Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Official Histories.

Tony Lund

So far we have a list of 3 volumes on Seaborne Trade with ISBN numbers, and a reference to 4 volumes on the Merchant Navy without any further details. We have the Canadian and Australian histories on line and the American on a remarkably cheap CD. There seems to be 3 volumes on medical services but it is not entirely clear what the tittles are, again ISBN numbers would help to cut through any confusion and will allow any of these books to be ordered.

We seem to have two from South Africa at the moment with John Buchan's "The South African forces in France" joining the “Campaign in German South West Africa 1914-1915”. But there is nothing at all on the Indian Army, although I suppose the Mesopotamia volumes will deal with them a lot. I would have thought somebody would have written an Official History of the Indian Army, they were on the western front in 1914 so there should be enough information to fill a book or two.

We have the tittles of volumes on Persia, the Occupation of the Rhineland and an unknown number of volumes relating to the activities of the Ministry of Munitions, once again ISBN numbers would help to cut through any confusion and will allow any of these books to be ordered. Any more tittles, details or ISBN numbers that can be added here will prove to very useful, just to know what is out there is an advantage.

There is already more than I expected.

Tony.

Tony,

You forgot the South East African campaign (volume 1 as published; volume 2 in a draft at the PRO (NA).

The Merchant Navy volumes do not have any ISBN - they predate ISBNs and have not been reprinted.

With the exception of the Medical Statistics the British Medical volumes will also lack ISBNs

The volumes are

Official Hisotry of the Great War: Medical Services Casualties & Medical statistics of the great war

Major T J Mitchell & Miss G M SMith

London HMSO 1931

Reprinted 1997

IWM ISBN 1-870423-28-3

Battery Press ISBN 0-89839-263-2

*Official History of the Great War: Medical Services; General History, Volume 1

London, HMSO, 1921

Medical services in the United Kingdom; in British garrisons overseas; and during operations against Tsingtau, in Togoland, the Cameroons and South-West Africa

*Official History of the Great War: Medical Services; Surgery of the War, Volumes1 & 2.

London, HMSO, 1922

The second volume contains a chapter on facial injury contributed by Gillies and Mendelson, illustrated with cases from Sidcup. The chapter has a bias towards the dental aspects with photographs of several splints and prostheses.

The Medical section of the Official History comprises the following:

General History (at least one volume ... )

Diseases Of The War (2 Vols),

Hygiene Of The War (2 Vols),

Surgery Of The War (2 Vols)

Pathology (1 Vol)

PLUS the volume on Medical Statistics

The Occupation of the Rhineland and Operations in Persia volumes were published by the HMSO/IWM in the 1990's

Regards,

Martin

On the veterinary service:

Blenkinsop LJ and Rainey JW. History of the Great War based on Official Documents: Veterinary Services, 1925.

Robert

History of the Great War ......

"The Occupation of the Rhineland 1918-1929*

Compiled by Brigadier General Sir James E Edmonds, C.B., C.M.G., D. Litt. (Oxon), R.E. (Retired), p.a.c.

HMSO 1987

ISBN 0-11-290454-8

(100 copies were printed for internal use" in 1944)

There is another volume published in 1961 called "The blockade of the central empires" by A C Bell which had originally been published on a restricted basis in 1937.

The History of The Ministry of Munitions apparently runs to 12 volumes (it must be fascinating reading....) and I believe that a draft of "The Occupation of Constantinople" was produced by Edmonds after the end of WW2 but I don't know whether it was ever published in any form.

I wonder if we might ask Chris to publish the full list (when we get all the detail added in) on "The Long Long Trail"

Martin

Following a tip about the British Library Integrated Catalogue from Tom Tulloch-Marshall, there are some more volumes to add. Especially from the medical series. There are also quite a few Orders of Battle included under the Official History of the Great War label, including one for Indian Army Divisions, the first and only mention of them so far. Plus a few unusual ones like a history of the Blockade of Germany. I will put them together with the rest in the next day or so. If there are any still missing they will be probably be Indian or South African, or so rare that only a handful of people know about them.

I like the fact that Corydon has its own Official History of the Great War.

Tony.

Does anyone have a complete list of all the Official Histories of the Great War?  A librarian at the local library has tried and failed to find one, and so have I.

Tony.

Tony, I'm pleased you asked this question, becuse it raises the issue of the purpose of our Forum.

The marvellous response has probably created, in a couple of days, as near complete a list as is possible.

We now have a duty to provide this knowledge to a wider audience, somehow.

Between the mothersite and the Forum, Chris and the Pals provide the world at large with a most comprehensive resource, and we should be proud of the knowledge we have and share.

Well done, folks.

Graeme

The Ottoman Turkish General Staff were preparing the following volumes in the early 1920's under the title of "A short History of Turkish Operations in the Great War

Volume 1 The Dardanelles Campaign

Volume 2 Caucasus & Persian Campaign

Volume 3 Campaign in Iraq & Persia

Volume 4 Campaign in Palestine & Syria

Volume 5 Campaign in Hejaz, Yemen & Asir

Volume 6 Campaigns on other fronts (Galicia, Roumania and Macedonia)

Volume 7 Miscellaneous and Supplementary Events (Thrace, Smyrna, Tripoli, Benghazi, and Naval Events)

I cannot confirm the publication of these with the exception of Volume 1

The Indian Corps in France. Lt Col Merewether and Sir Frederick Smith

I think this is an official history as such. Same red binding.

zoo

The Indian Corps in France. Lt Col Merewether and Sir Frederick Smith

I think this is an official history as such.  Same red binding.

zoo

This is more properly a unit/corps history and not an official history of the war as such.

It is interesting as it was written during the war and was, until very recently, they only volume on the subject.

Martin

I have just been to collect a book I ordered from the library a little while ago. I ordered it before we started this list so I had no ISBN number or any other reference. I ordered Military Operations France and Belgium 1916 Volume 2, and it was not until I got home that I realised that the inter-library loan service had sent me Military Operations France and Belgium 1917 Volume 2. In my case this is a book which I was going to order in a month or two away, so it is not really a problem, I will just have to reorder 1916 Volume 2. But it is a timely reminder to include with these tittles any available ISBN numbers or any other available references.

I expect the full list to be ready by Saturday.

Tony.

Tony,

Don't forget that the Battery Press/IWM reprints have two ISBN numbers- an american one for battery press and a british one for the IWM. The only difference is the publishers name embossed on the spine.

Martin

THE UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA AND THE GREAT WAR, 1914-1918

First published in 1924 by the Army General Staff as an official history for South Africa's participation in WWI, this account covers all of the South African campaigns. Includes detailed accounts of the campaigns in German South-West Africa, the two phases of the German East African Campaign, the South African infantry brigade in Egypt, and the SA forces in France. Incl appendices listing VC recipients and casualties.

Now in reprint and available through Helion.

Roop

Tony,

If you can hold of for a day or two I should be able to find the Persia volume !SBN and one of two other bits of info.

Martin

Operations in Persia 1914-1919

Brig Gen F J Moberly

London, HMSO 1987

ISBN

Originally produced in 1919 in a print run of 500. 150 marked "secret" and sent to the Indian Government. Of the rest (marked confidential) 50 were bound and distributed to key institutions including some libraries such as the IWM. The 300 unbound copies were destroyed a year or two later.

Colour sketch maps are included and there are a handful of coloured folding maps in a rear pocket.

Martin

Canadian Official History

The Canadian Official History is available as an Adobe download above.

Neil

In addition to the Nicholson history Neil mentioned, there is also the original Official History written by Col. A.F. Duguid which was to be a multi-volume work. The first volume with an accompanying appendices volume was not published until 1938 and subsequently the project was abandoned. The volume covered August 1914 - September 1915. The large scale maps covering the second Battle of Ypres are particularily useful.

It can be purchased from the Archive CD Books Project, link.

Thank you for that, I am at this moment trying to sort out the Canadian Official History.

Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919. Volume 1. From the outbreak of war to the formation of the Canadian Corps. August 1914-September 1915. 1938.

Canadian Expeditionary Force 1914 - 1919. By Colonel G W L Nicholson. Ottowa 1964.

Now I know why I can’t find volume 2, thanks,

Tony.

Official History Volumes from Britain and English speaking Allies.

It is not possible to guarantee that all the tittles given in the list which is shortly to follow, are correct in every detail, but hopefully there is enough detail to identify the volumes correctly. Any additions or corrections will be gratefully accepted. This tread already contains information on the French Official History, and other nations have also been mentioned. It would be foolish of me to touch anything in a language I do not speak, so I have stuck to English only. The French list can be found on this tread by anyone who needs it. I hope all the ISBN numbers that are given are correct, time will tell.

Tony.

Official History Volumes from Britain, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and the United States.

Western Front.

The History of the Great War based on official documents by direction of the Historical Section of the Committee of Imperial Defence:

Military Operations:-

France and Belgium 1914 Volume 1. Mons, Le Cateau, , Aisne. Brigadier Sir James E. Edmonds. ISBN: 0-89839-233-0

France and Belgium 1914 Volume 2. Armentières, Ypres. Brigadier Sir James E. Edmonds. ISBN: 0-89839-232-2

France and Belgium 1915 Volume 1. Neuve Chapelle, Ypres. Brigadier Sir James E. Edmonds. ISBN: 0-89839-218-7

France and Belgium 1915 Volume 2. Aubers, Festubert, Loos. Brigadier Sir James E. Edmonds. ISBN: 0-89839-245-4

France and Belgium 1916 Volume 1. Up to 1st July. Brigadier Sir James E. Edmonds. ISBN: 0-89839-185-7

France and Belgium 1916 Volume 1. Appendices, Brigadier Sir James E. Edmonds ISBN: 0-89839-226-8

France and Belgium 1916 Volume 2. From 2 July. Captain Wilfrid Miles. ISBN: 0-89839-169-5

France and Belgium 1916 Volume 2. Maps, and Appendices. Captain Wilfrid Miles ISBN: 0-89839-207-1

France and Belgium 1917 Volume 1. Captain Cyril Falls. Hindenburg Line, Arras. ISBN: 0-89839-180-6

France and Belgium 1917 Volume 1. Appendices. Captain Cyril Falls

ISBN: 0-89839-202-0

France and Belgium 1917 Volume 2. Messines, Third Ypres. Brigadier Sir James E. Edmonds. ISBN: 0-89839-166-0

France and Belgium 1917 Volume 3. Battle of Cambrai. Captain Wilfrid Miles.

432 pages. ISBN: 0-89839-162-8

France and Belgium 1918 Volume 1. German offensive. Brigadier Sir James E. Edmonds. ISBN: 0-89839-219-5

France and Belgium 1918 Volume 1. Appendices. Brigadier Sir James E. Edmonds ISBN: 0-89839-204-7

France and Belgium 1918 Volume 2. German offensive. Brigadier Sir James E. Edmonds. ISBN: 0-89839-223-3

France and Belgium 1918 Volume 3. May-July. Brigadier Sir James E. Edmonds. ISBN: 0-89839-211-X

France and Belgium 1918 Volume 4. 8 August - 26 September. Brigadier Sir James E. Edmonds. ISBN: 0-89839-191-1

France and Belgium 1918 Volume 5. 26 Sep. - 11 November. Brigadier Sir James E. Edmonds. ISBN: 0-89839-192-X

Principal Events 1914-1918. Major H. T. Skinner and Captain H. Fitz Stacke. London, 1922. (This may be two volumes,)

Transportation on the Western Front, 1914-1918, by Major Alan Henniker London, 1937.

The occupation of the Rhineland : 1918-1929 by Sir James Edward Edmonds, Publisher H.M.S.O., London 1987.

Order of Battle of Divisions during the European War, 1914-1918. by Major A. F. Becke. London, 1935.

Reprinted:

Order of Battle of Divisions, part 1, The regular British Divisions. by Major A. F. Becke. Publisher Ray Westlake - Military Books, 1989.

Order of Battle of Divisions, Part 2A. The Territorial Force Mounted Divisions and The 1st - Line Territorial Force Divisions (42-56). by Major A. F. Becke. Publisher Ray Westlake - Military Books, 1989.

Order of Battle of Divisions, Part 2B. The 2nd-line Territorial Force Divisions, (57th-69th), with the Home-Service Divisions (71st-73rd), and 74th and 75th Divisions. by Major A. F. Becke. Publisher Ray Westlake - Military Books, 1988.

Order of battle of Divisions. Part 3A, New Army Divisions (9-26). New Army Divisions (9-26). by Major A. F. Becke. Publisher Ray Westlake - Military Books, 1989.

Order of battle of Divisions. Part 3B. New Army Divisions (30-41 and 63rd (R.N.) Division. by Major A. F. Becke. Publisher Ray Westlake - Military Books, 1989.

Order of Battle of Divisions, Part 4, The Army Council, G.H.Q.s, Armies, and Corps 1914-1918, by Major A. F. Becke. Publisher Ray Westlake - Military Books, 1990.

Order of Battle of Divisions. Part 5A, Divisions of Australia, Canada and New Zealand and those in East Africa. by F. W. Perry. Publisher. R. Westlake, 1992.

Order of Battle of Divisions. Part 5B, Indian army divisions, by F. W. Perry. Publisher Ray Westlake - Military Books, 1993. ISBN 187116723X

Other Theatres.

Military operations Gallipoli Volume1, Inception of the campaign to May 1915. by C.F. Aspinall-Oglander. Publisher Imperial War Museum, in association with The Battery Press, Nashville, 1992.

Military operations Gallipoli Volume 2, May 1915 to the evacuation. by C.F. Aspinall-Oglander. Publisher Imperial War Museum, in association with The Battery Press, Nashville, 1992. Originally published: London : Heinemann, 1929 (vol.1), 1932 (vol.2)

Operations in Persia, 1914-1919 by Frederick James Moberly. Publisher. H. M. Government. London, 1929.

Military Operations, Macedonia, Volume 1. Outbreak of War to Spring 1917. By Captain Cyril Falls. ISBN: 0-89839-242-X

Military Operations, Macedonia, Volume 2. Spring of 1917 to the end of the War. by Captain Cyril Falls. ISBN: 0-89839-243-8

The Campaign in Mesopotamia, Volume 1. By Brigadier F. J. Moberly. ISBN: 0-89839-268-3

The Campaign in Mesopotamia, Volume 2. By Brigadier F. J. Moberly. ISBN: 0-89839-269-1

The Campaign in Mesopotamia, Volume 3. By Brigadier F. J. Moberly. ISBN: 0-89839-289-6

The Campaign in Mesopotamia, Volume 4. By Brigadier F. J. Moberly. ISBN: 0-89839-290-X

Military Operations, Togoland and the Cameroons, by Brigadier F. J. Moberly. ISBN: 0-89839-235-7

Military Operations, Egypt and Palestine, Volume I, by General George MacMunn and Captain Cyril Falls. ISBN: 0-89839-241-1

Military Operations, Egypt and Palestine, Volume 2 Part 1. From the outbreak of the war to June 1917. By Sir George MacMunn and Cyril Falls ISBN: 0-89839-241-1

Military Operations, Egypt and Palestine, Volume 2 Part 2, by Cyril Falls. ISBN: 0-89839-240-3

Military Operations, Italy 1915-1919, by Brigadier Sir James E. Edmonds and Maj Gen H. R. Davies. ISBN: 0-89839-165-2

Military Operations in East Africa. by Charles Hordern, London, 1941.

Medical and Veterinary Services.

Medical Services. General History. (At least 3 volumes) By William Grant Macpherson. 1921

Medical Services. Diseases of the War. By William Grant Macpherson. 1922

Medical Services. Surgery of the War. By William Grant Macpherson. 1922

Medical Services. Hygiene of the War. By William Grant Macpherson. 1923

Medical Services. Pathology. By William Grant Macpherson. 1923

Medical Services: Casualties and Medical Statistics of the Great War. By John Thomas Mitchell, 1931

Veterinary Services. by Sir L. J. Blenkinsop and J. W. Rainey. HMSO. London, 1925.

Naval Operations.

Reprinted by The Imperial War Museum Department of Printed Books in association with The Battery Press, 1997.

Naval Operations, Volume 1. To the battle of the Falklands, December 1914. Sir Julian Corbett. ISBN: 0-89839-256-X

Naval Operations, Volume 2, From the Falklands to May 1915. By Sir Julian Corbett. ISBN: 0-89839-257-8

Naval Operations, Volume 3, (Revised 1940 edition for Jutland). By Sir Julian Corbett. ISBN: 0-89839-231-4

Naval Operations, Volume 4, June 1916 to April 1917. By Henry Newbolt. ISBN: 0-89839-254-3

Naval Operations, Volume 5, April 1917 to November 1918. By Henry Newbolt. ISBN: 0-89839-255-1

Seaborne Trade.

Seaborne Trade. by C. Ernest Fayle 3 volumes. John Murray: London, 1920-24.

Reprinted: Publisher: Imperial War Museum in association with Battery Press, 1997,

Seaborne trade. Volume 1. The cruiser period. by C. Ernest Fayle ISBN: 0-89839-270-5

Seaborne trade. by C. Ernest Fayle. Vol. 2, From the opening of the submarine campaign to the appointment of the shipping controller. (with maps in separate volume.) ISBN: 0-89839-271-3

Seaborne trade. Volume 3. The period of unrestricted submarine warfare. by C. Ernest Fayle. ISBN: 0-89839-272-1

Seaborne Trade, Maps. 12 maps. (Presumably the maps referred to in association with volume 2.) Also Battery Press.

Merchant Navy.

Sir Archibald Spicer Hurd, The Merchant Navy. (With maps and illustrations) London, 1921,

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

Volume 4

A History of the Blockade of Germany and of the Countries associated with her in the Great War: Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria, and Turkey. 1914-1918. By Archibald Colquhoun Bell. London, 1937.

There is also a History of the Ministry of Munitions, believed to be in 12 volumes.

War in the Air.

War in the Air. Being the Story of the part played in the Great War by the Royal Air Force. Volume 1. Sir Walter Raleigh, The early days of the RFC and RNAS and the first months of the war. ISBN: 0-89839-284-5

War in the Air. Being the Story of the part played in the Great War by the Royal Air Force. Volume 2. H.A Jones The air operations of the 1915 Gallipoli campaign; of the Western Front in 1915/1916; and of naval air operations.

ISBN: 0-89839-293-4

War in the Air. Being the Story of the part played in the Great War by the Royal Air Force. Volume 3. H.A Jones Covers air operations in German East- and South-West Africa; air raids on Britain in 1914-16; and over the western front in the winter of 1916/17 and during the 1917 battle of Arras. ISBN: 0-89839-292-6

War in the Air. Being the Story of the part played in the Great War by the Royal Air Force. Volume 4. H.A Jones Covers naval air operations in 1917 and early 1918; and over the western front from the battle of Messines in June 1917 down to the German Spring offensives in 1918. ISBN: 0-89839-287-X

War in the Air. Being the Story of the part played in the Great War by the Royal Air Force. Volume 5. H.A Jones The story of German air attacks on Britain in 1917-1918 and the measures taken to meet them. ISBN: 0-89839-283-7

War in the Air. Being the Story of the part played in the Great War by the Royal Air Force. Volume 6. H.A Jones This covers operations in the Middle East, Balkans and India, the creation of the RAF in April 1918 and the western front in 1918 down to the Armistice ISBN: 0-89839-282-9

War in the Air. (Appendices). Being the story of the part played in the Great War by the Royal Air Force H.A. Jones Consists of appendices with factual information and statistics. ISBN: 0-89839-277-2

Maps.

Military Operations France and Belgium: 1914-1918 Maps on CD Rom. Naval & Military Press

Military Operations Other Theatres: 1914-1918 Maps on CD Rom. Naval & Military Press

Australia.

All the volumes listed below are available on line at the Australian War Memorial’s website, although Volume 12 of the series ('Photographic Record of the War'), is not included in the main section as all the original images it contains were already available on-line when this project began.

Volume 1 - The Story of Anzac: the first phase (11th edition, 1941)

Volume 2 - The Story of Anzac: from 4 May, 1915 to the evacuation (11th edition, 1941)

Volume 3 - The Australian Imperial Force in France: 1916 (12th edition, 1941)

Volume 4 - The Australian Imperial Force in France: 1917 (11th edition, 1941)

Volume 5 - The Australian Imperial Force in France: December 1917 - May 1918 (8th edition, 1941)

Volume 6 - The Australian Imperial Force in France: May 1918 - the Armistice (1st edition, 1942)

Volume 7 - The Australian Imperial Force in Sinai and Palestine: 1914 - 1918 (10th edition, 1941)

Volume 8 - The Australian Flying Corps: 1914 - 1918 (11th edition, 1941)

Volume 9 - The Royal Australian Navy: 1914 - 1918 (9th edition, 1941)

Volume 10 - The Australians at Rabaul (10th edition, 1941)

Volume 11 - Australia during the War (7th edition, 1941)

Volume 12 Photographic Record of the War.

Volume 1- The Australian Army Medical Services: The Gallipoli Campaign (2nd edition, 1938)

Volume 2- The Australian Army Medical Services: The Western Front (1940)

Volume 3 - The Australian Army Medical Services (1943) Anzac to Amiens Gallipoli Mission

Canada.

Canadian Expeditionary Force 1914 - 1919. By Colonel G W L Nicholson. Ottowa 1964.

The above is online at the Library and Archives of Canada website.

Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War, 1914-1919. Volume 1. From the outbreak of war to the formation of the Canadian Corps. August 1914-September 1915. by Colonel Duguid. With accompanying volume of appendices. 1938.

The above volume is also published as:

Official History of the Canadian Forces in The Great War. With accompanying volume of appendices. Published on CD by Archive CD Books Canada Inc.

New Zealand.

The Official history of New Zealand's effort in the Great War. Volume 1. The New Zealanders at Gallipoli by Fred Waite. Auckland N. Z. Whitcombe and Tombs, 1919.

Official History of New Zealand’s effort in the Great War. Volume 2. The New Zealand Division, 1916-1919. By Hugh Stewart, Auckland. Whitcombe and Tombs, 1921.

Official History of New Zealand’s effort in the Great War. Volume 3. The New Zealanders in Sinai and Palestine. By Charles Guy Powles, Auckland . Whitcombe and Tombs, 1922.

Official History of New Zealand’s effort in the Great War. Volume 4. minor campaigns in which New Zealanders took part: services not fully dealt with in the campaign volumes: the work at the bases. By H T B Drew, Auckland. Whitcombe & Tombs, 1923.

Official History of New Zealand’s effort in the Great War. Volume 5. New Zealand Expeditionary Force. Roll of Honour. Contains the names of those members of the N.Z.E.F. who gave their lives in the Great War, 1914-1918. Wellington, N. Z. 1924.

Official history of the New Zealand Engineers during the Great War, 1914-1919 : A record of the work carried out during the operations in Samoa (1914-15); Egypt, Gallipoli, Sinai and Palestine (1914-1918); France, Belgium and Germany (1916-1919) and Mesopotamia (1916-1918. by Norman Annabell, Wanganui. Evans, Cobb & Sharpe, 1927.

The New Zealand Medical Service in the Great War 1914-1918. By Andrew Robert Dillon Carbery, Auckland : Whitcombe & Tombs, 1924.

South Africa.

The Union of South Africa and the Great War, 1914-1918. Official history. Pretoria, 1924.

The Campaign in German South West Africa 1914-1915. Official South African History. by Brigadier J.J. Collyer. ISBN: 0-89839-273-X

United States.

United States Army in World War 1 (2001) (CD-ROM): Includes: Learning Lessons in the American Expeditionary Forces, by Kenneth E. Hamburger, an analytical overview essay; United States Army in the World War, 1917-1919, volumes 1-17 of original documents originally compiled in 1919; Order of Battle of the United States Land Forces in the World War, V. 1-5 (also a reprint); American Armies and Battlefields in Europe, an extended guide to the battlefields of World War 1 first published in 1938; and Army Art of World War 1, 16 prints by Army artists, and the Guide to the Print Set. Published by the US Government Printing Office.

I had to edit this, I made a few mistakes.

A great source on officials is Robin Higham's Official Histories; Essays and Bibliographies from around the World 1970. He published two further volumes adding to the first, Official Military Historical Offices and Sources 2000. These are essential bibliographies on published official histories. Extensive, but these works are incomplete. Higham was limited by the information he received from the various historical offices.

The following is a list of the Turkish officials covering the war. Some of these volumes have been reprinted by the Genelkurmay.

Birinci Dünya Harbi'nde Turk harbi Osmanli Imparatorlugunun siyasi ve askeri hazirliklari ve harbe girisi Inci Cilt.. Ankara 1970 (The First World War, The Political and Military Preparations of the Ottoman Empire and its entrance into the War Volume 1)

Birinci Dünya Harbinde Türk Harbi. Kafkas Cephesi. 3ncu Ordu Harekati. Cilt II. Birinci Kitap. Ankara: Genelkurmay Basimevi 1993 [second edition](The Caucasian Front, the 3rd Army Operations. Volume 2, 1st Book)

Birinci Dünya Harbinde Türk Harbi. Kafkas Cephesi. 3ncu Ordu Harekati. Cilt II. Ikinci Kitap. Ankara: Genelkurmay Basimevi 1993 [second edition](The Caucasian Front, the 3rd Army Operations. Volume 2, 2nd Book)

Birinci Dünya Harbi'nde Turk harbi: Kafkas Cephesi, 2nci Ordu Harekâti 1916-1918 II Cilt 2nci Kisim.. Ankara 1979 (The Caucasian Front, the 2nd Army Operations. Volume 2, 2nd Part)

Birinci Dünya Harbi'nde Turk harbi Irak-Iran Cephesi. 1914-1918 IIIncu Cilt 1nci Kisim.. Ankara 1979 (Iraqi-Iran Front. Volume 3, 1st Part)

Birinci Dünya Harbi'nde Turk harbi Irak-Iran Cephesi. 1914-1918 IIIncu Cilt 2nci Kisim.. Ankara: 1979 (Iraqi-Iran Front. Volume 3, 2nd Part)

Birinci Dünya Harbi'nde Turk harbi. Sina - Filistin cephesi, Harbin Başlangicindan İkinci Gazze Muharebeleri Sonuna Kadar. IVncu Cilt 1nci Kisim. Ankara 1979. (Sinai-Palestine Front from the beginning of the war to the end of the 2nd Gaza Battle) Volume 4, 1st Part)

Birinci Dünya Harbi'nde Turk harbi. Sina - Filistin CephesiIkinci Gazze Muharebesi sonundan Mondros Mutarekesi'ne kadar yapilan harekat (21 Nisan 1917 - 30 Ekim 1918) IVncu Cilt 2nci Kisim.. Ankara: 1986. (Sinai-Palestine Front from the end of 2nd Gaza Battle to the Mundros Armistice Volume 4, 2nd Part)

Birinci Dünya Harbinde Türk Harbi Çanakkale Cephesi (Haziran 1914-25 Nisan 1915) Vncu Cilt 1nci Kitap. Ankara: Genelkurmay Basimevi 1993 (The Dardanelle Front June 1914 to April 1915 Volume 5, 1st Book)

Birinci Dünya Harbi'nde Turk harbi Çanakkale Cephesi, Amfibi Harekât Vncu Cilt 2nci Kitap. Ankara 1978 (The Dardanelle Front the amphibious operations Volume 5, 2nd Book)

Birinci Dünya Harbi'nde Turk harbi Çanakkale Cephesi Harekâti (Harziran 1915 – Ocak 1916) Vncu Cilt 3ncü Kitap. Ankara 1980 (The Dardanelle Front Operations June 1915-January 1916 Volume 5, 3rd Book)

Birinci Dünya Harbinde Türk Harbi Vncu Cilt Çanakkale Cephesi Harekati 1nci, 2nci, ve 2ncu Kitaplarin Ozetlenmis Tarihi (Haziran 1914-9 Ocak 1916). Ankara: 1996 (The Dardanelle Front Operations a historical summary of all three books June 1914 to January 1916)

Birinci Dünya Harbi’nde Türk Harbi Hicaz-Yemen-Asir Cepheleri ve Libya Harekâti VIncu Cilt. Ankara: 1978 (The Hejaz, Yemen, and Libyan Fronts Volume 6)

Birinci Dünya Harbi'nde Turk harbi Avrupa Cepheleri, Galicya Cephesi, VIIncu 1nci Kisam. Ankara 1967 (The European Front, Galicia Volume 7, 1st Part)

Birinci Dünya Harbi'nde Turk harbi Avrupa Cepheleri, Romanya Cephesi, VIIncu 2nci Kisam. Ankara 1967 (The European Front, Romania Volume 7, 2nd Part)

Birinci Dünya Harbi'nde Turk harbi Avrupa Cepheleri, Makedonya Cephesi, VIIncu 3ncü Kisam. Ankara 1964 (The European Front, Macedonia Volume 7, 3rd Part)

Birinci Dünya Harbi’nde Türk Harbi Avrupa cepheleri (Ozet). Ankara: 1996 (The European Front Summary)

Birinci Dünya Harbi. Turk Deniz Harekâti VIIInci Cilt. Ankara: 1976 (The Naval Operations Volume 8)

Birinci Dünya Harbi. Turk hava harekati IXnci Cilt. Ankara: 1969 (The Air Operations Volume 9)

Birinci Dünya Harbi. Idari Faaliyetler ve Lojistik Xnci Cilt. Ankara: 1985 (Administrative Activities and Logistics Volume 10)

Jeff

Yes, you are all doing a wonderful service, very useful it will be.

Regarding Tony's almost final listing, make I make a small plea on behalf of historians ... please add date(s) of publication, preferably the original one, with note of any reprint.

I see that this has been done by some compilers but I hope it figures in the final list.

thanks

lian

Tony,

The 3 (three) volume set "The Merchant Navy" by Archibald Hurd, with maps & illustrations, has been reprinted by Naval & Military Press Ltd in conjunction with the IWM and is currently available. The volumes are referenced IWM 18, 19 & 20.

There is another IWM/NMP publication, which, while not official, is very close to it, "The German Submarine War" by R.H. Gibson and Maurice Prendergast. It carries the refence IWM 17.

Best wishes

David

Tony, there was also a Canadian Medical History written by Sir Andrew Macphail, "Official History of the Canadian Forces in the Great War 1914 -1919, the Medical Services", Ottawa: F. A. Acland, Kings Printer, 1925.

Seemingly it was quite controversial in what was said in it and similar volumes concentrating on Engineer, Nursing, and Chaplain services were not attempted by the military.

For those with an interest in the Italian ( and other fronts) there are the seven volumes ( plus maps etc) of the Austro Hungarian Official History @ Osterreich-Ungarns Letzter Kreig 1914-1918'

Unlike the German official History it is even printed in ( readable) non gothic script

Adam