Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC/MIC differences

Guest nick_midson

Guest nick_midson

Hello

This is my first post so please bear with me if I am asking something which has been covered before!

I have been researching a Great Uncle (Walt Painton), a regular who joined the RFA before 1914, and found that his unit details from the Medal Record differ from that stated on the CWGC website. The MIC states he was in 15th Bde (attached to 5th Div I believe) but the CWGC have him as being part of 121st Bde (38th Div). Could anyone advise which source is more reliable? Or is it possible that both could be right and he served with both units?

For more information Uncle Walt died of wounds on 25/07/16 (according to the CWGC, the MIC has this date as being 26/07/16).

Thanks

Nick

Yes it's more than possible that this was the case.

My Great Grandfather Private Frank Smith G/5203 joined up in 1914 and went to France with the 8th Battalion the Buffs, part of the ill fated 24th Division on 31/08/15.

He remained with the 8th Battalion until the 18/08/16 when he was wounded.

He then spent a time in hospital before going onto the Labour Corps and there he helped to build the mines under Messines.

He then went back to the Buffs, this time with the 7th Battalion just before Passchendaele.

He was killed in action on the 21/03/18 at a town called Vendeuil on the first day of the Kaiser's Battle.

I hope this helps to give you an idea of what someone serving at that time went through.

Another thing to consider is that you went where you were needed, especially in the final phases of WWI as the casualty rate was so high. You might join up and train to be a North Staff but you could find yourself in the Buffs as I know happened with the 1st North Staffs and the 7th Buffs.