Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Minimum age for VADs

Simon Jones

I am researching a woman who says that she was rejected in 1914 or 1915 as being too young (she was possibly 25 but it's not clear). Does anyone know what the lower age limit was at this time?

Many thanks

Simon

• Admin

Hi Simon

Vera Brittain in Testament of Youth was interviewed in August 1915 and stated (erroneously) that she was 23 which she explains was the minimum age at which she could be accepted in an Army Hospital under the War Office. From what she also says, I assume that Red Cross and St Johns Ambulance were different.

Regards, Michelle

Michelle

thanks!

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Simon

Vera Brittain in Testament of Youth was interviewed in August 1915 and stated (erroneously) that she was 23 which she explains was the minimum age at which she could be accepted in an Army Hospital under the War Office.  From what she also says, I assume that Red Cross and St Johns Ambulance were different.

Regards, Michelle

The age requirement for VADs did vary. Check Elsie Corbett's _Red Cross in Serbia_ (1961) for some amusing antidotes on the matter.

At the Red Cross HQ in London, “when the secretary asked my age there was a ghastly moment. “Oh dear,” she said, “nobody under 23 is allowed to go to France.” My heart stood still. “But I’m not going to France,” I said. “Oh well,” she said, “I suppose Serbia is all right if they’ll take you.”” (xii).

Later, after she had been taken prsioner in Serbia and was waiting for repatriation, “I celebrated my 23rd birthday and became old enough to go as a VAD to a base hospital in France” (57-58).

Thanks Penny

Regards

Simon