Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Bn.WEST YORKS

Guest CASSQUINN

Guest CASSQUINN

Hello,

Am seeking background info on the above unit as I am

tracing a relative,3/8952 Sgt.F.Cass,MM.He is buried in Etaples cemetery and I believe he was killed or died of wounds following an assault in the Ypres sector in September 1917.

Would also be interested in anything on his MM,which was

gazetted on 9/12/16.

Guest peter johnson

Hi

Had a look on soldiers died CD your relative was born and enlisted in Leeds, he "Died of Wounds" 22/09/17.

There is no information as to why he recieved the MM in the London Gazzette Supplement, only that he was a private at that time.

The 11th Bn info that I have is from the book "British Regiments 1914-18." by

Brig E.A. JAMES

11th Service Battalion

Formed at York on 10.9.14-K3-to Frensham in 69th Bde, 23rd Div

1.12.14 to Qudenarde Barracks, Aldershot

Feb 1915 to Folkestone & Maidstone

May 1915, Bramshot

26.8.15 Landed at Le Harve

14.11.17 Arrived in Italy

4.11.18 69 Bde, 23rd Div, Italy; near Porcia,west of Pordenone

There are 2 Volumes on the history of the West Yorkshires that you will be able to obtain through your local libary, that may shed more light on what the Battalion was doing in 1917.

Regards

Peter

Guest CASSQUINN

Peter,

Thanks very much.We believed he had died of wounds

as he is buried in a rear area cemetery but weren`t sure.

By way of a little further background for those interested,

Sgt F.[Frank]Cass` brother,Henry[Harry] Cass was also a

Sgt. with the West Yorkshire Regt,though he survived the war.I have Harry`s discharge certificate indicating that he

had served pre-war and was discharged `by purchase of

£1` in 1907 after nearly 5 years service.The certificate is

overwritten with the date of his re-enlistment in 1914.

Harry`s son,George,served with the Durham Light Infantry

in WW2 and was captured in North Africa.

THe National Role of the Great War (Leeds) lists the following

CASS F (MM) Sergt, WEst Yorkshire Regt.

Killed in Action at Albert in 1917

address 11 Draper St, Richmond RD, The Bank, Leeds

Not sure if this is the same person. The National Role is not the most accurate of documents. The regimental Museum has transcribed the Battalion war diaries and will send out copies for a small fee. Mail me for the address if you need it.

the MM could have been won during the attack on Le Sars and the Flers line just west of the Bapaume Rd on the Somme during early October

JOhn

Guest CASSQUINN

Thanks John - This is the same man.I have a letter from the

Territorial Force Records office at Clifton,York addressed to

his wife Ann at the Draper St.address.

The letter gives her the option of having her husbands

decorations publicly presented as he had not survived to

receive them.Not sure if this refers to his MM as the letter

is stamped March 1918,whereas the MM was gazetted in

1916 and Frank did not die until September 1917.

The letter says that if she wishes to publicly receive them

a free railway warrant will be sent,alternatively they will be

posted on.She certainly received them as they are still in the family.

Cassquinn

My own grandfather served in the West Yorks and was also awarded the M.M (gazetted june 1919) awarded for actions in the Sept of 1918, but he applied for the Medal in the Dec of 1919. He was presented with the ribbon in the Nov of 1918. Hope this is of interest,will look at the history tomorrow and see what is mentioned.

Regards Kevin

Cassquinn

A search on the local Leeds newspaper for around the time of his death or for several months prior to his MM gazette will probably be the best option for getting details of the award. If there was a local weekly newspaper for the particular part of the City that would certainly be the best bet. Suggest you give the Leeds Local History library a ring - always a good source of info. Howeevr, don't hold hold your breath.

John

Cassquin

The regimental history has the following to say about the 11th Bn in september 1917 :

...The whole of August and the better part of September were spent out of the line, and it was not until the 18th of the latter month that the battalion left MicMac camp at 9 a.m. and proceeded to relieve the 8th York and Lancaster Regiment, which was then holding the Inverness Copse sub-sector. The battalion strength on going into the line was only twenty-one officers and 590 other ranks, and before the relief was completed twenty-five more casualties had been suffered. The 19th September was spent making final arrangements for the assembly and attack, to take place on the 20th.

The 23rd Division had been ordered to capture the high ground forming part of the Menin Road ridge, the attack to be carried out in three succesive pahes known as the Red, Blue and Green objectives. The 68th Brigade was to attack on the right and the 69th Brigade onthe left, the Division having on its right flank the 41st Division and on the left the 1st Australian Division. On the 69th Briaged front the Red objective was to be assaulted and captured by the 11th West Yorkshires, the blue objective by the 9th Yorkshire Regiment and the green objective by the 10th Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Orders issued from Headquarters stated that : "The advance of the 11th West Yorkshire Regiment will commence at 'Zero' plus three minutes, preceded by a succesion of creeping barrages nearly 1000 yards in depth from 'Zero' hour" Zero hour was 5-40 a.m. on the 20th September.

At 10 p.m. whilst the troops wezre forming up for the assembly, heavy rain felle and continued for an hour. There are no details of the actual positions of assembly in the battalion Diary, but apparantly the 11th West yorkshires had three companies in the front line and one in support, and when allmovements had been completed ready for the attack to begin, the West Yorkshiremen were east of the enemy barrage line Stirling Castel-Clapham Junction. Lt-Colonel M.G.H. Barker (commanding 11th West Yorkshire regiment) after visiting the companbies, handed over his command to major H.H. Hudson and was withdrawn to Brigade Headquarters where he assisted the G.O.C. until the conclusion of the operations on 24th.

Although the task of assembling the troops had been carried out in silence and without a hitch, about 5 a.m. the enemy opened a tentative barrage on the eastern edge of Inverness Copse, wjhich caudsed the West yorkshiremen somewhat heavy losses, nearly fifty other ranks being killed or wounded. But the bararge fortunately lasted only half an hour, and the final hour before "zero" was passed in quietude.

At 5-40 a.m. teh barrage opened and fell with a tremendous crash upon the enemy's trenches. Three minutes later the West Yorkshires advanced to the attack. A mist hung over the battlefield, and observation beyond a couple of hundred yards was impossible; Inverness Copse, attacked by the West Yorkshiremen, was very strongly held, but the British barrage had demoralised the Germans, who were ready to surender. With splendid precision the attack advanced towards the Red line, everything going in clockwork like fashion. In the advance a slight gap occurred between the left and centre companies of theWest Yorkshires, but it was at once gfilled with two platoons of the reserve company under Lt Irving who, on his own initiative, rushed the two platoons upo into the line; By half an hour after "Zero"(6-10 p.m.) the Red line had been captured and consolidation begun, while patrols were pushed forward all along the line to "mop up" as close as possible to the standing barrage, and to discover crossings over the Basseville Beek and surrounding Boggy ground. Dug-outs were cleared of the enemy and other Germans were rounded up in the woods, the "mopping-ip" task being carried out most successfully. Some of the west Yorkshiremen even pushed on through their own barrage and began the assault of the Tower ("Tower hamlets") and the neighbouring dug-outs, the chief of these parties being led by Lt Irving who, the report states, "displayed exceptional initiative, courage and energy."

During this period teh 9th Yorkshire Regiment closed up and prepared to assault the 2nd objective - the blue line. In front of the red line the 11th Westyorkhires had captured some old german Aid posts, and these were handed over to the 9th Yorkshires for battalion headquarters. An advanced report centre at the North west corner of Inverness Copse, which had been established by 2nd Lt Lyne-stpehens of the 11th west yorkshires, did fine work collecting and sending back information and keeping touch with advanced parties of the Brigade; The Brigade Diary relates that : " Isolated cases of fighting still occured in Inverness Copse, and more than one German sent up the S.O.S. from behind, but resistance was soon overpowered The pause enabled direction to be checked by compass by officers in all parts of the line while the men in the best spirits, sat smoking captured German cigars and waiting for the moment of advance.

The battalion Diary concludes with the sentence : " The battalion remained in the line clearing the battlefield until 24th/25th when it was relieved by units of the 98th and 100 Briagdes (33rd Divisoon) and moved back to MicMac Camp.

The losses of teh 11th West yorkshires were severe. All four Company Commanders had been either killed or wounded, the former including Capt. C.A. Town and 2lt F.J. Thomas, whilst two officers-2Lt J Cave and W. baker- died of wounds; three other officers were wounded. Inother ranks the losses were fifty-sux killed, four died of wounds, 208 wounded and ten missing; in all a total of seven officers and 281 other ranks. The battalion medical officer- capt. D.O. Riddell- was wounded on the 21st....

Cheers

Koyli.

Cassquin

A sub note to the above in the Everard Wyrall W.YORKS History it does not have Sgt Frank Cass down with the M.M.?

Also the 3/ or 4/ number before the 4 digt normal means that he was from the 3rd or 4th W York Regt the old 2nd and 4th West Yorks Militia that where based at York and used as reinforcements from end Oct 1914 for the 1st and 2nd Battalions., so Sgt Cass could well of won his M.M in a another battalion,do you have his service records?

Regards Kevin

Guest CASSQUINN

Kevin/Koyli/John,

Thanks for all your replies.I`m afraid I don`t have Franks` service records,so I`m not aware

if he served in more than one battalion during the war.The point about him serving as a militia man in the 3rd Bn. is

interesting as I do know that his brother Harry served in that unit from his discharge certificate in 1907.It seems

quite likely that they served alongside each other.

The regimental history extract is also very helpful.

Cheers.

Cassquinn maybe some kind person, the next time there are at the PRO may look him up in the MIC.

Regards Kevin.

Guest CASSQUINN

To All Pals,

Kevin has made my request for me.If anyone is

heading for the PRO and could spare some time to look up

Sgt.Cass,I`d be very grateful.

I`m relatively new online and I`ve made more progress

through the forum in a few weeks than in months of trawling through the traditional methods.

Cheers