Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Official Histories.

Tony Lund

you guys need to look around a bit more, the map volumes have been re printed as have the map/appendacies volumes, all by battery press

you guys need to look around a bit more, the map volumes have been re printed as have the map/appendacies volumes, all by battery press

Matthew,

Battery Press were mentioned and linked back on the first page, but have not reprinted all the British volumes (eg Ministry of Munitions; Occupation of the Rhineland; Medical Services other than statistics etc. etc.)

The thread has gone well beyond the commoner British Official Histories covering American documentation, Australian, German, French, New Zealand and Turkish, some of which are decidely difficult to find in any format and for this reason the thread repays reading in detail.

The 10 in 12 Ministry of Munitions Volumes were issued on microfish in the late 1970's, if I recall correctly 1978.

Re-skimming the thread:

I have explained in another thread the 4 official bodies of works by the Germans on the GW.

The US 4 volumes on Aviation are missing, which where the only real US OH's produced, who decided not to produce any because they thought that the GW was not producing any lessons for future wars.

A NZ volume is missing.

Occupation of the Rhineland first public edition was done in the 1987.

There are some other UK's missing, like the Naval Staff Histories, the works on Siberia and Northern Russia, etc ....

The Finnish Officials are missing, oh and forget the accolades given to the Australian as the best, the 6 Finnish Volumes produced in two languages after the GW are the most impressive OH productions covering the Great War, like modern books, large format, numerous photos and maps interlaced with the text, covering the political as well as the military decisions and excellent colour maps at the end.

Blah, Blah, Etc :mellow: :mellow:

Mart

By the way,

A COMPLETE set of "Der Weltkrieg," is up for sale on ebay.

clickity

Paul

• 4 months later...

For German stuff there is an excellent site, the owner of which provides many books, including regimental histories, and the like on CD. His website is here:

German 1. WW books on CD

Some very interesting stuff there, and at 5 euros a CD, a bargain.

I just lost out on a complete set of the Austrian Official history for 550 euros this weekend. I search for it a few times a month. I saw a set listed at ZVAB, sent in the order right there and then and got an e-mail back from the bookseller saying someone had purchased them just a few hours earlier! :angry:

Paul

This website has now moved to http://www.military-books.de.vu/

Martin

• 4 months later...

The Naval and Military Press in association with the Imperial War Museum have reproduced the Official History of the Ministry Of Munitions 1915 - 1919.

Vol 1: Industrial Mobilisation.

Vol 2: General Organisation for Munitions Supply.

Vol 3: Finance and Contracts.

Vol 4: The Supply and Control of Labour 1915 - 16.

Vol 5: Wages and Welfare.

Vol 6: Manpower and Dilution.

Vol 7: The Control of Materials.

Vol 8: Control of Industrial Capacity and Equipment.

Vol 9: Review of Munitions Supply.

Vol 10: The Supply of Munitions.

Vol 11: The Supply of Munitions.

Vol 12: The Supply of Munitions.

Volumes 4, 5, and 6, look reasonably interesting to me.

Tony.