital? She did it fairly seriously - this is not just a P.R. excercise!

Sue

• Admin

The Queen of the Belgians?????????????

Looks a little like Jenny Churchill (Winston's mother) but she wasnt a royal and besides I think Terry has the answer.

... and besides I think Terry has the answer.

No 'fraid not - I know we women wear well, but Queen Alexandra was born in 1844, so would have been 72 by the time this photo was taken.

This lady was a close friend of Queen Alexandra, a French princess by birth and a Queen by marriage... [but not of France...]

Sue

Was a Regiment named after her?

PAUL J

Was a Regiment named after her?

I'm trying to be imaginative with alternative spellings or pronounciations :unsure: but I really don't think so! I suppose there could be, in someone else's army... but I think I'll stick with a 'No'

Sue

Princesse Hélène d'ORLEANS ?

So near, but not Hélène - almost there.

She was widowed in the most dramatic manner, watching her husband and elder son die, while saving her own life and that of her younger son by lashing out with a parasol... or so the story goes

So near, but not Hélène - almost there.

She was widowed in the most dramatic manner, watching her husband and elder son die, while saving her own life and that of her younger son by lashing out with a parasol... or so the story goes

Marie Orleans?

Marina

2nd trial

Princess Amelie d'Orleans former queen of Portugal, sister of Hélène d'Orléans...

Princesse Amélie d'ORLEANS, Reine de PORTUGAL - née Twickenham 1865 - + Versailles 1951 - ep. Lisbonne 1886 Carlos, Roi de PORTUGAL (+ 1908)

Princesse Hélène d'ORLEANS - née Twickenham 1871 - + Castellamare di Stabia 1951 - ep. Kingston 1895 Prince Emanuelo Philiberto de SAVOIE, Duc d'AOSTE (+ 1931) puis Capodimonte 1936 Otto CAMPINI

queen Amélie with many photos:

http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb...;num=1111012013

http://www.regiments.org/biography/royals/1863carP.htm

Regards

Princess Amelie d'Orleans former queen of Portugal, sister of Hélène d'Orléans...

Princesse Amélie d'ORLEANS, Reine de PORTUGAL - née Twickenham 1865 - + Versailles 1951 - ep. Lisbonne 1886 Carlos, Roi de PORTUGAL (+ 1908) [/b

Absolutely - isn't it great this is an international list! Although Marina had the right answer I think - just a question of names in a different order.

Born Maria Amélia Louise Hélène on 28th September 1965, she was known as Princess Amélie of France, and later became Queen Amélie of Portugal. She had three children, but the middle one, a girl, died at birth. She and her youngest son Manuel survived the assassination attempt in Lisbon in 1908 that killed her husband and eldest son Luis. Manuel became King for two years, but in 1910 the family fled to London when Portugal became a Republic.

And after all that excitement she ended up on Wandsworth Common at No. 3 London General Hospital ‘doing her bit.’ This extract is part of an account of a visit by patients and staff of the hospital to a special concert at Buckingham Palace:

'The buses to convey us to the Palace arrived at 1 p.m., and long before the time appointed to start the men were all in their places - all except one, who was lost. There was great consternation over the lost one, and the only thing to do was to find another. In less time than it takes to tell, a Sister dashed back to her ward in C corridor to get a man ready; one Nurse cleaned his boots, while another polished his buttons, yet another found a clean kit, and long before the bus started he was seated calmly with the others, and I am sure His Majesty did not know that he had not taken all the morning to dress, like the other 129. At last we were ready, and the buses moved off amid great cheers and hand waving from those left behind.

Her Majesty Queen Amélie went with us as our probationer, and Sister Barrett and I had the honour of going with her in her car at the end of the procession.

After a long drive we reached the Palace. The buses all went in at the entrance for the Mews, but the men at the gate, seeing Queen Amélie in the car, wanted the chauffeur to drive round to the Palace entrance. However, Her Majesty eventually persuaded them to let us in, after repeatedly calling out 'I want to go with the men; I am a visitor and a probationer, and I want to go in with my patients,' and we reached the courtyard to find the men being helped down by members of the Red Cross, and very splendidly they did it.'

She outlived all her own family, dying in October 1951 at the age of 86.

A full life :)

Sue

Sue,

I had no idea of her identity but thanks for opening this fascinating window of WW1

Peter :D

It's been an extraordinary learning experience for me as well. I've had the WW1 photo of Queen Amelie for some time, and had picked up various other pieces of information about her as I've gone along, but after posting the initial question yesterday became very interested in all the details of her early life I found.

Although not WW1 related, the most surprising aspect for me personally was that her parents, Louis Philippe d'Orleans and the Infanta Maria Isabella were married at Kingston-upon-Thames; Amelie herself was born at York House, Twickenham, and also married in the town, and her son Manuel died in exile at Fulwell Park, Twickenham. I went to school in Twickenham, and all these places are within a couple of miles of where I was born and brought up - and where my mother still lives.

It all happened just a tad before my time, but did I ever hear mention of the Portuguese and French royal families? Did I ever wonder why so many roads, buildings, schools, carried the name 'Orleans' [and still do]? Did I ask who Isabella Plantation in Richmond Park was named after? Not a bit of it. Local history consisted of Henry VIII, R. D. Blackmore and Peg Woffington [don't ask!].

So thanks to whoever started the quizzes - I've already learned a lot, although not about the Great War!

Sue

:)

It's been an extraordinary learning experience for me as well.  I've had the WW1

So thanks to whoever started the quizzes - I've already learned a lot, although not about the Great War!

Sue

:)

Me too - but it#'s all background to the era, isn';t it?

Who's Peg Woffington? Sorry! Have to ask! :P

Marina

In the Royalty site given earlier it says, about Princess Amelie,

"She was quite an accomplished woman and actually had an MD (a real one not an honorary degree)". Since she was born in 1865, when and where did she become an MD (I presume this is Doctor of Medicine, and not something royal), and why would she have been a nurse rather than a doctor, in WW1?

"She was quite an accomplished woman and actually had an MD (a real one not an honorary degree)".  Since she was born in 1865, when and where did she become an MD (I presume this is Doctor of Medicine, and not something royal), and why would she have been a nurse rather than a doctor, in WW1?

Good point, Christine - didn't thing women could be doctors back then. Unless it was different in France.

Marina

"She was quite an accomplished woman and actually had an MD (a real one not an honorary degree)".  Since she was born in 1865, when and where did she become an MD (I presume this is Doctor of Medicine, and not something royal), and why would she have been a nurse rather than a doctor, in WW1?

Encarta gives 1868 as the year when France allowed women to become doctors, so theoretically, she could have been a doctor, but if she was, then surely she wouldn't have been working as a nurse. Are we sure MD is a medical title?

Marina

Encarta gives 1868 as the year when France allowed women to become doctors, so theoretically, she could have been a doctor, but if she was, then surely she wouldn't have been working as a nurse. Are we sure MD is a medical title?

Marina

Don't know if it helps, but the first woman doctor in England was Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, born 1836. See here:

http://womenshistory.about.com/library/bio...eth_garrett.htm

Hello

I was also very intersting and suprising by this story and the life

of this princess. Unusual at all.

Thanks Sue for this good posting. :)

Kind regards.

The 'MD' comment isn't referenced at all, so it would be interesting to know where it came from - presumably the writer can't mean that she actually had the letters after her name [in the medical sense] as they are not universally used even now, let alone a century and a half ago - I don't know about Europe. But she was married at the age of 21 and had a child the following year, so it seems a bit dubious. Perhaps it would be worth searching out one of the biographies of her to check - there will surely be one at the British Library.

And I've just read that she was 1.86 metres tall - no wonder she wielded that parasol with such vigour! An Amazon :o

Sue

6' 1" in Old measure. Now I could almost have seen eye to eye with her if she had worn high heels.

An interesting story.

Aye

Malcolm

Who's Peg Woffington?  Sorry! Have to ask!

Marina

Nearly forgot - this link is about her. As I come from Teddington I think she was considered an interesting local 'celebrity' for us to investigate in those days of innocence!

Peg Woffington

Sue