Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Lincolns

jim_davies

Hoping someone might be able to tell me what the 1st Lincolns were up to on the above date.

G-g-uncle was wounded GSW right thigh on this date.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

On the 6th they took over trenches south of the Menin Rd near Hooge and from the 7th to the 16th were involved in fighting in Nonne Bosschen Wood.

Bob.

Jim

Here's some additional info

11th November 1914, 1st Lincolns were at Nonne Bosschen repelling the German attacks. It rained heavily that day and the trenches were partially flooded. On 12th November heavy enemy shell fire swept through their positions and the Lincolns lost 6 Killed, 23 wounded.

The 13th November saw a repetition of the previous days bombardment, including the battalions first experience of the minenwerfer. A burying part was at work and the CO was reading the burial service when the first of these fell a few yards away, lucky the soft ground absorbed most of the blast.

At 3pm that day, the Germans renewed their infantry attacks, but were repulsed by the Lincolns, again casualties were 6 Killed, 23 wounded. Heavy rain also fell during the day and the trenches became more waterlogged.

The battalion remained there (except of a withdrawal of 200 yards) until relieved on the night of 16th, when the moved to Hooge.

Hope this helps. The info came from the Lincolns history.

Geoff

Geoff,

This is really great stuff. The individual in question is the same lad as was wounded at Bellewaarde in Jun 1915 that you helped me out on.

Wondered (if its not pushing my luck) if you could check what the 6th batt were doing in mid Apr 1917.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim

6th Lincolns appear to have had a quiet time during the first quarter of

1917 here are the details

6th Lincolns, 33rd Bde, 11th Div. had ben out of the line during February and

March 1917. On 28th March the Bn moved to Orville, but it was not until 12th April that they returned to the line, marching across the old Somme battlefield

to Haplincourt, a ruined village 8 mils east of Bapaume. 11th Div was now attached to 1st ANZAC Corps. The Bn took over positions at Louveral, the defences consisted of a line of post in front of the village.

However there was little activity in the line and in less than a month the 11th Div was sent north to join 2nd Army.

Dont know if thats of any use to you. Let me know if there's any other Bn's

you want info on. Just out of interest this bloke that was wounded at Nonne Bosschen in 1914 and at Bellewaarde in 1915, did he survive.

Geoff

Geoff,

Thanks for the additional info. Unfortunately I messed up and in April he was with the 8th battalion.

The soldier in question is George William Boyall, 9226, 1st Lincolns, unfortunately, he was killed in action on 29 Sep 1918.

George married my great-great aunt in 1917. He seems to have been forgotten by the family (his wife married soon of the war). I have a copy of his service records, most of which are readable.

Below is a brief breakdown ofwhat I have:

Born: Stamford, Lincs-1890. family living in Ketton, Rutland in the 1901 Census.

Enlisted-Sept 1911, Lincolns. Signed up for 7years active/5 years reserve at Stamford.

Originally 3rd Batt, then 1st at Portsmouth.

To France, 13 Aug 1914.

Wounded in action 13/11/1914 GS Wounded R Thigh

Admitted HP Ship and transferred to England. 15/11/14

(On George's medical record) it shows him at St Bartholomew's Hospital, London, EC) however the wound is "bullet wound calf of leg"? Spent 23 days in hospital.

Posted to 3rd batt, mid Jan 1915, and returned to France and the 1st batt, 17/2/15.

Wounded 16/6/15, presumalby at Bellewarde Ridge. GSW Back.

Transferred to HP Ship for England, 18/6/15.

Not sure where he went to hospital at, but by Aug 1915 he was posted to the 3rd batt.

Oct 1915-appointed A/L/Clp

21 Jan 1916 embarked Folkestone for France.

22 Jan 1916 joined 21st Inf B Depot

7 Feb 1916 joined 8th Lincolns

4 Jul 1916-appointed A/Clp

19 Jul-Transferred A Co to B Co

1 Sep 1916-Attended Light TM Course

2 Dec 1916-rejoined batt

?-promoted Clp

14 Apr 1917-Trench Feet (this was received from "49 FA" ?)

The same day the 34 CCS and St John's ABN, Etaples also are shown on his B 103 Form showing "trench feet".

20 Apr 1917-to England.

The last page of his records are very poor quality & difficult to read.

Military Hospital at Colchester, then Romford (26 Apr-5 may 1917). Given 10 days leave when left hospital.

11 Jun 1917-joined 3rd batt.

17 Aug 1917-married Gertrude Jarvis at Pickworth Church, Pickworth, Rutland.

19 Dec 1917-Occupational Index Board-Not sure what this was-maybe to ascertain his fitness to continue serving ?

3 Apr 1918-To France (as a result of the need for replacements from the german Mar offensive).

3 Apr 1918 joined 8th batt.

5 Apr 1918 joined 1st batt.

Reported as reported missing 29/9/18.

At a latter point the entry reads "officially regarded as having died on 29/9/18.

George is commemorated on the Vis-En-Artois Memorial and also ketton, Rutland's parish memorial. The book "Rutland & the Great War" does briefly mention him on the page on Ketton, but gives the rank of "Sgt". No bio is shown.

The Lincolnshire Regt Museum, at the Museum of Lincolnshire Life in Lincoln have also been very helpful.

I'm returning to the UK in Nov and hope to find some info in the local newspaper archives, and maybe if I'm lucky a photo.

Please let me know if you have any info on where he might of served or if you you would like any additional information on George.

All the best,

Jim

Jim

I'll look up 8th Bn during April 17 over the weekend. I'll also

read up on 1st Bn around Sept 18 see if thats any help to you.

Geoff

Geoff,

Thanks again, a check for the 8th batt in April 1917 would be great.

A while back (before I had George's records) a pal provided me with the 1st batt's actions on the death of his death, but thanks for teh kind offer.

Have a great weekend.

Jim

Jim

Here goes with the info you wanted.

8th Lincolns April 1917

The Battalion advanced through Arras with 63rd Bde on 9th April and reached its assembly trenches by 11.30pm. The Brigade advanced at 3.35pm and was established in Battery Valley by 6pm, and at 7.35pm the 8th Lincolns and 8th Somersets with a section of machine guns were ordered to occupy Orange Hill, about 2000 yds north-west of Monchy. By midnight the Brigade was established on the northern half of the Hill. The Somersets were on the right with the Lincolns on the left.

Throughout the 10th attempts were made by 63rd Bde to take the German defences north west and north of Monchy. Heavy rifle and Mg fire from the network of trenches north of Monchy bought both attacks to a stand still. At 7.30pm the Brigade made a third attempt but were again stopped almost immediately and the Brigade consolidated along Lone CopAse Valley. On the 11pm April, 63rd Bde received order at 10.30am to advance to Infantry Hill and Bois des Aubepines east of Monchy. An order was issued, in the erroneous belief that the 15th Div had captured Keeling Copse-Pelves to the north of Infantry Hill, for 4th Middlesex and 8th Lincolns to enter Monchy. But again they came under heavy Mg fire and were hung up on the north western outskirts of the village.

At 2pm the CO of 8th Lincolns received orders to support an attack and consolidate Keeling Copse-Bois des Aubepines. The battalion made no move on 12th April and at 8pm the Battalion was withdrawn have suffered 9 officer and 240 OR casualties. The 8th Lincolns returned to Arras on the night of the 12th , to Duisans on 13th , and on to Beaufort on the 14th.

1st Lincolns end Sept 1918.

In operations on the extreme right at Gouzeaucourt, the 1st and 2nd Bns of the Lincolns were engaged as part of 62nd Bde, 21st Div. Both Bns remained in billets near Nurlu until 25th September, when the 62nd Bde moved up to relieve 50th Bde, 17th Div. The 1st Lincolns took over the right of the Bde line in the Gouzeaucourt section, the Northumberland Fusiliers were on the left with 2nd Lincolns in support in old trenches that ran across Fins Ridge.

In conjunction with a general attack north, 62nd Bde attacked the enemy’s trenches west of Gouzeaucourt

The Northumberland Fusiliers carried out the attack on African trench, which the 1st Lincolns supported with rifle and Lewis gun fire. The 2nd Lincolns moved C Company forward some 2000 yards to the valley in the rear of African Support.

At around 7am on the 28th September, the enemy was reported to have abandoned Gouzeaucourt and a patrol from the 1st Lincolns pushed through the village to the railway east of it, seventeen Germanys being captured. At 9pm that day warning orders were received to attack Gonnelieu at 3.30am on 29th. The 1st Lincolns were to attack on the right with 2nd Lincolns on the left.

The 1st Bn formed up just east of Gouzeaucourt along the Peiziere-Gouzeaucourt railway, the 2nd Bn assembled along the railway between Gouzeaucourt station and Quarry, A Company on the right D on the left, with B and C right and left respectively in the second line. It was 11.30 pm before the 1st Lincolns received their orders for the attack and the 2nd Bn received theirs so late that assembly in time for the attack at zero hour was impossible. The barrage was to fall on a line 1500 yds east of the assembly positions, which meant that the troops had some distance to go. In fact the 1st Lincolns left their assembly positions at 3am to catch the barrage up at 3.30am. As the 2nd Lincolns were not assembled before zero hour, two tanks which had been order to co-operate with them were ordered to operate on the left of the 1st Lincolns in place for the former. One tank broke down before zero hour.

The creeping barrage fell at 3.30am which the lincolns describe as a very bade barrage, for the Bn was almost immediately held up by violent MG fire. Elements of A and D Coy’s (the leading companies of the 1st Lincolns) succeeded in reaching their objective, but no attack was developing on either flank and they were under heavy MG fire making impossible to make good the objectives. After daylight all men, as could be, were withdrawn into Kemmel Support (about 400 yards east of Gouzeaucourt railway) and reorganised. At noon orders were received stating that due to the success of 2nd Div on the left and was working round the north of Gonnelieu. Consequently the 1st Lincolns were to pass through that Division for the purpose of encircling the village. But the situation on the left was found not as satisfactory as reported, and the Lincolns returned to Kemmel Support. The Bn had lost heavily during the days operations and was now temporarily reorganised A and C formed a single company, as did B and D.

Regards

Geoff

Jim

I think your moneys safe, on the other hand you never know.

By the way I forgot to mention that Boyall is listed in the roll of honour at the back of the history under 1st Bn with rank of Corporal

Geoff