Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map required HELP

Aaron Nelson

Hi pals.

Wondering if anyone has a copy of a map (It can even be a modern day map) of the area South East and including Bethune and La Basse Canal. Im interested in finding out where Le Preol is in relation to Bethune.

Also if a general map could be provided showing the layout of the following towns.

Bethune

La Basse

Le Preol

VOILAINES

CAMBRIN

AUCHY

HAISNES

Many thanks in advance to any replies, needing a geography lesson here :P

Best regards Aaron.

Wondering if anyone has a copy of a  map (It can even be a modern day map)  of the area South East and including Bethune and La Basse Canal.  Im interested in finding out where Le Preol is in relation to Bethune.

Also if a general map could be provided showing the layout of the following towns.

Bethune

La Basse

Le Preol

VOILAINES

CAMBRIN

AUCHY

HAISNES

Aaron.

Le Preol was, and still is, just a few houses and is marked by the red arrow. You'll find most of the others you list on this map too.

Dave.

post-357-1118691439.jpg

Dave,

Thanks mate, that was perfect, also got your stuff in the post. It was great!!

cheers Aaron.

You're quite welcome!

Was there a scan of map showing Le Preol on the CD I sent you? It seems very familiar to me. If not, I know that I scanned and posted a segment of 1916 map onto the forum only a few days ago. Might be worth a search.

Dave.

You're quite welcome!

Was there a scan of map showing Le Preol on the CD I sent you? It seems very familiar to me. If not, I know that I scanned and posted a segment of 1916 map onto the forum only a few days ago. Might be worth a search.

Dave.

Aaron.

I'll save you the effort , here it is... (green splodge is 330 bde's 1st position)...

post-357-1118756954.jpg

Dave is there any map relating to WW1 you don't have?

Yes. Hundreds of them!!! :D

(But maybe one day...)

dave.

Yep,

When it comes to maps Daves the man.

Thanks Dave, the Le Preol post is great too. Edwin did send me that as he and I are researching the same unit and we are sharing information. so cheers

Aaron.

Aaron,

Whats your interest in the area then ?

Regards

Leigh

Leigh,

My Great Grandfather was in the 330th Brigade RFA, I am compiling the story of his war time service. According to the diary of 330 Brigade, when they first arrived at the Western Front they were positioned at Le Preol and for a period of about 3 weeks they shelled the towns of VOILAINES, CAMBRIN, AUCHY, HAISNES. Hence my interest in seeking a map of the area.

Best regards Aaron.

Aaron,

Thats interesting, I am doing a similare thing re my Great uncle in the RGA. I have wondered how far back the larger scale artillery were.

What sort of artillerey was your GT GF on?

Regards

Leigh

Leigh

He served in A Battery which were equiped with 18 pounders. Im not sure how much further back the larger scale artillery were. I suspect a number of kilometers, but Im only guessing and I presume it would also depend on the lay of the ground they were operating in etc. I know D Battery in 330 was shelled regulary they were the larger scale unit, so they were still within range of enemy fire.

Best regards Aaron.

• 13 years later...

Hi, 

Very interesting I am researching my Great Grandfather who was at most of these places with the A AA Battery R.G.A. from 1916 to 1918, He was at preol on the 27th May 1918.

He ended the war - according to the war diary at Basicles, Roacheris? Cant find them on any map.

Any ideas?

Regards, Steve.